PDA

View Full Version : wood pattern laminate countertop exterior

sdowney717
09-09-2004, 06:02 PM
how well does laminate countertop material hold up exposed to the sun?
I was wondering how well it would look as a veneer wood substitute as it would never need varnish.
I have several possible uses one is on a flybridge instead of a varnished mahogany plywood.
Any ideas or would it look wrong?

paladin
09-09-2004, 06:12 PM
IT FADES AND IS NOT WEATHERPROOF.....and looks horrible after a short time...

Victor
09-09-2004, 06:31 PM
It would look like a laminate countertop that's supposed to look like mahogany. tongue.gif

Bob Cleek
09-09-2004, 07:56 PM
ROTFLMAO!.... Shows yer thinkin', though.

Beowolf
09-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Not good.

You accept that wood grain countertop laminate only looks vaguely like wood in a kitchen because the benefits outweigh the appearance, but I don't think that same balance would take place on a boat. I think you would regret it the moment you did it.

JEf

Ron Williamson
09-09-2004, 09:00 PM
I once used white laminate epoxied to plywood for a motorwell cover.It worked well for the five years that I had use of the boat.
I think it would look like crap if it was on a large surface and it was fake wood butcher block.
R

Steve Miller
09-10-2004, 12:15 AM
I have seen it used interior on larger boats for white panels between roof beams and things like that but never as a replacement for varnished wood.

From a major laminate makers website -

Decorative surface papers impregnated with melamine resins are pressed over kraft paper core
sheets impregnated with phenolic resin.

Laminate is for interior use only.

Do not subject Laminate to extremes in humidity, temperatures higher than 275F (135C)
for substantial periods of time, or intense, continuous, direct sunlight.

Ex-Oceangoddess
09-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Since plastic laminate is essentially a zillion layers of paper (aka woodfiber) smushed together with glue (waterproof????) at lots of pressure - you gotta go figure if it will stand up to prolonged exposure to water/sunlight/rain/wind etc. etc. etc. the top layer is allegedly water resistant, but look at any old and horrible kitchen with peeling counters and you will get the picture.

I'm a kitchen designer - and will not recommend (and definitely not sell) plastic laminate as a countertop material unless it is for a short term solution (i.e. waiting until you can afford stone).....

ion barnes
09-10-2004, 12:56 AM
Depending on the manufacturing quality, and it varies alot, UV will cause it to fade but also become brittle. Nothing wrong with exercising those grey cells, carry on!

Buddy
09-10-2004, 12:29 PM
I gotta agree about laminate that"looks" like wood, but in white or such, it definiely will hold up well as headlining panels below and out under a sun top. Like super durable paint. As for counter tops peeling, I've only seen the contact glue peel, not the layers of the product. Real stone, marbleslate or granite will all have varing degrees of vulnerability to stains, Corian and other artificial plastic stone surfaces scratch and burn really easily, tile scratches, can crack, and the grout seams catch debris and stain. For a nearly scratch proof, stainproof, burn proof, and germfree surface, laminate comes closest still to being perfecr. But in my opinion only in the solid colors does it not look tacky. The fake stones,fabrics, woodgrains, and such don't appeal near as much. Sorry for hijacking this into kitchen design.

Levi
09-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Nor will the plastic-that-resembles-wood flooring hold up long under UV rays of the sun. Real wood (oak or maple) unfinished hardwood flooring has been used to plank a few decks with moderate success and if finished clear has to have many coats of spar to protect it. The wood itself is durable but if it is a pre-finished product dont use it outside. I decked a boat 10 years ago with oak hardwood flooring that I epoxied and painted deck-grey and have sanded it once and repainted over the years. It is in great condition today.