PDA

View Full Version : Completely Wireless

brad9798
11-07-2006, 04:50 PM
All the complaints (here and elsewhere) about the candidate phone calls, etc. made me very happy to be a completely wireless household.

When we built our home three years ago, we made the switch from having a landline to strictly wireless communications.

Of course, we are somewhat wired (DSL and an unpublished fax line).

That being said, it was a wise and economically viable choice.

When any of our phones ring, we know who it is ... no one we do not want to (have our number) has our number(s).

Has worked out wonderfully.

I have read where about one in 10 homes operates in this manner ... and that it is growing consistenly.

Anyone else around her run their phone communications strictly on a wireless basis?

Just curious!

Tom Montgomery
11-07-2006, 04:54 PM
I dropped the land line a little over two years ago and have never looked back.

paladin
11-07-2006, 04:58 PM
I have the DSL line, and yesterday took delivery of a 3 watt repeater...it sits in the car, and when I turn on the little underpowered cell phone, it translates the signal and boosts it to the full legal power limit. I purchased one to install on the boat, but never did.....offshore it would hit a cell site 40-50 miles as solid as sitting next to a cell tower...

JTA
11-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Tried for 1 year. Very poor reception at our house. Got tired of going outside and standing in just the right spot to talk on the phone. If we had better reception, I would go back. We do not talk enough to justify having a home phone but, our parents are getting older and we want them to be able to reach us at any time. That is why we got the land line back.

Jack

brad9798
11-07-2006, 05:05 PM
That makes sense, Jack.

Obviously, it doesn't work for all.

Repeater eh Chuck. Could that on the water!

paladin
11-07-2006, 05:51 PM
yup.......that's what I was working toward....you might be out of sight by Bimini, but not for long, and once within 35-40 miles of a bahamian station you could be within cell working range all the way to St. Lucia....You could use an amplifier on the boat and just plug the cell into it for complete bilateral amplification, or install the repeater in the boat, and be completely wireless no matter where on the boat you were working from....same spectral bandwidth as your cell phone with all it's capabilities....same amplifiers that I use on the cellular jammers....

RichKrough
11-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Cell service is poor at my house even though I am in a suburban area.
Since I burn up a lot minutes with my work now I have a $39.95 unlimited local and long distance Verizon land line package that saves me about $50 a month over the best cell phone package I can get.

JTA
11-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Paladin
Please tell a little more. That repeater could solve some problems around here.

Jack

paladin
11-07-2006, 09:39 PM
A repeater....is essentially a cellular receiver (both bands) connected back to back with transmitters (both bands)...fed to a single antenna at the output....
Another antenna at the input. Normally, in a vehicle, you mount the transmit antenna outside as high as possible...the inside antenna looks for the little cell phone that you carry in your pocket.
The little cell phone has power output measured in milliwatts (thousandsths of a watt) so the range is limited, that's why so many towers. you could purchse the repeater, add a 12 volt power supply from radio shack or digi key, and an outside antenna, and have the same power as the old mobile units (2-3 watts)....
The repeater is about $350....a damn good antenna from Larson is about $45, and the power supply from digikey or radio shack will be in the range of 35-50 bucks, then add a good grade of coaxial cable...another 25-30 bucks with connectors, some tape to seal it...or put it high in the attic.......

for the boat I had intended to add a power amp, permanently attach the cell phone, and get an aftermarket handset etc.....which would have caost me about the same....

George Ray
11-08-2006, 07:54 AM
I am using GSM (Cingular) these days and fantasize about a mast head cell antenna coupled to a ?? amp/repeater ?? and a data plan that would allow one to get a few miles offshore (?sea room far?) and download internet available weather data, email etc etc.

I have not been up to the task of sorting out all the issues and figuring out what to get?

Seems like there is some real expertise in this thread already!! HELP!

OBTW, I am putting together a photo album of the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race 2006.
I sailed on a sister ship to my colvin pinky.
http://www.imagestation.com/members/georgelewisray
Website of the pinky I sailed on.
http://www.issuma.com/rhudson/

jack grebe
11-08-2006, 08:05 AM
ebay has a bunch for sale
try this
http://cgi.ebay.com/PowerMax-DA4000SBR-3-Watt-Cellular-Amplifier-Repeater_W0QQitemZ260050057214QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2 0380QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

paladin
11-08-2006, 11:22 AM
The units advertised above work well.....but add to the cost the proper coax, antenna (the one that comes with it sucks) and power supply. The amplifier etc is only as good as the antenna to which it is connected. You need a well regulated power supply for the home to run on the a.c. mains, but they work well on vehicular battery. I would also add a thin metal shroud above the units with a pair or a 3 " diameter fan to cool the heat sink....the thing is only about 25% efficient and they do get warm......

George Roberts
11-10-2006, 07:54 AM
My daughter is wireless.

Her phone went through the wash Wednesday 1000 miles from home. She expects it to be dry in a couple more days.

---

We have a land line for clients. We get very poor cell recpetion in our offices. Much better outside ...

What is really nice is the answering nachine software we have on our land lines --- it e-mails all incoming voice and fax messages to us. Lovely when on vacation or just out of pocket.

geeman
11-10-2006, 09:09 AM
We're lucky here,we have 2 towers one close enough that I can almost hit it with a rock,the other on the other side of the house about a mile away.Once they got the 2 towers built we discontinued the landline and like it that way.But there were several years where we had to go up to the highest part of the yard,stand a certain way,not move and maybe we could get a signal.maybe.