PDA

View Full Version : A whole lotta killin', rape and plunder goin' on.

ishmael
12-15-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm mildly amazed at the proliferation of crime dramas on TV. When I was a kid, Perry Mason was the most purient. Now, if you want, and even if you don't, you're inundated by the most ugly crime dramas. And, and, the constant stories of real criminals.

People believe it. I don't, but people soak this stuff up. I know, I know, it's just drama, writing. But why is this what we are writing, and how does it strike the psyche?

I think one thing that's happened is everybody becomes a suspect. A few years back this wasn't the way it was. I knew the folks on my street. There were an odd assortment of characters, but none of them were assumed nefarious, and none of them(except maybe one, a next door neighbor who was some weird agent) were. They were just folk, and we treated each other like folk.

envoy

I think this pumping of violence and fear into the psyche, simply because it sells well, is a really bad thing.

Mrleft8
12-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Welcome back Jack. Where ya been the last 20 some odd years?

Mrleft8
12-15-2006, 10:30 PM
What do you mean "we?" You aren't writing anything.
Yes he is

Bruce Taylor
12-15-2006, 10:51 PM
My Maggie and a couple of girlfriends pitched a TV show to several networks, recently. One of the characters is an absentminded househusband named Stan, who makes no good use of his extensive schooling & spends all his waking hours daydreaming about boats. While "Margo" is off earning their daily bread, this shiftless sneak is building a boat on the top floor of their Montreal triplex.

(By a strange coincidence, Stan happens to be my middle name).

There's no killin' and rapin' in the show, but one of the networks seems to be interested anyway.

ishmael
12-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Donn,

I admire your skills as an editor, I know that's your metier along with gardening, but you're not a writer. I'm not sure if I am either, and maybe I should go back to school and figure how to shrink people, as a rice bowl.

I have enough moments that warrant further work. I can't seem to help myself, and maybe that's an indication. I asked a genuine question here, I think I asked it well.

LeeG
12-15-2006, 11:33 PM
what's the question?

ishmael
12-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Not to belabor the point, ignoring my writing ability, why are we pumping this stuff into our psyche? Violent vid, everywhere you turn. Don't pretend it isn't going on, or that it hasn't bothered you.

LeeG
12-16-2006, 12:01 AM
why are we pumping this stuff into our psyche? .

is that the question?

eleseus
12-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Donn, What venemous little vermin crawled up your ass? Will you let the guy post a friggin thread without jumping all over him? What is it with you people?

Memphis Mike
12-16-2006, 12:32 AM
"Donn, What venemous little vermin crawled up your ass?"

It's called Gin.

glenallen
12-16-2006, 12:33 AM
I don't watch it, so it doesn't bother me. My wife watches it and likes it. I ask her, "How can you watch that stuff"?
She says, "How can you watch football"?

Writers and producers have no conscience, IMO. They will provide whatever product the audience will consume.

The question could be, "What's wrong with the audience"?

JimD
12-16-2006, 07:19 AM
I think this pumping of violence and fear into the psyche, simply because it sells well, is a really bad thing.

It can't be good. One has to wonder why it sells so well. I like watching some of popular crime shows but some have become so routinely gruesome I don't watch them anymore. I stick to the ones that focus on solving a mystery and skip the ones filled with gratuitous prime time horror.

uncas
12-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Ish.. As you well know, this has been going on for years.. I don't watch many of them...
I like reality.. I watch Jerry Springer... :)

Phillip Allen
12-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Ish.. As you well know, this has been going on for years.. I don't watch many of them...
I like reality.. I watch Jerry Springer... :)

oh, gawd! :)

geeman
12-16-2006, 08:08 AM
My wife can watch the CSI shows and it doesnt bother her.I'm sitting there with my hands over my eyes saying "tell me when its over" , and she's sittin there grinnin.Go figure

Phillip Allen
12-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Women have always been more blood-thirsty than men...and craftier about it

uncas
12-16-2006, 08:20 AM
So, that is why women co-star in Vampire movies.. They like their necks bitten.. I mean ya rarely see a vampire biting a guy on the neck now do ya?

Phillip Allen
12-16-2006, 08:25 AM
vampire stories have always been about sex, lust and domination...women and girls love it.

uncas
12-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Well, I have yet to be bitten by a MALE mosquito...

Phillip Allen
12-16-2006, 08:39 AM
are you sure? have you ever been bitten in California?

uncas
12-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Phillip.. Acftually never been to CA....Not even by accident... I think my luggage went there once without me.. Came back with a big LAX on a ticket...

geeman
12-16-2006, 08:44 AM
They lost your luggage and you GOT IT BACK? NO way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeeG
12-16-2006, 08:44 AM
this thread is done, Jack is sleeping off what he pumped into his system

uncas
12-16-2006, 08:46 AM
geeman.. Ya got a point.. A lot of what I got back wasn't mine....
So.. LeeG.. we will just go on our merry way without him.... LOL

ishmael
12-16-2006, 09:12 AM
The one crime drama I watch with any regularity is "Criminal Minds." It's a little corny when they have a character repeat something out of the DSM just so the audience gets the drift, but I like the psychological plots, and most of the violence is implied. "Numbers" can be interesting too, and I hope it gets young people interested in science and math again.

