PDA

View Full Version : Waddaya do with a chicken carcase?

Mrleft8
10-12-2006, 08:55 AM
After most of the breast meat is carved off and consumed. After the drumsticks, thighs, and wings have made lunch for 2....
Make chicken stock. Put the carcase in a pot of water with a few pieces of celery, and a haved onion, and simmer for several hours.
Strain the bones out, and pick them over for bits of meat. Return the meat to the pot, discard the bons.
Add: a couple handfuls of both red and black beans and simmer overnight (I just leave it on the woodstove).
Add: a tablespoon of ground cayene pepper, 1 diced fresh red sweet pepper, 1 finely chopped onion, 1 finely chopped clove garlic, 1/2 teaspoon Tumeric, 1 tablespoon ground Ginger, 1 capfull dry sherry (vermouth works too), and finally.... A handfull of dry rice. Bring it to a boil, then reduce back to a simmer.
Taste test.... Add water or seasonings to taste. It may have cooked down too much and be "Stewpy" and powerful strong tasting...
A variation of a "Cuban bean soup" that I had in Puerto Rico many years ago.

JTA
10-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Works with turkey too. One of my favorite meals after Thanksgiving is Turkey Soup!!

Jack

huisjen
10-12-2006, 09:12 AM
http://www.levins.com/bonebooks_01.jpg

ishmael
10-12-2006, 09:18 AM
I'm always pleasantly suprised at how a carcase yields. My granny, my mother's mum, was good at taking the sorriest looking bunch of bones and turning out a soup. Noodles! Noodles are a great equalizer.

uncas
10-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Umm.. isn't Tarzan right there licking his chops?

Popeye
10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
broth has a lot of purine and i would not eat too much

paladin
10-12-2006, 10:06 AM
made chikkin' noodle soup last night......

gonna make it Thai style tonight......

ken mcclure
10-12-2006, 04:39 PM
In case you aren't familiar with purines:

Purine is a heterocyclic aromatic organic compound, consisting of a pyrimidine ring fused to an imidazole ring.

The general term purines also refers to substituted purines and their tautomers. Two of the bases in nucleic acids, adenine and guanine, are purines. In DNA, these bases form hydrogen bonds with their complementary pyrimidines thymine and cytosine.

In RNA, the complement of adenine is uracil (U) instead of thymine

These hydrogen bonding modes are for classical Watson-Crick base pairing. Other hydrogen bonding modes are seen in both DNA and RNA. Of significance, the additional 2'-hydroxyl group of the ribose moiety in RNA expands the configurations through which RNA can form hydrogen bonds.

Other notable purines are xanthine, hypoxanthine, theobromine, caffeine and uric acid.

Purines are biochemically significant as components of DNA and RNA, and are also found in a number of other important biomolecules, such as ATP, GTP, cyclic AMP, NADH, and coenzyme A.

Many organisms have metabolic pathways to synthesise and break down purines.

Purines are biologically synthesised as nucleosides (bases attached to ribose). Both adenine and guanine are derived from the nucleoside inosine monophosphate, which is synthesised on a pre-existing ribose through a complex pathway using atoms from the amino acids glycine, glutamine, and aspartic acid, as well as formate ions transferred from the coenzyme tetrahydrofolate.

Purines from food (or from tissue turnover) are metabolised by several enzymes, including xanthine oxidase, into uric acid. High levels of uric acid can predispose to gout when the acid crystalises in joints; this phenomenon only happens in humans and some animal species (e.g. dogs) that lack an intrinsic uricase enzyme that can further degrade uric acid. The deficiency of another enzyme, adenosine deaminase, needed to break down adenine, is a cause of severe combined immunodeficiency.

Purines from turnover of nucleic acids (or from food) can also be salvaged and reused in new nucleotides. The enzyme adenine phosphoribosyltransferase salvages adenine, while hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase (HPRT) salvages guanine and hypoxanthine. Genetic deficiency of HPRT causes Lesch-Nyhan syndrome.

ken mcclure
10-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Or the short version:

Excessive intake of purines can contribute to gout.

Meerkat
10-12-2006, 04:47 PM
"Chicken carcase" - is that a form of luggage? ;)

A chicken carcass makes a good soup. ;)

Milo Christensen
10-12-2006, 04:53 PM

Understandable error from a guy who builds custom cabinets and such.

rbgarr
10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Save it until you have two more.

Juggle them.

Mrleft8
10-13-2006, 07:21 AM

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is.....AND.... It qualifies as Carrion luggage on most major airlines.... :D

Popeye
10-13-2006, 07:30 AM
watch out for using any green potato skins in broth too , it contains an alkaloid toxin known as solanine

ken mcclure
10-13-2006, 08:44 AM
...Carrion luggage...

I'm not that far away this weekend. Don't MAKE me come down there.

ishmael
10-13-2006, 09:13 AM
"watch out for using any green potato skins in broth too , it contains an alkaloid toxin known as solanine"

Good reason to keep taters out of the light, because when they turn a little green it boosts these compounds Popeye mentions that are poisons. Potatoes are closely related to the nightshades, from which are derived various alkoloids, such a belladonna. Tomatoes, too, are of a kin.

Belladonna. Now there's a word! Our relationship with these alkaloids is obviously mixed. Beautiful woman. Even though deadly in high doses, we like her, deem her beautiful.

One of the common drug experiments gone wrong in our youth culture is from another member of the family commonly known as Jimson weed. The pioneers on our plains called it loco weed, because their cattle would get into it and, well, go loco. It's very common through the mid-west, though I've never seen it here. It's commonly brewed into a tea by unsuspecting kids. Lot's of emergency room trips there. From what I've read, it's weird, violent and long lasting. Nothing to mess with.

Popeye
10-13-2006, 09:46 AM
well , if you are over consuming these things , you have no right to complain about knee joints having arthritic ailments