PDA

View Full Version : Fixer-upper

Greg Stoll
07-14-2003, 07:50 PM
I have just obtained a 19' Bartender through a trade for a 15' Fiberglass Seaswirl I had. The Bartender has a good steel trailer and no engine. I got it as a project boat, I've always wanted one, and the price was right (the boat I gave up only cost me $600 to begin with). Therefore, I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer. First, the boat has an area of rot on the port bow, roughly between the middle of the registration numbers to just forward of and below the window (see picture). The boat is plywood sheathed in Fiberglass. What is the best way to replace this? I think I can get it, except that the area has curve and twist, and I'm afraid on losing the shape if I cut out part of the wood, especially if I make the seams in between the frames so that I can use backing plates (butt blocks, is that the right term?) Second, the boat was designed to be powered by a short shaft outboard set in a well. However, I'm having a hard time finding a modern outboard in the 30-50 hp range that is short shaft and still has electric start, remote controls, and a charging system. Is there anyone out there who has a 19' bartender with a long shaft engine? I have to rebuild the engine well anyway (due to some rot on the top), so if it's doable, I figure I might as well do it. Any thoughts? Greg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/pd2709d03d2b260b5420913c506b8bf1b/fbabd00f.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/pd762427e55489af80dadadb8c0a4f52f/fbabcff6.jpg

Bob Cleek
07-14-2003, 08:34 PM
Well, you've properly anticipated the problems, so that shows you're thinking... A lot of plywood is "tortured" into shape and thus, spot repairs are very difficult, if not impossible. I would suggest you consider cutting out the affected area and step-routing a few layers of the good ply, rabeting it inside and out. Then lay up wooden laminations of epoxy in the hole you've made, over lapping the layers on the rabetted area to make a patch. Fair it out and re-glass. Expect that when you go to pull off some of the glass, it will come up in huge strips and won't be adhereing to the plywood worth a damn. Plan to re-sheath the entire boat by the time you get through with it. If you do, use Dynel or glass cloth and epoxy. Polyester resins don't stick well to new, clean wood, and getting them to hold to wood that has already soaked up a bunch of old resin is practically impossible. Good luck finding a short shaft outboard. Call around. Or raise the motor mount! LOL