PDA

View Full Version : Double sawn Floors ?

Emma56
12-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Does anyone know of examples of double sawn floors, Fastened and glued with scarf joints. The designer of my boat calls for natural-crook floors. With a web height of 6" This would place the top of mast step at 9" I would like to keep the step at that height. And still have at least 12" + arm length :confused: [ I think that natural-crooks would be a bit hard to find

Bob Cleek
12-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Natural crooks are just as plentiful as they ever were. Trees still grow the same. Problem is, most are chainsawed up for firewood, since few mills saw anything but planks. You can sometimes find good compass timber from tree surgeons when they cut up a tree. You can mill your own with a Granberg Alaskan mill and a chainsaw, or with an adze, if you are a Neanderthal.

As for examples of double (or more) sawn floors, look no farther than most every wooden ship ever built. No problem with double sawn floors. Bed well between the futtocks, of course.

djswan
12-07-2006, 03:20 PM
That's Mr. Neanderthal. Gotta love adzing, but use a hewing axe for crucks to rough them out. Plenty of people working with crucks and plenty of crucks. Derek

Bruce Hooke
12-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Be careful not to re-create the situation that sank a Redningskoite a few years back. As I recall, the mast step acted like a wedge -- heavy seas forced the step down which pushed each half of the double-sawn floors out, thus opening up the garboard seams. There was an article in WoodenBoat a few years back about it.