I don't object to a bit of violence if it's important to the plot, but there are shows where violence and fear are the plot. Especially fear. There are a lot of them, and no, I don't watch them. I don't think they're healthy, no matter how good the writing and the acting.

The first R rated movie I went to, in my teens, was "Straw Dogs." Peckinpaw? In anycase, I wasn't the same for years. Talk about well constructed fear and violence! That film was haunting, especially to a young mind that was fairly sheltered from such. I have to confess, a guilty pleasure was "A Clockwork Orange" just because Kubrick was such a master. It carries a serious message, too. It's been years, and I'm not sure I'd watch it now. Another guilty pleasure was Lynch's "Blue Velvet." Again, a masterwork of a genius. I don't think I'd watch that again, either. I've become much more selective of what I want wandering around my neurons.

I think we ignore the impact of easy violence at our peril. The worst of the shows encourage an image in people's minds of a culture and a world falling apart, and also a compliance toward a very cynical police who don't respect basic rights. The pace, the editing, let alone the content, is violent. They do violence to the mind. We're doing it on a massive scale.

ahp
12-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Why is it that the fundimentalist Christians get all bent out shape with any depiction of sex and witchcraft, but violance and homocide doesn't seem bother them very much? Am I missing something?

geeman
12-16-2006, 10:16 AM
They are a factory,they produce what we buy, its that simple.If we didnt buy the product , they wouldnt produce it.We CAN point the finger at them, but its us that puts the demand in place.
I cant remember the name of the moive off hand ,imagine someone here will remember the movie title.The movie made yeras ago, bout a real murder out in the sticks somewhere ,with the 2 guys that broke in a house and killed the family.The murderers got the death penalty I believe.I think RObert Blake played one of the guys.That movie stuck with me for years.I STILL double check the doors at night.Wish I could remember the movies title, I hate this memory thing.Wife had to come up with Roberts Blakes name for me.

ishmael
12-16-2006, 10:40 AM
"In Cold Blood" from a Truman Capote book of the same title. It's well written, and made Capote's reputation. It's been criticized lately because apparenty Truman was passing a lot of fiction as fact.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need to look at the darkness humans are capable of. I'm just complaining about making it a main entertainment.

geeman
12-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Yep!!!!! Thats the one Jack.It was right on the TIP of my tongue,,,,,,,,,,.Though it was a good movie , for what it was, I still found it hard to watch.I'm a much more romantic type of guy (but dont tell anybody, I have a rep to protect),I like romantic movies where the guy gets the girl in the end and nobody dies.Sort of enjoyed "Message in a bottle" except I would have ended the movie differently.I will watch that movie now but for the end I always stop the movie at the part where he gets killed, and "insert" my own ending.

ishmael
12-16-2006, 11:15 AM
I like those flicks too, Geeman. Guys aren't, supposedly, drawn into those stories, but my favorite films tend to be a little sentimental.

Check out "Dragonfly" with Kevin Costner. A time and space love, adventure story, with a happy ending, that hasn't gratuitious death and violence in focus. Metaphysical implications too, without being very heavy handed.

geeman
12-16-2006, 11:19 AM
I dont care what guys are "supposed" to like. I like what I like,anybody that dont like it can go somewhere else lol.I'm not hung up on macho,like some guys, I will admit to tearing up at a good romantic movie,,,,,,,I can say that here, nobody here will tell anybody,,,,,

George Roberts
12-16-2006, 11:20 AM
TV sells super heroes. They need to conquer super villians.

geeman
12-16-2006, 11:22 AM
I think Tv and movies sell superheros because we buy them.We already know we cant beat the villains in real life, but we can in the movies and tv.

Memphis Mike
12-16-2006, 11:27 AM
I've gotten to where I can't stand to see violence on TV. I can tolerate it in a good movie but I refuse to watch a violent sitcom and really don't watch any sitcoms at all.

I just about don't watch the news either. All they focus on are the bad things going on. You rarely see a bit of reporting on something good and inspirational.

Screw TV. People should turn it off.

Phillip Allen
12-16-2006, 01:14 PM
I've gotten to where I can't stand to see violence on TV. I can tolerate it in a good movie but I refuse to watch a violent sitcom and really don't watch any sitcoms at all.

I just about don't watch the news either. All they focus on are the bad things going on. You rarely see a bit of reporting on something good and inspirational.

Screw TV. People should turn it off.

my life has evolved the same way Mike...

S.V. Airlie
12-16-2006, 01:18 PM
The History channel is worth watching as are Washington Journal and the Discovery channel.. other than that it's basic garbage.. OOOPS QVC is on.. gotta go.. LOL.

paladin
12-18-2006, 06:59 PM
wimmin skeeters biting you Jamie?.......dunno if they wuz guys or gals....but....in Newfyland..........I woke up late one night and there were two of them sitting on the foot of the bed....one sez "shall we eat him here or take him with us?"...the other one sed..."naw eat him here, if we take him with us the big guys will take him"......

and in Goose bay a really big skeeter hit the runway one night and they pumped 3000 gals of avgas innit 'fore the figgered out what it was.....:D