PDA

View Full Version : Jamie/uncas ...

brad9798
10-23-2006, 08:56 PM
I am saddened DEEPLY by the plight of UNCAS ...

BUt damn, JAMIE there are those that would help.

Put down the machobull**** ... consider help ... don't be such a pooh!

GOOD GAWD!

Like I've said before ... some of us midwestern folks look up to you, an old salt if you will, yet I am disappointed in your posts of late.

Get it on, bro ... it's okay to give up ... but don't be so self-centered about it ...

It is what it is ...

Get over yourself ...

I wish you luck and guidance ... One bad boat/situation does not make the world suck.

Pull yourself up, salt.

Brad

huisjen
10-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Hear, hear.

Dan

Mrleft8
10-23-2006, 09:05 PM
He's playing his "Eyore, Woe is me, I have nothing to offer, so I'll curl up in the corner and die" bit. It won't last. Ceildlelydejedge (Or whatever her name is....) won't let him wallow in self pity too long before she starts chewing on his toes (I bet they smell like bacon too....).
If I know Jaime, and I really don't, he'll be up and running his yap off in a week or less.
I STILL say that Uncas can be saved with a minimum of effort as long as a core group is willing to help. Just because a well respected marine surveyor says that a boat isn't worth the $ to rehab, don't make it so.

brad9798
10-23-2006, 09:20 PM
AGREED!!!!

Com'on, Jamie!

Popeye
10-24-2006, 07:06 AM
quit yer blubber'n

Chris Coose
10-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Musta missed something?

Mrleft8
10-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Musta missed something?
Been under a rock the last week or so? ;)

Chris Coose
10-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Been under a rock the last week or so? ;)

Been attending to some projects in serious fashion lately. Not much bilge time.

From what I can figure here, Uncas has been gone over and there has been some head shaking and a fatal state has been diagnosed.
Jamie has dropped to no posts from 20 per day.
There has been some tough boat news going around the past couple weeks.
I'm having a tough time going over to look at Victoria, never mind planning the solutions. Near impossible to imagine a total loss.

Mrleft8
10-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Yer pretty smart..... Training terrorist groundhogs are ya? ;)
The end may be near, but as of this morning, the surveyor has not actually talked to Jaime....Just 3rd hand info from the yard owner...

B_B
10-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Musta missed something?

been wondering about this also...

please correct me as needed:
Uncas has a major refit/refinnish a coupla years ago (tens of thousands of dollars spent)
when the yard completes the work they lift 'er up to get her wet again
they fail to realize the mast is not yet properly installed
the mast collapses trashing the house
now the whole boat is a write-off (pending actual report from surveyor)

wasn't the damage so insignificant that the yard at first denied that there was any damage?
and this results in a write off?

is the only issue with the boat the house and the mast?

TomF
10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Up in B&R, Jamie discusses other issues with the boat. Rbgarr also looked at Uncas, and posted some of his thoughts. Horn timber, plank ends, sternpost, shaft tube and bearings, engine mounts. Also issues regarding the boat's stability (given the structural rot) if one wanted to move it somewhere else for the work to be done.

Me, I'm also flummoxed. I'd understood Uncas to have had a not insignificant bit of work done quite recently, and s/he was certainly sailing well and hard last year, and even last summer. I find myself wondering if the yard charged with upkeep has any liability here, but I dunno.

Still, if Wooden Boat Rescue has demonstrated nothing else, it's that vessels much farther along than Uncas have been happily revived. I still think there's hope here, though it would perhaps be someone other than Jamie who'd be willing to take the project on.

Very sad. Also very sad that Jamie's largely staying away ...

Popeye
10-24-2006, 01:22 PM
he's not plasticidel is he ?

B_B
10-24-2006, 01:22 PM
yep, just found the thread re. horn timbers...
damned pretty boat though.

ishmael
10-24-2006, 01:26 PM
I wondered about this too, but figured Jaimie is mourning a death, and will be back. Uncas was a huge part of his life, and for whatever reason he doesn't see her as savable in his circumstance. I can understand that, and it must be very difficult. While I do hope he considers all the options, don't bug him too much. Death, even of a boat, makes most of us pissed off for awhile.

uncas
10-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Okay.. Here is the bottom line from Capt. Haley:

Sterpost gone
Horn timber gone
Keel stem..well, not pretty but...okay..a D+
Unknowns.. always.. this above is just visible
Can it be repaired..yes, if ya got lots of green.
Can she be transported yes with a little support

Options:
Boat schools
individual who wants him.
chopped

The above has nothing to do with the mast landing topsides although I'm sure it didn't help.

That's all she wrote folks. There, I've answered the questions...

Have a good day.

Memphis Mike
10-24-2006, 04:05 PM
So? You're just going to give up on us? I understand your hurt but you have friends here in case you don't know. Get another friggin boat and stop wallowing in your misery.

Paul Pless
10-24-2006, 04:08 PM
I understand your hurt but you have friends here in case you don't know.

yup

Memphis Mike
10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Geeez! To get you outa this funk, are we all gonna have to chip in and buy you a new boat?:rolleyes:

Hey everybody! I got ten dollars toward a new boat for Jamie!!

ishmael
10-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Ah, leave him be. He's hurt and angry, but it's not at anyone here(not yet, anyway). It's at life! Life hurts sometimes, and we all need our own time and way to deal with it.

He knows he's got friends here if he wants to talk.