PDA

View Full Version : Smith on new planking

fergie
04-24-2003, 09:01 PM
I am closing in on finishing planking on my Haven, and am pondering what's next. I seem to have misplaced my Smith & Co. info on what their recommendations are for using CPES on this cedar on oak hull. Do they recommend coating inside and out with CPES or just outside, and what about the seams. I know there are volumes out there on CPES, but anyone used Smith's recommendations on their hull, and what is the methodology and results? Thanks in advance.

Bob Cleek
04-24-2003, 09:37 PM
It depends on whether or not you are going to paint or varnish over the CPES. CPES has no UV protection and will break down very quickly in sunlight. It is only a sealer for use under other coatings. If you are going to paint or varnish the inside of the boat, then CPES it by all means. If not, you are better off leaving it bare, or better still, coating it with linseed oil and turpentine.

RGM
04-25-2003, 04:06 PM
I imagine that your Haven is carvel planked, right? Don't apply any coating to the exterior hull that would impede the absorbtion of some moisture. Your planks need to soak up some water so they will swell and hopefully provide you with the watertight integrity that you are wishing for. Traditional methods and traditional materials can work suprisingly well together. Good luck.

[ 04-25-2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: RGM ]