PDA

View Full Version : White Squall

Joe (SoCal)
11-05-2006, 09:10 PM
It on cable now. Ive seen it before but it was a pleasure to find it again channel surfing.

http://bhdaamov.hp.infoseek.co.jp/pic/whitesquall.jpg

Trivia for
White Squall (1996)

The ship used in the film is the "Eye of the Wind", originally built in 1911 as a top-sail schooner and refitted in 1975 as a brigantine. She is now rigged as a Brig. It was also used in The Blue Lagoon (1980), Savage Island (1985), and Tai-Pan (1986).

In spring 1961, the real Christopher "Skipper" Sheldon became the first Peace Corps director in Latin America. He never remarried.

Claudia
11-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Great movie. David has never seen it. I tried to get it at the video store a few days ago but they don't have it in stock.:(

Lew Barrett
11-05-2006, 09:48 PM
A few really haunting scenes. That one when the boat is in deep trouble and his wife is down below in the galley as he looks through the skylight...horrific.

Mrleft8
11-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I liked the scene when the boys try to link up with the hooker......who turns out to be about 600 pounds..... :D

ishmael
11-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Bridges makes a better Starman, or Fisherking, than he does a ship's skip, IMHO. He's just too good as a bit feckless to make a good captain of a school ship.

I watched the film when it came out on vid. I can't remember the details, but came away excited but unfulfilled.

River Sailor
11-05-2006, 10:37 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it — and at the time, I didn't know the first thing about wooden boats. I saw it while living in landlocked New Mexico prior to moving to Maine. Found it to be very entertaining, especially since I was surrounded by miles and miles of high desert.

Haven't thought about that movie in years — thanks for the remdinder, Joe.

Since I built the first frame for my Penobscot 14 today, I think I'll celebrate by adding White Squall to my Netflix queue! For any of you who haven't seen it, it's easily worth your time.

Larry P.
11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Where we go one there we go all