PDA

View Full Version : Progress on Skua

Steve Hornsby
01-03-2007, 01:28 PM
All,

After I built my first and only boat, the Oarling, I was not sure where to go next. I have done a complete turn and have decided to build a sailing dinghy - specifically the boat that doesn't exist - the Skua. I actually ordered plans for the Atkin "Wakeful" powerboat, but wanted a smaller project for now. Somehow I became interested in having a small sailboat after looking at some of the raid sites - so here we are.

As many already know, the SKua is an upsized Tammie Norrie by Iain Oughtred - 118%. It is still not offered as a complete plan package, but apparently will be very soon. After some digging, I was told that Iain would send me the complete plans for Tammie Norrie and the mold patterns for Skua. I simply scale everything up 118%. An extra step and bit challenging for this newbie, but so far so good.

Plans arrived in early December and I found some time over the holidays to get a good start on the boat.

Much of this project will be very new. All is proceeding well so far. I have managed to get the building frame built, molds cut and stem glued. Next will be the transom. This will be a ply boat.

I have decide to set up an album in Imagestation, so I hope the following link works.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2097220240

I can only get about 10 hours a week in on the project so updates may be a bit spread out.

Steve

Hwyl
01-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Good luck, keep us updated.

Thorne
01-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Quite a bit of progress, please keep puttin' the photos up!

Clinton B Chase
01-03-2007, 11:53 PM
10hrs a week is pretty good! HAVE you gotten John Brooks's "How to build glued lapstrake boats" yet? Highly recommend it. Perfect book to couple with Oughtreds "Clinker boatbuilding manual". Have fun. The Skua will be a great RAID boat.

Cheers,
Clint

Steve Hornsby
01-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Clinton,

Yes, I have the books by Brooks and Oughtred - they are great resources for me. I agree it is most helpful to have both.

Thanks,
Steve