PDA

View Full Version : Now where the heck did I put ................

skuthorp
08-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Applied sandpaper to wood for the first time in 6 or 7 months last weekend. My Elf has been neglected for a kitchen/bathroom renovation.
So long I had forgotten where I was exactly in the project.
Yes, I'd documented the project in a diary and carefully put it away safely, and there's the rub! too safely! Still can't find the thing, and I think some of the prepared parts have hidden themselves away too.
Because I've built sections and the rig out of sequence, and some are partly finished in boxes (I do know where they are) I will have to get everything out and work my way through the drawings etc.
Well, I guess she wont be launched for this summer so I can take my time. :rolleyes:

LLaver
08-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Another Aussie doing an Elf! I'm originally from Melbourne but am now in Brisbane.

I have just started on mine, am still at the stage of cutting out the station moulds but I Built a model from 1.5mm ply at 1/4 scale to see if I would like the hull shape first.

What timbers and Ply are you using? I am using 5mm Hoop Pine Brims ply and Hoop Pine for all the solid timbers. The 5mm ply is thinner than the recommended 6mm Gaboon but is a far superior quality and is quite dense.

I am also thinking of modifying the dagger board to a pivoting centreboard as I will be sailing in Moreten Bay which is full of shifting sand bars and can be very shallow close to shore. Could be rather abrupt groundings with the dagger board.

Cheers

Lee

JimConlin
08-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

skuthorp
08-23-2005, 03:27 AM
G'day LLaver, About the only thing i
I've NOT started is the hull! I had to move house to give me room, hence the renovations. I have a good stock of 100 year old Oregon from old bridge beams and house roofs and the rig is built from that. Blocks from Alpine Ash, bronze and stainless steel. There's some very nice rudder hardware designed for curved double enders that I may import despite the expense. No sail yet and I'm thinking about a dagger board mod for the same reason. Maybe a curved board that will rotate up. Not my idea, I have a drawing from the forum somewhere. Western Port bay is very shallow down our end and quite a bit dries at low tide. I often sail my Macgreggor in 2 or 3 inches of water if I'm a bit tardy at the fall of the tide.
I have a few planks of Mahogany carefully hoarded for thwarts but with my limited skills its KISS all the way!

:D

Wild Dingo
08-23-2005, 03:41 AM
Hows it goin Jeff?

Mate I recall some time back Todd Bradshaw drawing up several sail plans for Valgerda one of which Ive printed off... ooops thats right thats now just so mush :rolleyes: If I remember rightly the one I was particularily taken with was sorta like a square sail more in the centre of the boat than designed... ooops thats right Im yarnin about Valgerda and your doin Elf damn! :eek: ah well mate your in good company Stevens still muckin about with his too seems these boats take some time to get built eh? :D

No worries take care ol son!
Shane

PS if you see that ol reprobate Mike of Feilds around give him a poke in the ribs and tell him his mates miss his yarnin! tongue.gif Yous blokes over in the east have been WAY too quiet of late

Ohhh edited to add... YOUR GONNA BUILD ELF WITH 100 year old Oregon?????????? :eek: game as ned kelly yous blokes! ;)

[ 08-23-2005, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: Wild Dingo ]

skuthorp
08-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi Shane, I've kept a lot of stuff from Todd on sails, I'd actually like him to make them but it's probably not practical. The hull will be ply, the oregon is for masts and booms etc. Old oregon is straight, fine grained, beautiful color. Hope it dries out over your way soon.
:D

Wild Dingo
08-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Its gettin there mate its gettin there rather nice day today warmish in the arvo but... Summers comin!! :cool:

I think ive scored rather well in the old Jarrah railway sleepers today seems theyre changing from the timber ones to concrete ones and the old ones are bein tossed burnt and discarded... many from what I saw today have been sittin quietly at the local depot for some time still bloody good timber for the princely cost of... my time and effort!! :cool: thats gotta be good eh

Havent found anything like your oregon though Im keepin me eyes peeled ;)