double or nothing?

ljb5
12-27-2006, 07:05 PM
why can't it be called escalation?

Too many syllables. Tough to pronounce.

eleseus
12-27-2006, 07:17 PM
why can't it be called escalation?

That is fine with me. There are many things it could be called, that is one of them.

I am trying to remember what ljb was defending Murtha for calling the lefty Dem's "pullout now" plan. It was a classic political euphemism. Uhhhh... any help? "Tactical Re-deployment" was it?

I also just remembered what the ICU said of their getting crushed in Somalia by the Ethiopians yesterday--the ICU Commander called their desperate retreat a "tactical withdrawal" LOL.

JimD
12-27-2006, 08:11 PM
They could call it Operation Desert Storm Surge. Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope what ever it is it doesn't get too many more good people killed for nothing.

eleseus
12-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Not much different from phrases like 'death tax', 'partial birth abortion', 'cut and run', and many others..... designed to have a prime time emotional impact, purely political, invented, synthetic speech.

Aye. Well said.

LeeG
12-27-2006, 08:36 PM
islamofascism?

paladin
12-27-2006, 08:47 PM
"escalation" was used by Johnson on Vietnam......can't use the word again.....

LeeG
12-27-2006, 09:00 PM
damn, gotta wait for the language to evolve before we learn from our mistakes?

eleseus
12-27-2006, 09:07 PM
islamofascism?

No. As harsh as that term is to liberal ears, I think it was coined so as to differentiate between plain Islam and its rabid cousin that we all know exists in large areas around the world. I don't think that the word "fascism" is being used very accurately in that word, though. But there is a type of brutal, supremacist, theocratic Islamism which needed a catch phrase and it got one:rolleyes:

LeeG
12-27-2006, 09:17 PM
No. As harsh as that term is to liberal ears, I think it was coined so as to differentiate between plain Islam and its rabid cousin that we all know exists in large areas around the world. I don't think that the word "fascism" is being used very accurately in that word, though. But there is a type of brutal, supremacist, theocratic Islamism which needed a catch phrase and it got one:rolleyes:

hmm,,couldn't we just differentiate by behaviour or what these people call themselves? As in Zarqawi and his followers are different than Moqtada Sadr because of what they do and not what we call them.

eleseus
12-27-2006, 09:40 PM
hmm,,couldn't we just differentiate by behaviour or what these people call themselves? As in Zarqawi and his followers are different than Moqtada Sadr because of what they do and not what we call them.

No. I find it helpful to know that Zark was a Sunni--close to a Takfiri, actually-- and Sadr is a Shi'ite. Up until the whole death-squad thing, I wouldn't have called Sadr a "Islamofascist"; Z-man was always one, at least since his days of being a pimp in Amman (he really was, hehe). You suggest that we go by what they call themselves--first of all, we have every right to call a spade a spade and invent words if we like, as does everyone else (and they do). Second, big groups of people--of any country--need things dumbed down. This word serves this purpose. It does regular, decent Muslims a favor by distinguishing between them and the savages.

eleseus
12-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Thankfully, we call it the Iraq War, not the 'Let's get some American Soldiers Killed War'.... don't think you'd like that, would ya? Neither would I.

How about the "We helped a bunch of violent camel-beaters by deposing their brutal dictator but they were either too proud or too stupid to make something good out of it and have been slaughtering tens and tens of thousands of civilians in their new found freedom War"?

eleseus
12-27-2006, 09:56 PM
*LOL* Good one.

How about the "I'm too stupid to think for myself so I let the neocons talk me into it and now my legacy is circling the toilet war"?

Nah. That is pretty stupid. But I've come to expect that from you, Norman.:rolleyes:

LeeG
12-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Speaking of stupid and proud, they hate us because we're free.

LeeG
12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
a veritable orgy of hubris, remove the minions who can't celebrate the emperors clothes.

http://zfacts.com/p/447.html

Before the war, White House economic adviser Lawrence Lindsay estimated the cost at $100 to $200 billion. We're now near $300 billion, and annual costs are still rising. The White House got rid of Lindsay and "re-estimated" the cost at $50 to $60 billion.
One problem was a complete lack of realism by the neocons, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz and others. Not only did they assure us the Iraqis would welcome us with open arms and the war would likely end in five to six weeks, but they persuaded much of the country that Iraq's oil would pay for the war. Even if oil production had gone up as predicted instead of down it would not have come close.

"We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction, and relatively soon." – Wolfowitz, March 28, 2003.

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
"Surge" is a good word 'cause it's going to come and go like the tide. There are not enough assets in the sock any more because we have been going at this for too long a time.
To make this into an "escalation" we would have to ship our entire military establishment, including the service academies, over to Iraq and refuse to let anyone come home until the Second Coming.
Whatever appellation you put on this plan it is just another dodge to let the "Decider" drag his feet some more.

eleseus
12-27-2006, 10:08 PM
At least it isn't blatantly racist. Really, now....'camel beaters'?

LOL. "Camel-Beater" is "racist"??? Oh, you're killing me.
BTW--Have you ever been to an Arab country? I have--2 of them--and a visitor is immediately struck by the constant sight of frustrated camel shepards "motivating" their stubborn animals into moving by beating the living crap out of them with long, hardwood sticks(more like a small pole). I honestly saw this close to 50 times in my shorter term adventures there. I find your accusations ridiculous and the product of a mind rendered mushy by years of being told that anything true and unsavory is immediately to be called "racist" followed by a "tut, tut" and you closing your wussy ears to anything that doesn't sound like NPR. Please, spare me your impossibly humorous--though you are serious--characterization of a closeminded, Liberal, and fanatical "keeper of the truth that the working masses will never know, bwahahahahaaaa". Give me a f*cking break, Norman.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Beetlejuice and Filth3 are always pretty quick to throw the names... Oh well, anonymity has its' benefits.

LeeG
12-27-2006, 10:12 PM
shorter term adventures, share with the group.

eleseus
12-27-2006, 10:17 PM
shorter term adventures, share with the group.

Worked in KSA for 3 months in '97. Visited--for 2 months--my Qatari roomate from freshman year in college in 2000. I am still in touch with him. He is a great dude and showed me an amazing time. Such a trip is only possible for the childless self-employed who don't mind being poor.:D

Beowolf
12-27-2006, 10:18 PM
This was on NPR a couple of days ago... Basically it's a combination of a couple of posts from above...

1...No one wants to say escalation because it's too reminiscent of Vietnam.

2...Surges are temporary. Escalations have no defined end in sight.
We don't have the troop population of sustain an escalation, but we could send a few extras over there for a few months.

In a nutshell, this surge couldn't be an escalation, even if it wanted too.

Jeff

stumpbumper
12-27-2006, 10:36 PM
How about "Compassionate Aggression to Finally Achieve Mission Accomplished"??

Joe Dupere
12-28-2006, 08:19 AM
How about "Compassionate Aggression to Finally Achieve Mission Accomplished"??

CAFAMA? I like that. It's got a catchy beat. It could be a Disney tune. Kinda like Hakuna Cafama.

Joe, FPoP