View Full Version : epoxy resin coat over sanded/feathered antifoulant?
03-09-2005, 10:53 AM
The bottom has about 30% antifoulant left after I sanded it The old epoxy resin coat and bare would make up the other 70% showing after I sanded. How would another coat of epoxy resin stand up with the antifoulant under it? Very thin layer of antifoulant left in spots! Thank You for your opinions!
03-09-2005, 11:36 AM
It is OK - we regularly have folks put epoxy barrier coats over well adhered bottom paint. I generally tell folks to just prep like you would for a new coat of bottom paint (or maybe just a little bit better).
progressive epoxy polymers
03-09-2005, 12:17 PM
epoxy barrier coats over bottom paint?
This is what they mean by bad advice on the WBF.
Bottom paint is not meant to be sanded and "faired". It is a paint bourne PESTICIDE. It is chemically designed to hold moisture and its effectiveness lessens when it is dried. Regardless if its a modified epoxy or an ablative.
Barrier coating over bottom paint? WHY? Barrier coating is designed to stop water molecule penetration to pretect a hull from osmatic action.
Barrier coating over bottom paint is a waste of product. REMOVE all bottom paint before recoating. What epoxy resin are you using?
[ 03-09-2005, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: R.Floyd ]
03-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Agreed. Your new coating is only as well bonded as the weakest link underneath it. Epoxy over paint is nothing more than a waste of resin and money. If the bottom was sound enough for it this kind of approach there wouldn't be any need for the epoxy in the first place.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.