PDA

View Full Version : So ya think

cs
10-12-2006, 08:07 AM
That maybe a 42 year old project manager with bad knees stands a chance of getting a job working on the river?

Chad

uncas
10-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Heck, if you are the manager you delegate. Those under you will get their feet wet, not you.

Milo Christensen
10-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Adult life begins at 50.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Adult life begins at 50.

Only if you're careless.

cs
10-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Ain't going to do it, but I always thought it might have been good. I walk down by the river and see the barges and I see the TVA boats and think that man this is what I should be doing.

Who knows if I had started at 18 I might be a Tow boat captain by now.

Chad

TomF
10-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Ol' man river, that ol' man river,
He must know somethin', but don't say nothin',
He jest keeps rollin',
He keeps on rollin' along...

Chad, if you want to tote that barge and lift that bale, I hope you've got a low singing voice.:D

cs
10-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Well I have been told that I should sing solo, So Low that nobody could hear me. :D

Chad

uncas
10-12-2006, 08:45 AM
I see the TVA boats and think that man this is what I should be doing.

Don't think ya want to do that Chad. Worked with TVA.. And TVA isn't what it used to be when its funds came directly from Congress.
There was a time back in the early part of 01 or 02 where TVA went through five or six changes and directions over a six month period. No one knew if on Tues. ( after working on Mon. ) they had a job or not.

cs
10-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Yeah but they have some cool looking boats.

Chad

edited to add: This is in response to Jami's post on TVA.

cs
10-12-2006, 08:49 AM
I think you're selling yourself short.

There's an elderly woman in my marina who owns an old Morgan 41' Out-Islander sailboat. She first got involved in sailing in her late 50's... and in her mid-60's, got her CG 'six pack' license, and began running charters on her Morgan. She continued to do it up until just a few years ago (she's 70 now), and stopped only because insurance rates skyrocketed... she still owns the boat, lives aboard it all summer long, and takes out 'friends' informally (they probably 'share expenses'). She can barely walk, due to various surgeries on her legs... but she carries on.

Now, if that don't shame ya into making the leap.... :D

I've been thinking for a few years that I would like to start a sailing charter. Of course I would have to get the right boat and move to the coast.

Chad

uncas
10-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Chad
Forgot to mention..half of the recs I have from TVA are from people that have since then, lost their jobs... No job security.

Joe (SoCal)
10-12-2006, 08:56 AM
I think I would like to get my CG 'six pack' license. I just think it would be a good thing to get since I enjoy the sport so much. I think about my future and I foresee a possible live-aboard or extended cruising with family and friends.

Not to get off target but since Chad is thinking or dreaming ( nothing wrong with that ;) ) What does one have to do to get a CG 'six pack' license?

Mrleft8
10-12-2006, 08:57 AM
N'Awlins..lemme think...yeah, famous for propane, makes sense.Lets go ask Hank. I always thought it was "Grain"....

Joe (SoCal)
10-12-2006, 08:59 AM
It's "Tang" just listened to Tina sing it. ;)

Mrleft8
10-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Joe has photo evidence.... :D

uncas
10-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Joe
Check with Matt J. He has, I think, been playing with this idea and he mentioned to me a log book with times spent on a boat in command.
I think he has actually been keeping one.

oops cross post!

cs
10-12-2006, 09:30 AM
So how do you get "command" time? Does going out on a small sailboat count?

Chad

Joe (SoCal)
10-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Hmm this season alone I probably have 180 days logged aboard. I just got a log book I will start keeping track. Where can you get definitive information on requirements for a CG 'six pack' license ?

uncas
10-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Joe
The local CG Power Squadron should be able to help. Ya gotta have one there somewhere.

Iceboy
10-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Here ya go Joe http://www.uscg.mil/STCW/ Look under charter boat captain.
Jim

Wild Dingo
10-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Chad anyone can achieve a "seachange" at 42 mate... not so hard to do you know... you just decide one day "buggar it Im gonna go do..." and do it

Ive had several over the years latest one when I was turning 47 and not once have I looked back... the change has not only been good for me personally but also for her highness and the hoonberries its also given us other changes that have also proven to be good changes with the passage of time

Im glad I changed careers in mid stride so to speak best thing I ever did.

Would have loved to have done something like that and still may one day when I get fed up with this career and change it again say 5 years?? time enough to sort all outstandings build or buy a good sized boat of the sort I figure will pay dividends and be a joy to "work" but it will be the change Im looking for just as this one was at the time

I think from what Im reading in your recent posts there seems to be a bit of disaffection and discontent in your career life right now... could be wrong just goin on several of your more recent posts is all... but if that so its only going to build within you as you continue to consider your present career and the career you wish you had... and think on this for a tic mate... IF you dont do it soon you may live to regret not doing it for a long time to come.

Whatever your choice mate be well

Another One
10-12-2006, 10:20 AM
edited to add: This is in response to Jami's post on TVA.

Huh?? Oh. . . .

Anyway:

I was born by the river in a little tent
Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

:o

uncas
10-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Chad
If nothing else, ya got the sexes confused.. LOL Jamie is male.. Jami is Dan's sister...hence female...

Heck, as she is younger, I keep telling her she has to change her name. The request has been refused.. LOL

cs
10-12-2006, 12:42 PM
You guys (and gals) need to start signing the bottom of your post so I don't get confussed on spelling. It took me forever to figure out who was Scot and who was Scott.

