X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ishmael
    Banned
    • Jun 2000

Vote independent

I'm going to vote for Barbara Merrill for our governor. She won't win, there's too much money tied up in machine politics, but I don't like either of the farts presented by the two parties. It won't matter, the Dem, Baldaci, will be reelected.

What drives a person to seek this office when they have next to no chance of winning? It's given her a minor platform, but no real chance at the office.

I'm also going to vote yes on Tabor, our tax issue. Even if it works out dicey I'd like to see our lawmakers sweat a little over what they spend.
  • mdevour
    • Mar 2003

Yep, and it won't be but another post or two that somebody will raise the "wasted vote" canard...

Yes, there are times when a race is close that you may not feel at liberty to "throw your vote away" on a certain-to-lose candidate. But when that's realistically not the case, the best vote you can cast is one to bolster the totals of alternative candidates. The more their numbers at the polls grow, the sooner that they start to achieve significant influence on elections, the sooner we'll see major party candidates and elected officials start to address core problems and propose real change.

Live a little! Vote for what you really want sometimes!

Mike D.
    Visit Splinters, our Weekend Skiff project...

Comment

• Chris Coose
      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by ishmael
      I'm going to vote for Barbara Merrill for our governor.
      I'm also going to vote yes on Tabor, our tax issue.
      Merrill and TABOR.
      For a guy who has a lot of time on his hands to explore merit, those'd be a couple of weak conclusions.
      But also makes sense, considering.
      Study Peace

Comment

• ishmael
        Banned
        • Jun 2000

Why don't you tell why the choices are wrong, instead of just sniping Chris? It might even convince me to change my mind.

I think I know why you don't like TABOR. You work for the state and it might break your rice bowl. Isn't that right? I'm sure if passed(doubtful) it would create some problems, but what in principle is wrong with slowing state spending growth to the level of inflation? Some sort of discipline in spending is needed, and if the elected branches won't do it...

Comment

• Chris Coose
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by ishmael
          Isn't that right?
          No, I do not work for the state.
          If I were thinking only for myself TABOR fits perfect.

I have a daughter who works for the city as a teacher. I have a child who is a direct public school consumer.
          Are you really interested that those kids who live around you are afforded the best education they can get?
          Are you?
          Then TABOR would be the last thing you would vote for.
          The last.
          Public school budgets are the first to be targeted.

Are you a Mainecare receipient? For your own good, Merrill would be the last person you'd vote for. No, I take that back Woodcock would be just a wisker worse.
          Study Peace

Comment

• ishmael
            Banned
            • Jun 2000

Chris,

You haven't told me anything about why TABOR is a bad idea, just repeated the same stuff that comes over the toob. School children with rags for shoes, trudging five miles to un-heated buildings! LOL.

And even though State of Maine isn't printed on your paycheck, if where you work is like any of the mental health agencies I worked for a lot of their money is funnelled from the state. Maybe you're in private practice? Still, a lot of state money, unless your clientele is gold-plated and can pay out of pocket.

Not breaking your balls, we all cozy up to the trough one way or another.

Comment

• Chris Coose
              • Sep 2001

TABOR is a bad idea if you are a fan of public education.

Can I make that any clearer?

No, screw this! Vote for it please. By all means.
              Study Peace

Comment

• ishmael
                Banned
                • Jun 2000

I know that's your opinion, but you haven't told me why. Why is a vote for TABOR a vote against public schools?

You aren't dealing with an idealogue. I'm willing to change my vote if someone will explain why it would be wrong.

Are you?

Comment

• JTA
                  Just me
                  • Apr 2002

Ish,
                  If you feel the independant ticket is the correct vote for you then you should by all means vote that way, and talk to everyone you know and try to explain to them why. I don't buy into the "wasted vote" theory. If enough people voice their opinion for change it will eventually happen.

I don't concern myself with how my neighbor votes, I just want them to educate themselves and vote the way they feel is best for them. We really need to get: 1. More people to the poles and 2. Have them cast a ballot based on good information.

Jack
                  Jack
                  Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

Comment

• ishmael
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2000

That's how I view it too, Jack. The climate is so poisonous that it's difficult to have a decent discussion about anything. From what I know of TABOR, I'm gonna vote for it. It limits the growth of state spending to the rate of inflation plus any population growth, and has a provision for a citizen override. No one has been able to tell what is wrong with that. I'm sure there will be problems on the off chance it's implemented, but there are problems now.

Again, I'm willing to listen to the other side, and maybe change my opinion. I'm sure there is another side that has substantive arguments, but I've yet to hear much of substance from them. There is a lot of fear mongering in the advertisments against. That tends to have an effect opposite of the desired one, with me.

Comment

Working...