PDA

View Full Version : HM Royal Mail trumps U.S. Postal Service

Nicholas Carey
01-04-2007, 09:24 PM
According to the Sun: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007000420,00.html

The Royal Mail delivered -- in just 9 days -- a letter with no address: just a name and a hand drawn map of SE England with an arrow saying "Somewhere Here":

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2007000979,00.jpg

Impressive!

On a related note, this book by Harriet Russels, Envelopes: A Puzzling Journey Through the Royal Mail (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400064007/downandoutint-20), chronicles the author's attempts to stymy the Royal Mail -- of more than 130 "challenging envelopes" she dropped in the mail, 120 were successfully delivered:
Open this book, and you will discover a most curious and diverting collection of decorated envelopes, all of which have been sent though the United Kingdom’s Royal Mail system.

In Envelopes, Harriet Russell has created a wealth of different ways of communicating an address: mazes, join the dots, anagrams, illustrations, puns, visual games, experimental fonts, puzzles, and literary wordplay.

You may find it hard to believe that the majority of envelopes arrived at their intended destinations, but they did, and all have postmarks to prove it! Their safe delivery is a tribute to the heroic postal employees who rose to the challenge.

Mrleft8
01-04-2007, 09:45 PM
My mother had a friend who had a habit of sending her odd things in the mail. One day there was a postmarked Coconut in the mail box with a whole page of stamps plastered to it. Addressed to:"Marje who lives with Herb, and used to work at Yale University, Guilford, Ct. USA."
This was back before the days of the centralized postal sorting centers though. I'm sure it would be rotting in a warehouse in Oklahoma today...

Paul Pless
01-04-2007, 09:50 PM
This could be the answer to Jamie's problems!:D

BrianW
01-04-2007, 11:33 PM
That's a cool deal. Thanks for sharing.

elf
01-05-2007, 12:23 AM
I wonder what the US Mails would do if there were no return address? Would they try to figure it out? Legally they can get in trouble if they just pitch the letter, I believe.

paladin
01-05-2007, 06:44 AM
naw...now they open it, read it, and if they dunno like what it sez....they chase down the writer and arrest them.....

S.V. Airlie
01-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Paull Too simple... the USPS likes everything to be in triplicate to begin with...

Gonzalo
01-05-2007, 10:30 AM
A guy I once knew in Isabella, Minnesota got a letter addressed to him as "Toby with the red beard somewhere north of Duluth."

S.V. Airlie
01-05-2007, 10:33 AM
And I keep wondering where all those addressed to Santa Claus go.. My lost mail must have been slipped in...

must be the zip code.. gotta have the zip code right.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I remember being told at school that a letter addressed to

joe smith

aryaba

was correctly delivered to Joseph Smith, who lived in a house in a street off Harwich Harbour.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Lest anyone leave with the impression that the Royal Mail can deliver anything to correct destination in a matter of minutes given only the Across clues from yesterday's Times.

I believe that my mother still has the envelope which took over six months to arrive from the opposite side of Jedburgh.

"To travel is better than to arrive"?