Chad

Bruce Hooke
10-12-2006, 01:08 PM
The thing about working on the water (on things like towboats) is it so often means long periods of time spent away from your family, home, and community. Some like that life. It does not sound so nice to me...

cs
10-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Most of the ones I've seen are 28 on and 28 off, working (2) six hour shifts a day.

That would be fine if I was single.

Chad

Wild Dingo
10-12-2006, 01:42 PM
The thing about working on the water (on things like towboats) is it so often means long periods of time spent away from your family, home, and community. Some like that life. It does not sound so nice to me...

You adapt Bruce... you and the family adapt and work through any issues that arise its not easy its bloody tough especially with kids and young adults and all that goes with those creatures but with a goal an eye to the future and the challenges that go with doing something you enjoy albeit away from family and home you adapt for the time it takes and the time at home is actually the better for it in some ways

Think on this... when I was in my other career as a counsellor I was constantly stressed constantly worried about my family about my children about the clients I had about a whole range of things that impacted on our lives yet many of those things that impacted really had nothing to do with our lives... but through me and my work they did impact subtly but deeply not only me but also Jo and the kids the whole family was impacted by what I did as a career

I enjoyed my work dont get me wrong loved it... the successes the people the work collegues the environment and yes sometimes even the failures had their moments of bitter sweet success... but it got to me steadily and slowly insidiously ate into my being until finally I realized I had to get out before it wrecked not only my capacity to help others but mainly my marriage and relationships with my wife and kids... no choice had to get out... for months I fought against it because like Chad I loved my work but I had begun to recognize my own dissatisfaction and my families discomfort along with the increasing levels of stress and anxiety of us all... to remain safe and sane I had to get out of counselling.

Now as a nearly 47 year old man with a family bills etc I had no idea what to do as a career a "seachange" if you will... many options but no reality among them for I couldnt afford the time off work to dedicate to study... so what to do?

I turned to the mining industry simply because of the financial rewards... We worked out the sums and came to the conclusion that if I worked to a rigid plan and everyone knew it that we could be debt free in less than 10 years and I could then stop the work I do to work close to home either a business of my own or for someone else is undecided as yet... so I went away... I tell you this mate the first stint of 2 weeks away are the hardest and I mean theyre hard as you are alone away from home the wife and kids and you dont know whats happening back there... but with their support you get through you go home and the welcome is wonderful... a week later you are leaving again and it starts all over... then you get on the plane with your "crew" with whom youve made some mates theyre married with kids too (we seem to gravitate) and so you talk a little about the past week... then you land on site and its back to work... its hard... but the rewards pay dividends

Im a lot happier within myself I have less stress I have less anxiety and Im healthier, the wife has sorted herself and the kids into a routine that works for them and they have less stress knowin that you are happier healthier and doing what you enjoy yes its hard hard as buggary... but it works and although it has some serious bloody horrid moments it comes together if it doesnt you dont go back.

Seeing Chads post of 28 days on 28 off working 2 x 6 hour shifts I believe its similar in that the blokes doing that work are away from home for a period of time we for 14 days on and 7 off this is counter balanced by our doing straight 12 hour shifts instead of the 2 x 6 hour ones he talks of... this may well be a legal requirement in that industry I dont know... but either way its the same your away from home but the upside is that the money is good (well mine anyway) and the job is one you either love or hate if you love it you stay if you hate it you dont or you dont last... but you adapt because you want to and because you have to you adapt... you all do

Just my view from where I sit... a week out from flying back to site :(

Meerkat
10-12-2006, 02:05 PM
I think I would like to get my CG 'six pack' license. I trust you understand this is not about beer? ;)

cs
10-12-2006, 02:56 PM
You see I would love to do something like this, you know work on the river. But as it may be I've become one of those that values security. I don't mind change, but in the work force I've gotten comfortable doing what I do and enjoy my job and the people I work for. Been work here since 95. Before that I worked at my other job for 5 years and before that I was on active duty. Oh I've had other jobs either part time or before I went active duty. I'm all about being loyal to where I work.

So with that it may be fun to dream about a new career, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to make a change.

That is of course unless I get a gig as a rock star.

Chad

geeman
10-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Chad , build one of those toy tug boats thats so popular right now.Then you can take it out on the river and pretend your drivin yer tug LOL

BrianW
10-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Career changes can be intimidating, and usually effect the checking account in a negative way, at least for awhile.

I went from this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/Flying%20in%20Alaska/inthedoor.jpg

did a lot of this...(running my own boat)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/Flying%20in%20Alaska/incoming3.jpg

and for now, to this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/North%20Slope/briandrivingbayboat.jpg

In just 18 months, except the part of getting the needed 'days', which of course went back in time before I retired.

Fortunately my job has never required me to be gone for more than 2 weeks at a time, although I've done 3 weeks voluntarily. Still not making the same amount of money as my Coastie days, and might not for several years to come.

Anyhow, as suggested, start keeping a log book of your time underway. But, you don't submit that log, instead it's a simple CG form on which you break down your 'days' by month and year. One for each boat you've run. If using your own boat, you'll need proof of ownership, such as state registration paperwork. If someone elses boat, you'll need a letter, probably notorized, from them. When you start running boats for a company, they will normally give you a letter with your 'days' on their letter head. My company does it annually.

Right now I need to take my sea time from running our big fishing boat back to the CG, and try to update my license to 100 ton. I also need to find a school to teach me some radar and towing endorsemenet stuff and take those tests.

There's also the 'Able Bodied Seaman' route, which I haven't looked into, but goes over much of the same information. That's needed to be a professional crewmember.