PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in hospital ...

brad9798
12-18-2006, 04:35 PM
About a 75% chance for me.

I had what I thought was a pimple ... or something on my face ... well, it has taken over the entire left side of my face/neck/etc.

I was just diagnosed with severe cellulitis ... and told I will prolly be checking in the hospital for a while in a couple of days.

Boy that will be fun for the kids at Christmas! Ugh.

Seems as if the med. team is a quite uneasy about my recovery ... evidently I waited too long to see the doc.

Not sure what 'quite uneasy' means ... but I am a bit scared.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Seems like we all have crazy crap going on right now ... damn. :(

sawcutmill
12-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Brad, so sorry to hear of your affliction, especially this time of year.I am including a wikipedia definition link of "Cellulitis", as I was also ignorant of what it was, or does.It says that massive doses of anitbiotics and cute Nurses will cure it,lol! stephen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulitis

S.V. Airlie
12-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Good luck.. I hope it's nothing serious and ya fit in a stocking on Christmas Eve..
Thought are with you.

Ken Hutchins
12-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Best wishes and prayers.

The Bigfella
12-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Good luck mate

Phillip Allen
12-18-2006, 05:20 PM
good luck, hope you're better soon

Bill R
12-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Best of luck

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Wow, that's a drag Brad.... hope you recover soon...
In future ... go the damn doctor sooner you bonehead!!!

In the meantime, I hope you get to spend Christmas with the family.:)

paladin
12-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Best of luck.......

Milo Christensen
12-18-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't like that the doc's are uneasy. What are they saying and why wait for a few days before being hospitalized? How fast has this come on?

Nanoose
12-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Wow, that's a drag Brad.... hope you recover soon...
In future ... go the damn doctor sooner you bonehead!!!

Ah, Peter, c'mon...it's that guy thing. You know, "Dr? Me? Go to a dr? You gotta be kidding! I'm not sick!! Docs are for sissies...."

All the best, Brad. This'll be the Christmas the kids'll never forget! "Dad in the hospital! Turkey dinner on Dad's bed! Presents all over Dad's bed! Pictures of Dad, in the hospital bed, under piles of presents, and Christmas paper, and turkey dinner stuff all over his sheets!.....Kewl!!" Can't you see it now. A memory maker for the family.

I sense things will be well. They probably need to give you intravenous antibiotics (?) and keep a good eye on you.

Robbie
12-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Best wishes

Concordia...41
12-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Sorry for your troubles. Especially at what should be a time of year to enjoy your family and reflect on the joy around you.

Thoughts, [prayers], and good wishes for your health.

- Margo

Memphis Mike
12-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Get well soon. Brad.

Dryer lint
12-18-2006, 07:52 PM
that sucks, but when the rest of us are experiencing the post holiday blues youll be gettting out and feeling good about life- something to look foward to.

good luck with your stay, may it be a short one

John B
12-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hear that Brad. best wishes for a speedy recovery.

George Jung
12-18-2006, 08:10 PM
I suspect they're concerned primarily because of the direction of lymphatic drainage from that area (ie, possible cns involvement). OTOH, if they were really concerned, you'd be posting from the ICU, right? Hang in there.

Leon m
12-18-2006, 08:32 PM
That really sucks Brad,I have a good feeling you'll be 100% in short order. Best wishes !

Wild Dingo
12-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Well mate... having just ended a stint in hospital with celucitis and bursitis of the elbow you have my sympathies... but a huge massive gigantuan infusion or several hundred of antibiotics will set you to rights it did for me came away after a couple of weeks layin around in there feeling like an antibiotic factory on legs :rolleyes: :D

Id think their worry would be the lingering pain you may experience... well I do... my elbows still got a golfball on the end of it a couple of months later but voltarin gel is working its majick finally... but Id say its the lingering pain that would concern them I mean a fly lands on my elbow I scream and almost pass out from the searing pain... imagine that on yer moosh! ;eek:

