PDA

View Full Version : Cat V. Dog psychology

ishmael
11-21-2006, 02:28 PM
As some of you know, I miss my dog very much somedays. But I've got this cat now, that is also a pip.

It got me thinkin', always dangerous, about the differences in their psychologies.

Sheba the dog was the most straightforward creature I've ever met. She loved everyone, was a bit goofy about it, and never held thought or intention in reserve. This cat, who I like well too, is much more subtle. I'm not at all sure what's going on in her mind. Just when I think I've got her figured, she'll turn and bite me. Usually just a nip, but occasionally really hard.

What are your thoughts? I try to be judicious, but they are very different minds. I'm not sure which I like better. The doggy was so very sweet, and cat is not, at all.

Phillip Allen
11-21-2006, 02:36 PM
I admire cats...I do not admire dogs

Popeye
11-21-2006, 02:36 PM
my cat grabs on and bites and kicks when i scritch-scratch his belly , i think it's a cat thing

i've learned to keep it above the equator

paladin
11-21-2006, 03:26 PM
I've only had one house kat...a big black and white Sylvester type, that seemed to tolerate people, but slept with the dawg, would sit and beg like the dawg, would ring the bell when he wanted in or out, but never sat in my lap like the dawg.....lived to be about 20......
Then I raised two ocelots from kittens that thought they were dawgs...and Sasha, the tiger kitten......they didn't seem like cats at all....never tried to psychoanalyse them though...they were critters...and generally smarter than me....they would get food, warm shelter and loving from me and didn't have to work for it...

Keith Wilson
11-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Dogs are pack animals with strong dominance hierarchies. Cats are mostly solitary. It all follows from that.

I am the cat that walks by himself,
and all places are alike to me.

ishmael
11-21-2006, 04:13 PM
"I admire cats...I do not admire dogs."

I like both of them, but they are definatlely different.Wumpous doesn't have much respect or love, yet she makes certain I like her. She's very savvy that way. Sheba was open. She loved being with me, with any human who loved her back. And love meant good rubs, and joy in her presence. Toss the ball, com'on dad, toss the ball! Cats are very different.

How they each relate to humans is fascinating.

ken_nyus
11-21-2006, 04:37 PM
my cat grabs on and bites and kicks when i scritch-scratch his belly , i think it's a cat thing

i've learned to keep it above the equator

It just takes time, sometimes alot of time.

My girlfriends two cats now both roll on their back and show me their belly when they see me, waiting for a pet and scratch.

I can put both of them to sleep that way. They look pretty silly laying on their back, legs all out sleeping. My girlfriend thinks I have ruined them and turned them into non-cats.

I have also taught one of them (and several other cats in the past) to allow me to help them stretch, with one hand on the back below the shoulder joints, and the other hand on the front in the "armpit" area, giving me leverage to push the stretch.

It may take a year or more to teach a cat these things though, and to let them know you mean no harm. The stretch trick takes alot of time because it is so hard to get the first one in. You have to wait for the right moment, when the cat is on it's side stretching, and the best time is a stretch when they just wake up and they are still sleepy, and you can get in there and help them before they think about it too much.

Cats just take alot more time, years sometimes.

Dogs are just too easy.

Meerkat
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Dogs are whores, cats are courtisans. ;)

Moose
11-21-2006, 05:12 PM
I disagree. Cat's are pompous and distant yet pathetically needy when they want something. Dogs are just needy. If I'm choosing a companion, I'll take one that actually cares if I'm happy rather than one who just stops by every once in a while to eat and destroy my furniture.

My two Huskies (Chowder and The Moose) and even my fiancee's pug echo my sentiments. They have a very strict no cat policy in our house. I tried to tell them that this is profiling, but they're blessedly un-PC....

Phil Heffernan
11-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Dogs are just too easy.

Not at all, old bean, you actually have it backwards. They are the most complex of creatures, as they seem to be among the few that can get on the same wavelength as their roomates, the Humans...
;)

One's relationship with a dog can be as deep, or as shallow, as you wish to make it. Cats, OTOH, are always in their own little world...

I am so bored with my two cats....Walker, though, is a constant joy, as we truly communicate with each other, on a profound level of unconditional love...He is, in fact, my best friend...:cool:

PH

Meerkat
11-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Joe will be heart broken. ;)

Phil Heffernan
11-21-2006, 05:24 PM
He'll get over it:D

PH

elf
11-21-2006, 06:14 PM
I've had 15 cats or so over the last 40 years and the only generalization I can make about them is that they can be trained to be independent, clean people if they are smart and you start when they're no more than 8 weeks old, but will remain boring if they're stupid.

A smart cat has it all over any dog, since it is capable of having a unique personality. Dogs are stuck unable to be anything but a dog.

JimD
11-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. And pigs see us as equals - Winston Churchill.

Memphis Mike
11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Uh oh. Here's the cat thread. Homos will be next.:rolleyes:

Ken Hutchins
11-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Our 2 Norfolks have a strict policy, the cat stays on the 2nd floor of the house, any infringment of that policy results in immediate disciplinary action. :D :D The only savior the cat has it can jump onto higher places than the dogs can.

Phillip Allen
11-21-2006, 07:03 PM
I've had several cats in my lifetime which were prone to whip any dog...ANY dog...I like that in a cat.

ishmael
11-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Wumpous hasn't been around a dog in my sight. Given how she uses her claws, the dog better be bigger than forty pounds, and better be ready to fight.

She's become pretty placid with me, but, frankly, I wouldn't want to take her on if she had a head of steam up. Sheba, who was forty pounds, would have killed her in that issue. Sheba was very quick. But it would have come at the cost of some skin, and maybe an eye.

I don't like to think on such martial fantasies. Sheba is my dear one, wumpous an interesting cat. I think they would have gotten along like civilized folk do.

Dick Wynne
11-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Forgive the length, but this came my way a couple of weeks back, no idea where it originated:

EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY

Day 180
8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 pm - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 pm - OH BOY! MUM! MY FAVORITE!

Day 181

Day 182
1:30 pm - OOOOOOOH. BATH. BUMMER!

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY

DAY 183
My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling
objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry
cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and
the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece
of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 184
Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their
feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of
the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile
oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their
favorite chair ... Must try this on their bed.

DAY 185
Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in
attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try
to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about
what a good little cat I was ... Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 186
I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason
I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it
included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds
could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still
stuck between my teeth.

DAY 187
There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was
placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear
the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer".
More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of
"allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 188
I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe
snitches.

The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return.
He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got
to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am
certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the
metal room, his safety is assured.

But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...