PDA

View Full Version : Well, survey finally came in on the Buzzards Bay 15...

ErikH
06-08-2003, 09:54 AM
...oy.

The owner had thought "cracked keel, maybe 12k to fix, can be sailed in the interim."

Nope.

Cracked keel... and all the frames need to be replaced. but since the old ones have been refastened a few times, the new frames will have to be laid alongside where the old ones were, not an exact replacement.

The deck beams need replacing, as does the deck (though to tell the truth I'd use ply, not laid cedar, to increase strength and future reliability)

Floor timbers are gone. the CB truck needs replacing.

So what IS in OK shape? Well, the mast and spars are fine. Likewise, about 3/4 of the planking is reuseable, as is most/all of the more decorative wood (cockpit coamings, tiller, etc).

Moreover, she needs to have all the work done pretty much at once, according to the surveyor (and in a certain order, as she'll probably get rolled over for the keel work).

Price? Well, G&B figures that their end would cost $25k. That's for a boat needing paint and sanding, of course, but I'm happy to do that.

So that ain't cheap: 25k for the fix. $3k for the boat. Another $2k at least (I assume) to move her somewhere and buld a roof over her--she heeds to be kept very dry.

An interesting note for comparison: Ross mentinoed to my stepfather than a few years back he'd seen a BB15 at a boat show taht looked to be a perfect restoration done exceedingly well, but turned out to ne brand new. Seems a guy in Maine is bulding them, and doing a good job of it. i tracked him down; brand new ones cost $50k (actually much less than I had thought, though far more than I can afford) and as an example a 6 year old one in great shape can be had for around $35k.

Looks like this one is out of my range, i think, unless I can find a way to make it a lot cheaper...

RT MAN
10-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Wow this old did you find a boat or restore this BB15

Rufus

JimConlin
10-28-2007, 12:10 PM
... Seems a guy in Maine is bulding them, and doing a good job of it. i tracked him down; brand new ones cost $50k...

Sadly, the guy in Maine is no longer in business.

rbgarr
10-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Boothbay Harbor Shipyard is doing their best to do the same kind of work as G&B (except here in Maine). Dave Stimson, who used to work there, is the manager here. They've restored a Herreshoff NY 30, and might be interested in quoting your hull work.

http://www.boothbayharborshipyard.com/

StevenBauer
10-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Check the dates here Dave.

I think the Sheilds from East End is still in. I've seen him singlehanding. :)
When will you pull her?

Steven

rbgarr
10-28-2007, 06:05 PM
LOL! Good point, Steve!

I'll probably do some more sailing next week (too windy today, damnit) despite the freezing temps at night. Thursday or Friday's morning tides may be the best for getting the boat on the trailer with the crane.