PDA

View Full Version : A cool wash cloth.

ishmael
10-11-2006, 09:12 PM
When I was full of fever, my mother soothed me. Praise be to all mothers! It was so simple.

One time I was high in fever and I ended up in the hospital. The wards were full, and I ended up on a gurney in the hall. The nurses were kind, and gave me a wash cloth on the forehead from time to time.

It seems to me, after much contemplation, that this kindness we give is the only thing really worthwhile in us. We fight, we contemplate universal matters, but the kindness is the thing. It's our one great accomplishment, to be kind when there is no reason.

Joe (SoCal)
10-11-2006, 09:16 PM
You do realize this is a WoodenBoat Forum ? :rolleyes:

huisjen
10-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Funny. I thought Mad Jack was about 50-Ish. I didn't think he'd have been around for the '18 flu pandemic, when they lined them up in the hallls.

And how long has it been since hospitals had wards, like long dormatories full of cripples and burn victims, rather than the modern system of rooms with two beds?

I'm not a cool wet washcloth though. I'm pretty sure I'll be viewed as a wet blanket.

Dan

ishmael
10-11-2006, 09:32 PM
This was 1968, a small town in Ohio. I was on a portable bed because the hospital was full. I was delusional with fever, spiking to 106, but I'm pretty clear I was in the hall not in a room. All were very concerned. They talked, I remember, about an ice bath if that fever didn't subside. Thankfully, it did. I wouldn't have liked an ice bath.

A complete unkown, it was never diagnosed.

huisjen
10-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Oooh. And permanent brain damage starts at 104.... ;) :D

Dan

LeeG
10-11-2006, 09:42 PM
ice,,with lemon slice?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Yes, kindness is important...

huisjen
10-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Doc Lee on the Kansas City told me, when I'd had a bad fever, that when you start to get toward 104 you've got to get the fever down. Your body can cope when it's around 101. If it get much past that, get in the shower and turn it on cold, or as cool as you can stand it. Just stand there in the shower and keep turning the temp down as you acclimate to each step. You may not like it, but you'll feel much, much better for it. I've followed that advice to good effect in the years since then. He never mentioned the slice of lemon though...

Dan

Joe (SoCal)
10-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Yes, kindness is important...

Yes, kidneys are important... ;)

ishmael
10-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Maybe that explains everything, a fever. LOL.

What are you proudest of? I have a couple pieces of furniture, a poem or two, but mostly I've been a self-centered shamless ****. I would like to think a few of my poems are worth remembering, but basically I'm like all the rest of us.

Is this even important? Maybe nihilism, the pleasure when you can grab it, is all there is. Is that what you believe?

Joe (SoCal)
10-11-2006, 10:12 PM
What are you proudest of?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/pffecdd76b31b7e4525bcf9edd1e3e35b/fcff673f.jpg

ishmael
10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Loren spins a pretty good essay on human compassion for no reason 'cept because in "The Star Thrower."

In it he's a bit angry, a bit unbalanced, wandering the beach, wondering at the horror of life. The shell seekers ad to his upset. Then he encounters the star thrower. An anonymous man who throws the sea creatures washed up back to the sea. It's clearly a futile human gesture, but after a bit Loren feels the impulse too, and begins to throw stars.

P.S. That's a very lovely pic, Joe. Don't ever take things for granted.