PDA

View Full Version : staples + fingers = bad

shark_ef
10-12-2006, 08:47 PM
i'm working in the theatre shop (my part time job) this afternoon, and the compressor is acting up so the pneumatic tools are going funny, we are making flats using 1 1/2 in. royal cap(?) staples, they are roughly 14 gauge. the staple gun is shooting doubles and has more kick than usual, so i'm being super careful, hands waaaaaay the hell away (aka 8-10 in.) from the gun, long story short, i'm stapling on a diagonal the gun skips and fires the 2nd staple down the board into my hand, stapling thru my index finger into my middle finger. the shop director freaks out, i get one of the other students to drive me to the hospital, where they shoot me up with pain killers and yank it out, then give me strong narcotic drugs. but i gotta say, damn that hurt, and i WAS being careful,

lesson: don't use tools that should've been trashed 5 years ago
just thought i'd share

S/V Laura Ellen
10-12-2006, 09:13 PM
If you can't do it safely you don't do it. If the equipment is working properly don't use it. No job is worth getting hurt for.

This is the message I give my staff!

jack grebe
10-12-2006, 09:25 PM
can't say that I never did that:rolleyes: only weapon of choice was framing nailers. at least 3 times:eek: . what can I say, I'm a slow learner:D .........think it hurts now, just wait till the glue sets up:D

Bruce Hooke
10-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Ouch! I don't like pneumatic guns that don't want to stay under control...

Phillip Allen
10-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Well...this lesson should "stick" with you... :) (glad you wern't hurt too badly)

jack grebe
10-12-2006, 09:57 PM
the pain of embarassment if far worse:D

shark_ef
10-12-2006, 10:20 PM
yup stupid thing. both my part, the tool, the stars' alignment

paladin
10-12-2006, 10:27 PM
how about getting shot from behind by an idiot shooting staples at the wall by holding the safety trip released...hitting me behind the left ear, into the side of the head......we had a few....uh..words..about that.

The Bigfella
10-13-2006, 03:39 AM
how about getting shot from behind by an idiot shooting staples at the wall by holding the safety trip released...hitting me behind the left ear, into the side of the head......we had a few....uh..words..about that.

So, Chuck, did having the ear pinned to your head improve your looks?

My daughter had to pay the surgeon to do that for her - but he did both ears at the same time.

Cheers, Big Ears

Ian

paladin
10-13-2006, 08:07 AM
naw...just added "character"....but did leave a scar behind the ear that itches like hades from time to time...then I think bad thoughts about that idiot...

SAKevin
10-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Although they can't do as much damage, good old mechanical staplers can cause some serious pain if you're not careful.

Found this one out shooting 9/16 staples through 1/4 inch stock while stripping my canoe.

BTW, does anybody know how to get a LOT of blood out of Western Red Cedar?