Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lumberdude
    • Aug 2001

Repair advice (pics)

I'm posting a picture of the only place on the boat that needs a bit of repair. I'm not sure how clear the picture is, but we'll see how it turns out.

When I pulled the %$^*)glass layer off, a small piece of one of the cedar strips tore in half. Can I simply fill this with some sort of patching compound before I paint? If the answer is yes, what product do I use? It doesn't look like it will lead to leaks, the piece isn't torn completely through, just some of the grain went with the glass.

lumberdude

[ 02-24-2002, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: lumberdude ]
  • capt jake
    Invisible Senior Member
    • Mar 2002

HMMM, can't see the pic, tried right click and show picture, still nothing.

Comment

• lumberdude
      • Aug 2001

man, I thought I'd never get that pic to show up!

phew!!

lumber

Comment

• Concordia41

Yeah, that was like Shazammm! - First it wasn't there and then shazamm!

Comment

• capt jake
          Invisible Senior Member
          • Mar 2002

Yeah, that was like Shazammm!
          And it was there, still no advice but Shazamm. (did I start that?????)

Comment

• MR. KNOW IT ALL
            • Nov 2001

DUDE....Could you cut or chisel out whats bad and epoxy a Dutchman repair with the same kind of wood. What kind of boat? I see the picture fine and it shows the problem pretty good. Like Gomer says---> http://www.wavsource.com/tv/andy/shazam.wav
            peace----> Kevin in Ohio

Comment

• capt jake
              Invisible Senior Member
              • Mar 2002

That Shazaam link didn't work for me. Was this started (Shazaam that is) off of the MRS Memphis Mike's post, of a 'Friendlier, yet kinder.... ?
              HMM, Interesting, if it caught.

Comment

• lumberdude
                • Aug 2001

I do have the original piece, and I've contemplated epoxying it back in the tear and sanding it smooth. Would that be a better repair than just filling the entire void?

lumber

Comment

• capt jake
                  Invisible Senior Member
                  • Mar 2002

Yes, Yes, Yes!! That is what I would do! Glue her back in there! Sand it down and..... Bright finish (letting that side show again!)

Comment

• Concordia41

Coincidence only there Capt, but I do think we set a new Forum record for hijacking a thread

Comment

• garland reese
                      Been around a while now..
                      • Jan 2000

Hey Lumber,

It does not look like this is causing any kind of structural problem. What type of boat and what type of construction is this? You could just epoxy the piece back in place. What exactly are we looking at in the picture? Are you going to re glass the boat? If so, just glue the piece back in, fair it out nicely and put your glass right over, assuming that this problem is merely cosmetic.
                      Good Luck,
                      Garland

Comment

• Concordia41

If you've still got the piece intact more or less - sand - like wallow out the hole some - and also sand down the back side of the piece - then epoxy. It's not like it would ever fit exactly right anyway and by sanding the joining surfaces back some you'll allow room for the epoxy and not have to sand the outer (top) surface down so aggressively. Make sense?

Comment

• capt jake
                          Invisible Senior Member
                          • Mar 2002

HiJack, did I hear HiJack??? Oh my, might we call out MM (no, definitely NOT) how about Cleek (no, he would soak it in CPES). What are we to do?

I like the fact that NO politics (or the like) have enterd (as of yet)! Notice how I said 'as of yet'. Let's see who the 'fools' are who enter, and banish them to hte Misc. Forum of h..l!
                          Right On, Concordia!!!
                          capt jake

Comment

• NormMessinger
                            • Feb 2000

Two cents more: If you can glue the piece back in I'd think that would be preferable. Easiest would be to just gin up an epoxy wood dust filler if you are feeling lazy, the area is not structural and you are not going to finish bright.

--Norm

Comment

• lumberdude
                              • Aug 2001

Man, you guys have a tendency of saying exactly what I like to hear!! I was hopeing to be able to put the piece back in.

Garlan- It's a cedar strip 14' fishing boat. I don't plan on reglassing unless I have problems later on. My plan is to primer and paint the bottom after I get some sort of fairing compound to smooth out the blemishes.

Thanks guys for the posts!!

lumber

Comment

Working...