PDA

View Full Version : Footloose

Frank Pellegrino
12-30-2002, 09:18 PM
Has anyone built "footloose" designed by Jordan. This seems like a boat that would suite my needs. I am concerned about the performance of the sprit rig on this boat. Some builders of the catspaw have expressed dissapointment with the windward ability of their boats,also sprit rigged, but I don't know if this is a problem with the boat or the rig. I don't expect j-boat performance out of this rig but I will need to beat out of a fairly narrow inlet to get out of my creek and I really don't want to put an engine on the boat. Has anyone built this boat with an alternative rig?

imported_Conrad
12-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Frank- I'm not familiar with the particular design you're interested in, but can tell you the challenge is probably the rig. I've had and/or sailed a number of sprit rigged boats, and while I love the look of the rig, going to windward's not its best point (no pun intended).

Everything's relative though- they sail well otherwise, and can have a low center of effort to help improve the sense of stability in a small boat. For my own kids' boats I'm going to use modified wind surfer rigs- the carbon masts are light, and the sails colorful and very efficient, letting them get a better, perhaps less frustrating initial sailing experience. But I don't mind the somewhat discordant look, and see beauty in efficiency and economy. Good luck!

Venchka
12-31-2002, 12:42 PM
John Kohnen of John's Nautical and Boatbuilding Page fame owns a Footloose named "Pickle".

A picture here:

Pickle (http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/01/Pickle.jpg)