PDA

View Full Version : Plastic staples

Ted D
09-25-2005, 02:29 PM
At the Wooden Boat show in Newport I saw a boat that had been cold molded. The builders said that they had used plastic staples to hold the strip planking on while the epoxy dried. Then they left the staples in and sanded right over them. I thought they said that the mfg's name was Airtech or Airteck, but when I try to get them on line I get an Airline. Has anyone heard of these plastic staples? If so, would you kindly send me any info as to the manufacturer and how I may reach them. thanks. Ted D

DerekW
09-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Raptor (http://www.raptornails.com/english/firstframe.html) advertise a wide variety of staples [and nails too] made from 'engineered polymer'. That's plastic to me smile.gif

cheers
Derek

Whiffle English
09-26-2005, 07:33 PM
we are starting to use raptor's plastic nails on the boat we are building, the Hannah & Sarah, designed by Paul Gartside a couple of years ago as an outgrowth of of a class I took with him at WBS. For a look at the boat, see the last issue of Boat Design Quarterly. It is listed there as Gartside #143.
We are shooting them with a pneumatic gun and so far it seems a very efficient and cost effective way of binding things together. We have a lot of shooting yet to go, and then we have to sand the things off, but I am optimistic. I'll try to remember to give a report when we are done.
Oh yes, we are using plastic nails instead of staples because of the dimensions of the wood we are using; this on the recomendation of the raptor people.

Bill Perkins
09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
I'd be interested to hear what nail they suggested , for what species and thickness of wood . I went with the stapler .Ted there was another thread on this subject not too long ago , you might be able to find it . Bill

[ 09-26-2005, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Bill Perkins ]

Kim Whitmyre
09-26-2005, 08:14 PM
I checked out the website, but did not see any air staplers, only the "hammer tacker" type. Did I just miss em? Or do the staples fit most standard air staplers?

kc8pql
09-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Kim Whitmyre:
I checked out the website, but did not see any air staplers, only the "hammer tacker" type. Did I just miss em? Or do the staples fit most standard air staplers?Look under "Recommended Tool" next to the staples on the catalog page. They show both hammer tackers and air staplers.

[ 09-26-2005, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: kc8pql ]

Whiffle English
09-28-2005, 09:23 PM
The species is western red cedar, 3/8th thick.

LLaver
09-29-2005, 05:34 AM
Anyone know of a supplier of plasic staples and nails in Australia.

Lee

paladin
09-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I dunno but got a few in me I dunno need no moore...

Peter Page
09-30-2005, 06:31 AM
Raptor told me they post to Australia
Peter

[ 09-30-2005, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Peter Page ]

Bill Perkins
09-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Whiffle , I used the 9/16th staples on 1/4 in cedar ,which were just adequate on the tightest bends . I'm wondering if the nail guns gunk up less than the staple guns .Do you have to disassemble and clean the tool at the end of a session ?

Whiffle English
10-01-2005, 03:01 AM
well..we try to keep the gun CLEAN! even wrap it in a plastic baggie and shoot through it. But you bet...clean it after each use. really clean it.

It's an expensive tool and epoxy would make it into an expensive piece of metal sculpture pretty quickly, I would think.

[ 10-01-2005, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Whiffle English ]

Carlsboats
10-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Raptor staples work fine. All they are
doing is provide clamping pressure while
glue dries. They sand or plane off without
problems, and disappear under priner and
paint. I just launched a 19 footer put together
with a strip planked white cedar inner layer plus two layers of 1/8" spanish cedar, laid diagonally.
Once sanded and painted, it is totally seamless.

Ted D
10-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all your help. Raptornails.com is the site where I found what I was looking for. I'm attaching 1/8" Okoume ply to mahogany frames and I want to hold it tight while the epoxy dries. They tried to sell me on nails because they are easier to sand off than the staples. The cost of the air nailer was like $390.00. The cost of the staple gun is like less than $60.00. I asked if I could use a hammer on the nails, "No, they said, they'd shatter." "Gee," I said "Thats too bad, I'll go with the stapler." I'd rather sand the staples than pull the darn things out. Thanks again. Ted