So the missus sneeks up for a pash an lays her lips smack on your afflicted side you scream tear straight up through the roof the little ones race in all consern tears in their eyes worry on their dials only to be confronted by your feets dangling from the ceiling at which point you will hear maniacal giggling from beneath you... kids see the funnniest things in the weirdest of circumstances dont they?... yeah mate that would be it :D

Good luck and hope it all goes well. :cool:

Turkey in hospital??? WOW!! I wanna go to hospital up there!! man... best they get here is cold ham an salad :rolleyes: but Turkey? whahoooo!! AND you get sexy young things takin care of you? man you got it made mate (think positive mate think positive!) see the positives there you are laid up in the bed all misery and woe is me when this real hot young nurse wanders in "and how are we today sir?" she will ask at which point you will sniff and screw up your nose and say "not bad luv but I think someones forgotten to give me my bed bath could you do it please I got visitors coming soon and I dont want to smell... you know..." :o "but sir you dont need a bed bath" at which point you will look her up and down and wink "ooooh yes I do!!" ;) And mate if shes blonde your in like flynn!! :D ahem sorry if shes a bit zany madcapped loose in the top paddock etc your in like flynn ;) (why is everything so damned pc nowadays? its a blonde thing for cryin out loud!!)

Best of luck mate! Cheer up soon enough it will be all good again ;)

brad9798
12-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks to all ... yes- I am a bit concerned ... Always been on top o' the world with regard to health!

I do think it will be fine ... just a bit of an interuption ...

But I just got off phone with doc. Pretty sure I will go in tomorrow ... since I cannot close my mouth now (sure, a blessing to some of you! ;) ) ... 102F fever ... etc., etc.

This sucks.
Certainly I am not TRULY complaining, as I continue to pray for those worse off than me ... but the kids are quite upset ... we don't hide situations from them. :(

Anyway, I am 99.9% certain I will pull through, ... but I think half my face will be removed with a belt sander! :eek: What can you do?!?!?!?

Thanks for the kind thoughts, and PMJ, I AM a bonehead ... since I (assumed) for nearly a month that it was a pimple/in-grown hair ... shame on me! :(

Nanoose
12-18-2006, 09:07 PM
... but I think half my face will be removed with a belt sander! :eeK: :(

See, Brad!? Things are lookin' up already!! :) (sorry! couldn't resist!)

Paul Girouard
12-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Best wish's Brad and hey PJM's one to talk :rolleyes: , did you EVER go to the Doc when ya mangled that finger in the lathe? :rolleyes: :D

Oh ya , thats different, :eek: EH ya NOB :D

Ask um to use a power plane it'll cut cleaner than a beltsander:cool:

Wild Dingo
12-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Always been on top o' the world with regard to health!

I do think it will be fine ... just a bit of an interuption ... See mate just a small wee bump in the face of life... err sorry bout the pun mate ;)

But I just got off phone with doc. Pretty sure I will go in tomorrow ... since I cannot close my mouth now (sure, a blessing to some of you! ;) ) ... 102F fever ... etc., etc. tisk tsk tsk Brad mate!! negatives? do away with the negatives ol son think only positive good thoughts

This sucks. nope... a car sucks fuel a duck sucks water a pump sucks but this doesnt suck... seriously it doesnt... it hurts its a mongrel its a pain in the ass/face but it does not suck... again think positive mate!

Certainly I am not TRULY complaining, Oh you are so too!!!

as I continue to pray for those worse off than me ... but the kids are quite upset ... we don't hide situations from them. :( Kidlets just like hoonberries are very resilliant creatures and although upset now give em a few tics with their toys an such and they'll be right as rain... let em loose to run amok in the hospital and they'll be fine and dandy :D

Anyway, I am 99.9% certain I will pull through, ... but I think half my face will be removed with a belt sander! :eek: What can you do?!?!?!? firstly mate thats better a bit of the ol positive 1 2 no worries :cool: secondly... if it were me and they were gonna be removin half me face with a belt sander... Id be GONE!!! :eek: I mean come on thats a tad rough... oh gotcha thinkin positive again better than plastic surgury right? GOOD ONE MATE!! :D

