PDA

View Full Version : Vent Window Lament

Backfin
11-29-2006, 07:16 AM
I miss those little triangular bits of driving pleasure.

http://www.noneckschevelle.com/images/carpics/davemalibu.jpg

moTthediesel
11-29-2006, 08:32 AM
I'd almost forgotten just how great vent windows were until I bought my beat up '92 Dodge/Cummins two years ago. Yes, that's right, Dodge Ram pickups still had vents until the redesign of '94.
Maybe the last domestic vehicle to have them??
moT

Mrleft8
11-29-2006, 08:38 AM
My '93 F-150 has 'em. They get used at least twice a year...

Tealsmith
11-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Those things kept me from dying of second hand smoke when I was a kid.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-29-2006, 01:14 PM
I had footwell vents in an 89 volvo 740 station wagon - grand things.

The last set of sidelights (the triangular thingies) I owned were in a 1971 1500cc VW Beetle - good ventilation but then there was no way to turn the heating off.....

brad9798
11-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Wranglers had them 'til '95! Also had the vent on the floor.

Leon m
11-29-2006, 01:20 PM
I miss windows you could "crank" down too.

Popeye
11-29-2006, 01:21 PM
i recall a box with a latch on the dodge dart (72 maybe) in the footwell , i could bend forward in my seat , which was easy since i was wearing a lap belt only , and open the box for a nice blast of road dust in my face and then some fresh air

Popeye
11-29-2006, 01:24 PM
my friend had a jeep that had two independant windshield wipers and each one had it's own on/off switch mounted in the headliner

ah , the hours and hours of exhilerating fun those provided

John B
11-29-2006, 03:51 PM
My mates Mk II jag has them . He just got it back after a loooong time away at an artiste upholsterers for a total interior jobby. Anyway , we went for fang out to look at a boat on monday and we discussed how wonderful the things are. I've an old E type coupe and they are reknowned for no air flow and generally cooking the occupants through engine/ exhaust heat.( vent window envy).

Not as good as the cowl vent... the one in front of the windscreen on my old jailbar though( come to think of it)... now those suckers really work well.:D kinda give you a bit of a Kramer hairstyle when you first open it .( can I use that reference still, or is he persona non grata)

A further meandering thought on this miserable wet stormy 'its going to carry on all weekend and ruin or write off your first sail of the season john' day,
a friend opened a suicide door on a 39 Ford sedan at about 20 mph once. He was well ventilated all right when we went back and picked him up. the door was a bit sick as well.

Nicholas Carey
11-29-2006, 05:35 PM
I had footwell vents in an 89 volvo 740 station wagon - grand things.

The last set of sidelights (the triangular thingies) I owned were in a 1971 1500cc VW Beetle - good ventilation but then there was no way to turn the heating off.....Usually with VWs, the problem was getting the heat to work -- the heater boxes were stamped sheet metal and would rust out as soon as the words "winter, water, salt" were mentioned within 50 feet of the car :D

I have [not-so] fond memories of driving across Iowa in a '69 VW microbus during the winter (-15 deg F). Ice scraper in one hand, scraping the inside of the windshield as I went 'cause it was frosting over from my breath. Brrr....

Backfin
11-29-2006, 07:32 PM
I once drove 7hrs. in the snow in a '68 VW Type III nothchback. Three hours into the trip I figured out that those two mysterious levers next to the seatbelt buckles were the heat. Also had a buddy who had a microbus with some kind of beer can duct sytem for heat.:)