PDA

View Full Version : Proposition 200 overturned

uncas
10-06-2006, 05:26 PM
In 04, the residents of Arizona passed proposition 200 which stated that one needed proof of citizenship and a proper ID to vote.

This has just been overturned by a lower court as being unconstitutional.

Even the president has to be a citizen...

JimD
10-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Next time I'm in Arizona I think I'll pop into a polling station and vote for something.

Nicholas Carey
10-06-2006, 05:47 PM
That's a problem for the shrubbery, given the Federal bill with similar ID requirements :D

Edited to add: it was tossed because it puts undue burden on a large class of voters -- the poor, the elderly, etc.

Making it hard to vote was (is?) one of the primary techniques used in the south to disenfranchise blacks. Same tricks, slightly different game.

Tristan
10-06-2006, 06:15 PM
I hate to say this, as I consider myself a liberal, but it was killed by a very liberal circuit court as I understand it. Damn!

crawdaddyjim50
10-07-2006, 09:36 PM
That's a problem for the shrubbery, given the Federal bill with similar ID requirements :D

Edited to add: it was tossed because it puts undue burden on a large class of voters -- the poor, the elderly, etc.

Making it hard to vote was (is?) one of the primary techniques used in the south to disenfranchise blacks. Same tricks, slightly different game.

Burden is cooked up crap! Just as in GA the local gov't would give them away and deliver them to their door. And IF you are too poor to go get a ID then we probably can expect that you can't afford to go to the polls to vote. WHAT Trype this is!

Osborne Russell
10-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Funny, Congress, under Republican control lo these many years, might easily legislate that states may or even must require proof of citizenship at time of voting, but they haven't.

They score more points this way, rousing the rabble with complaints that it's the fault of "the liberal courts." That way, they don't have to do anything but promise that things will be different when the Republicans control Congress, so get out there and vote Republican!

George Roberts
10-08-2006, 03:52 PM
It is one thing to have a "poll tax" to prevent legal voters from voting.

It is something else to have a "poll tax" to prevent illegal voters from voting.

elf
10-08-2006, 04:13 PM
It is one thing to have a "poll tax" to prevent legal voters from voting.

It is something else to have a "poll tax" to prevent illegal voters from voting.

Hmm. I wonder how the tax knows the difference.

uncas
10-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Heck, in the early 1800's, one had to own land to vote.In fact, some of our founding fathers were concerned about the " rabble " having the vote.
. Now technically, it seems that anyone can.