• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WX
    Uki NSW Australia
    • Feb 2002

Ford 10 petrol engine

Anyone know how much one weighs?
    I'm just wondering how it compares in weight to my Yanmar YSE 12 which weighs 169kgs apparently. The reason for the question is my boat is designed to take a Ford 10...which I figure must have been a common engine back in 1963.
    Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.
  • Stiletto
    • Jan 2003

That's interesting Bigfella, the Ford 10s I remember didnt have a waterpump, the cooling system worked by thermosyphon, I can see how an aero engine would benefit from a pump though.( As would the car engines).

I think that engine (100E?)survived until the OHV anglias came out about 1960-61.(105E)
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Comment

• John B
      • Aug 2000

Do you want me to go and look? No its Ford Eight in a '36 Y come to think of it. I had a 100 E Anglia as my First car and later a Ford Pop. gutless things they were. Cute but wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.
      I did sell a marinised Ford 10 a couple of years ago. I recall it as having a seperate jabsco/johnson type water pump added as part of the marinisation process.
      Weight? Bigfella sounds right

Comment

• WX
        Uki NSW Australia
        • Feb 2002

Thank you gentleman, much appreciated.
        Ford 10 145lbs = 65.7 kgs.......that's a lot less than the yanmar YSE 12 at 169kgs which according to the engine manual is it's wieght....seems awfully heavy for a small engine.
        Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
          Who?
          • Aug 1999

Ford 8 story

Back in 1936, or thereabouts, my late father was working in what was then Palestine. He and a couple of colleagues were driving across a pretty empty stretch of nothing-in-particular in a Ford 8 when something (I don't recall what) suspension-related went amiss with the car. In those days, of course, a fair degree of mechanical aptitude went with the ability to drive at all, but after a few minutes they realised that this was not fixable by themselves, so they walked into the nearest village to find a blacksmith.

Having located the blacksmith's shop, Father, whop spoke good Arabic, asked him if he could help fix the car.

"Sorry, but I don't do cars!"

Father's eye strayed to what was quite recognisably a Ford 8 gasket hanging on the wall of the shop, and he said "But you've got a Ford 8 gasket there!"

"Oh, I do Fords! You said it was a car!"
          IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

Working...