PDA

View Full Version : Old Epoxy

Greg H
07-15-2001, 11:22 AM
I used some 2 year old MAS epoxy to glue some parts together, then I read in a catalog that it is only good for a year. It was a bit darker than it was when it was fresh, but it hardened ok. Am I doomed?

NormMessinger
07-15-2001, 11:48 AM
Doomed? Doubtless. However your epoxy probably isn't. It gets hard. Darkening is not a problem with other brands I have experience with (WEST, System Three). Hey, don't take my word for it call MAS.

--Norm

[This message has been edited by NormMessinger (edited 07-15-2001).]

Rich VanValkenburg
07-15-2001, 08:07 PM
I agree with Norm. Um, on both points. As far as epoxy goes, the Geougeon people at the WB show were telling one guy who asked that the resin has a shelf life of 5 years. Beyond that, they say they noticed some degredation in strength. How much is 'some' wasn't stated. I have some 7 year old West that works just fine.

JimConlin
07-16-2001, 12:34 AM
I've had WEST #205 hardener darken over several years. I think I've read in a Gougeon publication that the strength is unaffected.

Charlie J
07-16-2001, 10:21 AM
I've used WEST epoxy that was 7 years old with no problem. The hardener however had thickened to the point it was unusable- had to get fresh. It does change color- fresh WEST cures totally clear (with 206 hardener)- the old resin cured to a heavy amber color.

casem
07-16-2001, 02:27 PM
I called MAS a while back with the exact same question you have. They told me that the resin should be perfectly fine and that the only reason they put the 1 year shelf life on the jug is because their lawyers make them. Give them a call. It would be interesting to see what they say this time.

1-888-MAS-EPOXY I think.

carlg
07-16-2001, 04:19 PM
I was told recently by the West tech support person that it's good for five years.

Greg H
07-16-2001, 07:04 PM
I'll give them a call next time I'm near a phone during the daytime and let y'all know.
I figured part of the shelf life limitation had something to do with liability and all that. Also it would allow them to keep selling more epoxy each year since noone can keep large amounts on hand.(Boy does that sound cynical). Any way it's a done deed and so far .......