PDA

View Full Version : How lumber is priced?

Art Read
03-17-2002, 02:27 AM
Scratching my head after looking a little more closely at the reciept I just recieved for some wood I recently ordered. 8/4" x 6"UP x 12'UP = 39 board feet?!? Am I missing something here? Isn't a "board foot" usually 4/4" x 12" x 1'? So my order should have been more like 12 board feet, no? (2 x .5 x 12?) What do the letters "UP" signify? Uncut product perhaps? I had this order re-sawn for me, and it didn't dawn on me when I picked it up to do the math to figure out just how big a hunk of wood it must have originally come from. I WAS a bit taken aback by the total however! Is it possible they might have made such a basic mistake, or am I just not reading this right? Even waste from resawing couldn't acount for that big a discrepency could it? :confused:

[ 03-17-2002, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Art Read ]

Roger Stouff
03-17-2002, 07:40 AM
Sounds like 12 bf to me. Dunno what they did.

Here's a neat tool I found:

Board foot calculator (http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/tabulator.htm)

htom
03-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Looks like 12 bf to me, too.

If they'd cut down a 10/4 x 8" x 12', I could understand a bill for 20 bf, but I wouldn't like it.

Maybe they price resawing by multiplying the actual board feet x some factor? Maybe they just made a mistake, billed you for a plank on someone else's order?

Don Maurer
03-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Was the invoice for a single piece or several? It sounds like the price per board foot depends on thickness, width and length. I would expect from the bill that you got 39 bd ft from rough stock of 8/4 x 6"+ x 12'+. Roughly 3 pieces 12' long or equivalent.

NormMessinger
03-17-2002, 11:49 AM
Sounds like 12 bd.ft. to me but only the guy that made up the invoice can tell you for sure. Please let us know what he says.

--Norm

Bill Perkins
03-17-2002, 12:05 PM
I think UP means UnPlaned after the resaw .The bill makes no sence , unless they took a slice off a 6 by 6 and charged you for the whole thing .

RGM
03-17-2002, 09:47 PM
So Art, did you get charged for the fall-off from the re-saw (that you didn't receive) in addition to a handling and re-saw fee that was not itemized separately on your invoice? If I could make one guess as to who you purchased this stock from I bet it would be .... , I better not say here. Reach me offline, inquiring minds want to know.

Art Read
03-18-2002, 12:12 AM
RGM... Based on our phone conversation about plywood a while back, I'd say you've guessed correctly about the supplier. I'm gonna call 'em tommorow and see what's up, so I won't mention any names either until I hear what they have to say. I was, in fact, charged a seperate re-saw fee, and it's on the invoice. I expected that. But I think the board foot amount must be just a ""clerical" error. I had called for priceing on a "ballparked" amount before actually measuring for it on the boat. A couple hours later, after shopping around a bit and checking my measurements, I called back and placed the order, but for about half the amount I'd had quoted to me earlier. The guy who took the order was still refering to his old notes when he wrote it up. I think he must have just plugged the earlier "board foot" amount in while entering the correct information in the "cut" order. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. The numbers would be about right if it had been the original amount. Still, it's hard to imagine them not catching it... (Harder still to imagine ME not "catching" it!) The amount I actually received seems just about right. (plus the re-saw fall off, which they did include...) The 39 board feet would have been WAY too much. And I just can't see that the waste could have possibly amounted to DOUBLE the yeild?

[ 03-18-2002, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Art Read ]

Art Read
03-21-2002, 12:57 PM
Just got a call back from the guy that put my order together. "Somebody" goofed. Got a nice apology and a credit for 14 board feet's worth on my card. This will teach me to look at the invoices more carefully from now on!

Paul Scheuer
03-21-2002, 06:55 PM
Art: 39 - 14 = 12 ? What am I missing ?

Art Read
03-21-2002, 08:00 PM
Actually, that's about right. Before calling them, I figured out what would have been a "reasonable" amount based on the yeild, and came up with about 24 board feet. The invoice only mentioned the 8/4 x 6 x 12 dimensions to specify the minimum size lumber they were going to use to rip my stuff out of for pricing purposes. Turns out they used two of 'em to get the quantity of finished stock I needed. I'm satisfied.

[ 03-22-2002, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Art Read ]

Ron Williamson
03-22-2002, 06:11 AM
They may also charge for "shrinkage".i think that around here it is about 3%.It is the difference between the green dimension and the dried dimension.
R