Thanks for the kind thoughts, and PMJ, I AM a bonehead ... since I (assumed) for nearly a month that it was a pimple/in-grown hair ... shame on me! :(

You werent to know... heck we all get pimples well some people do I dont of course but I know a few people that do as for ingrown hairs on your mug? mmm nah not likely... but seriously you werent to know think positive Peters the bonehead! your gonna be halfahead :D

doorstop
12-18-2006, 09:23 PM
best of luck and I hope all is sorted proper quick mate.

Meerkat
12-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Anyway, I am 99.9% certain I will pull through, ... but I think half my face will be removed with a belt sander! :eek: What can you do?!?!?!?
Ah, they'll just graft a patch of butt skin and you'll be fine. ;)

Just read up on this. I'm really surprised they have not been pouring antibiotics into you for several days now. Whether or not they have, I suspect their first move will be IV antibiotics, which will make you plenty sick, as I know from personal experience. HOPEFULLY, you'll respond to those and recovery will be fairly uneventful. IF they have to resort to surgery, things get a whole lot more complicated.

Look at the bright side though - if you do end up with buttskin on your face, you won't have to shave that part - whoever heard of shaving one's butt? ;)

Meerkat
12-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh yes, and my thoughts are with you, brother. Please have someone keep us posted, please!

brad9798
12-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Will do, Meer ... SUre an A$$ graft will save me some shaving time erry day!!!!

I am really hurting now, unfortunately, ... will prolly check in on Tuesday.

All three (3) kids are rather distressed ... but I keep assuring them that daddy will be just fine. My oldest, 10 years-old, is VERY upset ... breaks my heart to see her so!

AGAIN, thank you for your (international thoughts). WHAT A COMMUNITY!!!!!

Bless the world!

Thanks again,

Brad

Bruce Hooke
12-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

One year, as a kid, I was sick in bed on Christmas day -- so sick I could not even get out of bed to sit wrapped in a blanket near the tree. That year we celebrated Christmas on the 26th. Maybe your family can do something similar.

Mrleft8
12-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Can't we just squeeze yer head like a zit until it pops? ;)
OK OK.....You didn't really expect pablum from me so get over it....
I'll be keeping you in my thoughts though.....Ya bastad! :D

glenallen
12-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Best to you, Brad! Your oldest is 10?
You must be a kid yourself.
I'll be thinking of you and expecting good news soon.
Keep us informed when you can.

Hughman
12-18-2006, 10:16 PM
best wishes, hope you're out of the joint for xmas!

George Jung
12-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Not to be unnecessarily alarmist, but.... why wait until tomorrow?

LeeG
12-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Hang in there,,sounds serious enough

Joe (SoCal)
12-18-2006, 10:21 PM
All the best my friend. I may not be on the forum as often as I was but know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

htom
12-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Get well soon, Brad.

Katherine
12-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Well this sucks, get well soon man. :(

TomF
12-19-2006, 08:41 AM
What everyone else said. Best wishes, Brad.

Chris Coose
12-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Dad getting well can be a Christmas gift. Make that happen. Wear a bow home.
All love,
CC

John Bell
12-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Just caught this... Prayers headed your way, Brad.

brad9798
12-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks again, all ... I truly appreciate it.

Just laying on the couch mostly today ... hoping the meds kick in soon ... really, really trying to avoid hospital.

:)

Meerkat
12-19-2006, 06:32 PM
If the meds are kicking in, you should feel like a medium sized truck ran over you and/or be dozing (like totally zonked) on the couch and or thirsty and or chilly/feverish.

coelacanth2
12-19-2006, 10:29 PM
:( I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles-my family and I will remember you in our prayers. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

ishmael
12-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Brad,

I hope you get to stay home, and this clears up with the oral meds they've given you.

