PDA

View Full Version : Trying the video thing (boat related)

BrianW
10-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I've been enjoying most of the links to various short videos that seem popular around the internet these days. The one in Chads thread about the Nina made me think... "hey why not upload a video about work"?

So I did...

http://tinyurl.com/j6xjj

It's a video of a us trying out a newly modified barge used for oil spill recovery. It was extended a few feet in order to get more speed and cure a porpoising problem. Here's the barge in the background of this picture....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/North%20Slope/whalingboats.jpg

...during the test run, the barge was filled with seawater. That's why it's riding so low.

I thought the video came out pretty good considering it was taken with a digital camera, and not a video camera.

The boat I'm driving is identical to the boat running beside us, they were taking pictures and video too.

Paul Girouard
10-06-2006, 11:15 PM
The video is ok , I'm not sure the barge issue is resovled:D Tows like a submarine or a tud that wants to sink but can't because of boat speed :D

capt jake
10-06-2006, 11:49 PM
I thought the video came out pretty good considering it was taken with a digital camera, and not a video camera.
I'll say! That is pretty good quality! :) Like Paul said, you sure that isn't a submarine trying to surface behind you? ;) :)

How did you get set up to upload? I have some sailing video I tried to upload to imagastation a while ago and the file was either the wrong format or too large. I ended up with a very short snippet of the video was all. The done't support streaming video either (I just discovered).

BrianW
10-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Yeah, the bucking around certainly had our attention.

It does ride better in calm waters, but we puposely went out in the 2ft chop just to see how it rode. The hold 249 barrels, water in this case. When full, they don't have much freeboard and you can certainly feel the difference between a full one, and an empty one, when approaching to tie up for towing.

Who knows? Maybe they try something even better, but it works now at reasonable speeds (5+ knots) and seas.

geeman
10-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Ok, I see the stove in the skiff there, but wheres the kitchen sink?

Paul Girouard
10-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Yeah, the bucking around certainly had our attention.

It does ride better in calm waters, but we puposely went out in the 2ft chop just to see how it rode. The hold 249 barrels, water in this case. When full, they don't have much freeboard and you can certainly feel the difference between a full one, and an empty one, when approaching to tie up for towing.

Who knows? Maybe they try something even better, but it works now at reasonable speeds (5+ knots) and seas.

How often do you have calm sea in that area ? Just wondering , maybe it would be better if it where a submarine , with just the right ballast to tow under the chop , have a remote way of refloating it pier side ? Crazy ? Maybe don't know but some outside the box thinking , of course the tow line would need to be cut able , hooked it to a CAD charge to blow it off if something went wrong like a POD / drop tank on a Tactical jet ?

Last I checked oil rarely spills in calm sea conditions ;)

Pete Dorr
10-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Brian

I'm guessing those boats are from Rozema.

How do you like them ?

I know they are not wood but they are pretty darn functional.

Pete

BrianW
10-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Pete,

I love'em! It's never a bad day at work, when your behind the wheel of someone elses boat, and they're paying for the fuel. :)

Great guess on the manufacture!

brad9798
10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
That Carolina Skiff is a ways from home! ;)

I think the stove is there to keep the passengers warm! ;)