PDA

View Full Version : What Solvent ?

Leon m
08-02-2004, 11:10 AM
I have just finished epoxying my boat hull
with West 207.Now I am ready to apply varnish.
On the can it says to first clean with amonia
to remove blush, then sand with 120 grit, the
clean with solvent. It does not specify what
KIND of solvent to use,nor does West epoxie.

Should I use just your average paint thiner
with mineral spirits ?

this is the varnish
http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/5437199.jpg

[ 08-02-2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Leon m ]

Todd Bradshaw
08-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Gougeon Brothers used to say you could add a bit of amonia to the water you used to remove blush, but they never suggested straight amonia and most folks don't use any at all. Water and a Scotchbrite pad will do the job just fine without adding any other chemicals to the mix. The same is basically true for the solvent as far as I can tell. I've never washed down an epoxy hull surface with any kind of solvent before painting or varnishing and have had no problems whatsoever with adhesion. The hulls were sanded, wiped down again with water and a Scotchbrite and painted. The fewer stray chemicals you add to the surface, the better from what I can tell.

SC-Lion
08-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Iím sure there will be a lot of different opinions on what is best, so Iíll just throw in my two cents worth.

Personally I use Denatured Alcohol for general prep. Itís very cheap when bought by the gallon. I fill an old quart can up to make it easier to use around the boat.

-Gary

NormMessinger
08-02-2004, 01:37 PM
My bias is with Todd. Solvent, alkihol, paint thinner, acetone, etc., is like chicken soup, it can't hurt. Actually maybe it can. Some inexpensive aceteton is reclaimed and may leave an oily film, or so I've read.

Leon m
08-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Todd Bradshaw:
Gougeon Brothers used to say you could add a bit of amonia to the water you used to remove blush, but they never suggested straight amonia .I should have bean more specific... they recomend
a 1/2 cup amonia to a gallaon of warm water.

So for fear of having the secret varnish police
come and haul me away...I followed the directions
to the letter. First I washed the hull with the
above stated amonia mix, then I sanded with 120
grit,then I wiped it down with specs thinner,let
it dry (evaporate)for about an hour,then applied
the Admirals varnish.

I gotta say...It shore is pertty !

Wild Wassa
08-03-2004, 04:31 AM
The secret varnish police? ... Holy crap Batman you are already under surveillance for not knowing that ammonia and turpentine are degreasers.

Bruce Hooke
08-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Unless the can says otherwise I usually use whatever solvent would be used to thin the paint or varnish I'm applying. That way I know that small leftover amounts will not interfere with the finish. Most such solvents evaporate in a few minutes anyway so by the time I've poured out the varnish or paint into a paint pot the area I just wiped down is dry and ready to be painted. Waiting an hour strikes me as just more time for dust to get back onto the surface and contaminate it again (it's mostly dust that you are removing with a solvent wipedown), but of course if these is much dust around it will land in the wet varnish or paint too, so assuming you've got a clean space waiting an hour shouldn't do any harm.

NormMessinger
08-03-2004, 10:25 AM
My mind is closed on this subject (mostly) so I haven't been reading that closely. Who said wait an hour? Goodness.

Leon m
08-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by NormMessinger:
Who said wait an hour? Goodness.Thats just about the time it took me to eat lunch
and piddle with something else. :D