When I first read this it shivered my timbers because I thought, incorrectly, about those awful stories about flesh-eating bacteria. Anyway, stay out of the hospital if you can, but don't fool with this. Better to have Christmas in a hospital room than to get sicker.

Prayers and thoughts.

Jack

Meerkat
12-19-2006, 10:42 PM
There is a necrotizing ("flesh eating") form of Cellulitis. Both this and fasciatis are caused by the same staph germ, although, fortunately, not all staph infections are of the necrotic sort.

This is a potentially very dicy situation! My very best hopes for a prompt response and a speedy recovery! :(

brad9798
12-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Believe me ... it is dicy ... has move down to my neck/left arm ...

Called the doc. and he told me to hold tight ... that tomorrow should be a 'turnaround' day ...

BUT yes, my face will be permanently scarred, at this point. :(

Hell, even my left hip joint is painful now ...

On the brightside, I will not even need a mask next Halloween! ;)

ishmael
12-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Brad,

I'm not a doc. But why, with what you describe, aren't you in the hospital? Do you trust this doc? Only you can know the situation. If you're in trouble, screw Christmas! You need to get whatever you need. I tend to be non-alarmist, but this sounds not dicey, but serious.

I'll continue to pray and offer good thoughts, but with the current system sometimes you've gotta demand things.

I hate to say this, but I think you need to get to hospital. When you said, I'll be permanently scarred, that convinced me. I sense you are being too stoic.

Paul Fitzgerald
12-19-2006, 11:50 PM
It sounds like you need IV antibiotics, let the doctor know you want to go into hospital, or call someone in the ER at the hospital.

brad9798
12-20-2006, 12:15 AM
IV anti's are the next step ... not trying to be stoic, ISh ... just wishing for the best.

I had several injections the other day ... which knocked me on my a$$ ... and have very strong 500mg antiboitic capsules to take 4X per day ...

IF Not better tomorrow afternoon, I will definitely be checking in ...

AGAIN- thanks for the thoughts/prayers.

Hopefully, I will show my scar(s) at the next WB SHow next year!!!! :)

Keith Wilson
12-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Damn, that sounds not only unpleasant but scary! Hope it turns around very soon.

StevenBauer
12-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Good luck, Brad. Wishing for the best. Go in if you have to.

Steven

bamamick
12-20-2006, 07:39 AM
let them do their job. You'll be patched up in no time, and then you and the family can have ANOTHER Christmas. It will be a special time for your kids, and you will no dobut appreciate it, and them, more than ever.

Mickey Lake

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Whatever ya do, take those meds religiously at the same time as prescribed. Don't skip. So many people do, " Oh, I missed taking them. " " Oh well, I double the dose next time "....
You will be fine.. I'm sure of it.

Beowolf
12-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Hang in there, Brad. Keep a healthy dose of good humor around you and things will go much better.

I'll be thinking of you.

Jeff

Mrleft8
12-20-2006, 10:11 AM
And on the plus side...After you get that skin graft, when people call you a "Butt head" you can just grin and say; "Yup!" ;)

John of Phoenix
12-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Just caught up here buddy. My older brother had this on an arm when he was a kid way, way back in the 30’s – before lots of the modern antibiotics. They got him fixed up with minimal scarring but it took some time and was pretty painful.

Get well soon. We’re all pulling for ya.

paladin
12-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Best of luck...they want me the day after Christmas, but all they is gonna do is suck more blood and check to see if I dunno have to do Dialysis......take your meds...but don't over do the Tylenol and similar stuff...

Meerkat
12-20-2006, 02:32 PM
If you want dialysis, I got some great pills that make it smell like i'm peeing burnt tires. The pills are only $65/each, 3 per day. Sigh - I could have a nice dinner and a bottle of wine for 2 for that kind of money.

skuthorp
12-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Brad, missed all this somehow, sounds like things are under way with your problem, hope you come good in a rush. I'll stick you on our Xmas list of friends to think about, Meer too.
You should be up and at 'em by the time I'm back
Jeff and Anne

StevenBauer
12-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I see Brad hasn't posted all day. Maybe he checked in to the hospital. Hopefully some intravenous antibiotics will fix him up.
Get better Brad!

