PDA

View Full Version : Bilge stringer rot?

Buzz
07-17-2001, 11:03 PM
Hi all. Im restoring a 34 foot fishing trawler. Removing the fish holds revealed considerable dry rot in alot of the ribs and in the bilge stringers.Iam not overly concerned with replacing a few ribs, but the bilge stringers have me concerned. My question.. Should I 1. laminate new wood to the existing rotten stringer and cpes. the existing wood.

2. cut and replace the rotten section.

3. or replace the entire stringer.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RGM
07-17-2001, 11:28 PM
Hi Buzz, I think what you've got is a troller not trawler, right? Crop-out and replace the deteriorated section of stringer using the following guidelines:
1. Round up your replacement air dried (approx. 15% moisture content), high quality Doug fir or Yellow cedar lumber. Greener if you have to steam it.
2. Layout a generous section for removal, decay is like the tip of an iceberg.
3. Scarf the new wood to the old, not less than 6:1 ratio for what you are doing. Go longer if possible.
4. Poison all your new work and existing, properly bed and even paint faying surfaces.
6. Replacing the entire stringer can be quite a task. Don't do it unless it's necessary.
7. Don't waste your time and money attemting a lamination repair to decayed wood, especially to something as significant as a bilge stringer in a commercial boat.