PDA

View Full Version : Dad's 80th B-day dinner

Mrleft8
11-28-2006, 11:38 AM
So my father turns 80 on Thursday, and I've invited him up for dinner.... I was thinking Alaskan King Crab legs....Haven't had them in 20 some odd years.... Artichokes, home made fries..... Carter won't eat the artichokes, and will prolly just mash the crab up and push it around her plate.....Maybe I'll make her something else.....OR.....I could do something entirely different..... Any suggestions?

Concordia...41
11-28-2006, 11:42 AM
What's your dad's favorite? Something he did for you as a kid? Hot dogs & ice cream?

Maybe something your mom always made for him on his birthday? Do something to reinforce a good memory.

- M

Mrleft8
11-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Could do lobstah, but I KNOW Carter won't eat that. She can barely sit at the table with lobstahs.... (Lived with a lobstahman on Nantucket for several years. The smell of 'em makes her gag now)

Lew Barrett
11-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Norman, I'd agree (with your family that is, as I love lobster) and have a minor preference for lobster over king crab, but if there is anything that crawls the bottom of the sea that I like virtually as well as lobster, it is king crab, and actually, good crab is so similar in flavor and texture (and price) to lobster that it does the job for me, a confirmed lobster lover. Furthermore, I find it easier to dissect crab legs than a good Maine lobster, though I admit a great part of the pleasure in a lobster is tearing into it and getting the most back out. Last, crab takes the same preperation; steam and eat with butter.

Hwyl
11-28-2006, 11:54 AM
http://hooters.know-where.com/hooters/site/3/181.gif

Another One
11-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Scallops - place in oven-safe dish, add whatever you feel to be the appropriate amount of olive oil, white wine, and lemon pepper. Roast at 420 for about 10 minutes (if frozen) or until meat is opaque and flakey. Easy and wonderful, especially with crusty bread to soak up the juice. (I keep individual portions of frozen scallops in the freezer for myself on days when the rest of the family is eating roast beast.)

Or mussels - put about twice what you consider a reasonable amount on the bottom of a large pan, add a good slug or 8 of white wine, some butter, and maybe some taragon. Cover and place over low flame, steaming until the shells open. Again, a good loaf of crusty bread enhances the experience.

Oh, and maybe a special cake and good coffee afterwards?

Lew Barrett
11-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Correct! It is pre-cooked at sea, so you just steam it quickly and gently and serve. Probably a more common item here on the west coast where it does indeed hold the same rank as lobster. One nice thing about it is that there is very little waste. You probably get more meat per pound than with live lobster; not unlike getting tails. Of course, one misses out on the gooey, steamy (and I think delicious) aspects of eating lobster. No tamale and the pickins that appeals to lobster purists. Still, a marvelous meal.

Mrleft8
11-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Well...... I just came back from looking at King Crab legs..... I wasn't impressed. Now I think I remember why it's been 20 some years since I ate it. When you live in live lobstah land, why eat frozen food from the other side?
My sister has suggested thick rib lamb chops. I think she may be on the mark. About twice the price of lobstah, but......

LeeG
11-28-2006, 02:38 PM
What's your dad's favorite? Something he did for you as a kid? Hot dogs & ice cream?

Maybe something your mom always made for him on his birthday? Do something to reinforce a good memory.

- M

smart suggestion. I took my dad out to an Indian restaurant, he can't hear worth beans and refuses to get a hearing aid but the food elicited fun memories, I just nodded my head and smiled occasionally.

Mrleft8
11-28-2006, 05:02 PM
If I follow Margo's idea, we'll be having cereal and chocolate icecream.... :D
Dad never was much of a cook. Even grilling he was pretty much a spectator. I learned to cook young as a result. Women can't grill..... (Ducking, running and hiding!......FAST!)

Another One
11-28-2006, 05:26 PM
As Rita Rudner says, "Men like to barbecue. Men will cook if danger is involved." And if they're willing, why on earth would we stop them? :D

Figment
11-28-2006, 06:37 PM
The lamb is an easy winner. Rosemary and garlic.

brad9798
11-28-2006, 06:47 PM
I prefer SNOW crab vs. King legs ... sweeter, etc. in my opinion!

I agree, though, what did pops love when he was younger?

That's the TICKET!!!!

Good luck! :)

Mrleft8
11-28-2006, 10:48 PM
What did dad love when he was younger....? Pretty much anything except (It now turns out after 45 years of me thinking he loved them) peas.
My father has always been a "Eat whats on the plate, no matter what it is" kinda guy.
One of the funniest stories I remember from a trip that Mom and Dad made through Europe with a couple of friends when I was a lil' kid was....: They were in Italy. None spoke Italian,but 2 of them had been reading phrase books, so they were trying..... Dad saw an item on a menu for "Roni.....(something) So he asked the waiter to describe it. The waiter made little jumping gestures with his fingers, and peeping sounds.... So Dad figured it was frogs legs, and ordered.
It was whole frogs in a garlic sauce. Tiny, tiny frogs....Spring peepers prolly.... I'm not sure who suffered more that night, Dad, or Mom.... :D