Steven

Stari27
12-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Brad, God bless and may all be right.
PetrB

willmarsh3
12-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Will.

brad9798
12-21-2006, 04:44 PM
I am feeling somewhat better ... still, to date, avoiding hospital.

I actually went outside for some fresh air yesterday ... ate a couple of PB and Jelly sandwiches.

On the brite side, I've about 10 pounds!!

I'll keep (or my wife will) you all posted.

Brad

S.V. Airlie
12-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Good luck Brad.. Hope ya can stay home. If nothing else to be with the family. On the other side of the coin, hospital food sucks.

paladin
12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Yup...the top side of the grass smells fresher.....:D

Nanoose
12-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Update, Brad. What's the latest?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Hope everything is all right...

brad9798
12-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Swelling/inflamtion has gone down considerably ... that is good.

Still don't feel great ... but looks like I may be out of the woods ... so to speak.

I DO APPRECIATE all the thoughts, prayers, etc.

If I am okay tonight/ tomorrow morning, I can stay out for Christmas ... but still will prolly have to go in on the 26th.

I am being monitored closely ...

Phillip Allen
12-23-2006, 09:04 PM
fingers crossed here...

ishmael
12-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Thoughts and prayers. DON'T FOOL WITH THIS. Follow your doc's advice, but figure on your own, too.

Glad to hear things have settled down a bit, but stay attentive.

Ed Harrow
12-23-2006, 10:23 PM
I spend time way and the world goes to hell... But it sounds like things may be a bit better for you, at least you're home for Christmas. Hoping for the best.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-23-2006, 11:25 PM
thanks for reporting in Brad, we were thinking of you

Syed
12-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Hello, Brad, I hope you are feeling better now.
Wishing you best of luck and a very happy, healthy new year and all the times to come. Same goes for all the forumites.

Syed

brad9798
12-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Good news folks. I have responded well to the 1500mg a day antibiotics.

Looks like no hospital time.

Going to doc. again today for another look-see!

Again, thanks to all of you for your international thoughts.

My wife and kids are amazed at what a good 'place' this is. Now she understands (the wife, that is) why I consider folks here friends.

S.V. Airlie
12-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Good news..... I'm glad to hear it Brad...

Memphis Mike
12-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm glad you're doing better, Brad. I didn't want you to die before I made it up there so you could meet me.:D :D :)

brad9798
01-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Well, hell.

I am headed to the ER in just a bit ... cannot seem to beat this with oral antibiotics ...

Oh well, at least I was home for the holidays ...

Brad

P.s. I'll post when I can!!

High C
01-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Crap!

All the best, take care of yourself!

Chris Coose
01-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Sorry to hear this.
I'm thinking of you.

Katherine
01-04-2007, 05:04 PM
This stinks! Get better soon!

ishmael
01-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Best wishes, Brad.

htom
01-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Get well soon, Brad!

S/V Laura Ellen
01-04-2007, 05:38 PM
If a guy volunteers to go to the hospital he must be sick. Take care of your self and get better soon. Does the hospital have Wi-Fi access in the rooms?

John of Phoenix
01-04-2007, 05:57 PM
I was hoping you this on the run.

We're pullin' for ya, buddy.

Memphis Mike
01-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Get well soon!

glenallen
01-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't like the way this is hanging on for a couple of weeks now.
Don't make me come up there.
Best wishes!

John Bell
01-04-2007, 11:52 PM
That sucks, Brad. Get yourself better soon. We'll be putting a good word for you with The Big Guy, s'ok?

BrianW
01-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Our prayers and best wishes (you're free to chose) go out to you for a speedy and full recovery.

Wild Dingo
01-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Hang on mate just hang on! And give the missus and little bits our love too eh?

Scott Rosen
01-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Here's hoping it goes well.

Phillip Allen
01-05-2007, 12:31 PM
looking foward to hearing a favorable outcome...hang in there

brad9798
01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Okay ... checked last Thursday and JUST checked out a bit ago ... what fun run.

Good news:

After eight STRONG anitbiotic IV's per day since Thursday afternoon (vanka, etc.) They feel I am good enough to go home with 875mg of augmentin x3 daily. Enough for a horse! :eek:

Bad news:

I look like junky ... bruised, tracked, bandaged, etc. The Vanka anti is rather noxious to the veins ... they would collapse every time after the IV ... so I had FOUR new ports put in EACH DAY. THAT SUCKED. One should normally last two to three days ... ouuuuuuuuuch.

They ran every conceivable test on me ... literally. You'll be happy to know that I am NOT HIV positive ... ;)

The infectuous disease MD made if very clear that I was septic when I arrived (could hardly walk, as it had gotten into my joints/muscles).

I had seven ... perhaps 14 days to live without treatment.

Anyway, I am sore ... tired, etc. But I am home.

I will not be able to post until probably tomorrow after this session ... as DSL is being worked on in my 'hood.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!

Brad :)

Bruce Hooke
01-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Glad to hear that you are at least on the mend! Take care of yourself...

TomF
01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Thank God, Brad. Thanks for posting to let us know.

Prayers still up.

John of Phoenix
01-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Hang in there.

ishmael
01-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Good to hear you made it out of there with your spirit still in good fettle. Me, I hate's hospitals, and am none too fond of needles. Having multiple IVs sounds nightmarish. I'd never make it as a junkie.

Anyway, you've got a bunch of people here sending you good thoughts. Sounds like a real rough patch. The last time I staggered into the hospital my hematocrit(a measure of blood oxygen capacity, sorta) was off the chart on the wrong end. The docs marveled that I was still mobile. One of the hardest weeks of my life. Twenty years on, I'm still kicking.

Get better, and keep us posted as the spirit moves ya.

Jack

Ken Hutchins
01-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Hang in there.

Stiletto
01-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Best wishes for a good recovery.

Scott Rosen
01-09-2007, 06:38 PM
That's good news. Really glad to hear it.

Hwyl
01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Glad you're O.K. look after yourself.

Keith Wilson
01-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Man, that sounds unpleasant, for sure. I'm really glad you're recovering!

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Wow Brad, I knew you were not recovering as fast as you wanted, but glad to here you were smart enough TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL!!!!!!!!!!

Get well soon.;)

LisaS
01-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Brad -

I'm glad to hear you are on the mend.

Lisa S

George Jung
01-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Just a bump to this thread; Brad, maybe an update?

The Bigfella
01-12-2007, 04:02 AM
Take care mate - best wishes for a speedy recovery

Phillip Allen
01-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Wow! sounds like what happened to my brother last year except he lives by himself and went septic and immobile at the same time and If one of his kids hadn't "happened" to check on him would have died within hours.

turns out that "septic" is crypt(ic)

Paul Fitzgerald
01-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Its easy to do, I was in septic shock for a few days after a ruptured appendix and peritonitis last year.
I only had pain for 24 hours, was operated on 8 hours after I saw the surgeon, all the time with IV antibiotic cover, and was still hypotensive with renal shutdown for two days post op.
Scary stuff, it pays to take infection seriously.

Phillip Allen
01-12-2007, 07:22 AM
okay...with that in mind, what is the difference between "infection" and a boil?

Paul Fitzgerald
01-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Systemic infection usually means fevers, sweats and joint and muscle pains.
Unlike influenza, which is a viral septicaemia (infection in the blood stream), and is generally benign, a bacterial septicaemia can be a life threatening event.
So, if you have a boil (bacterial infection) and develop septicaemia, its potentially serious.
The ready availability of antibiotics has lulled us into a false sense of security about the consequences of bacterial infection. It isn't common for things to go wrong these days, but it still happens.

Memphis Mike
01-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey Brad. How did it go today? I've been thinking of you.