PDA

View Full Version : Iron finishing question for you.

alteran
10-08-2004, 09:54 PM
To make this a boat question I'll have to say these will be used on a boat. smile.gif HEY they could!

I am making some tavern puzzles. Two horseshoes linked together with 3 links of chain with a round iron ring that appears to be stuck on the center but can be removed by cleverness. I want to put a relatively rust free finish on these that will hold up when they are manipulated. Paint is not what I want. I'm thinking of blueing or browning or some similar treatment. This is not a production item and it should be a finish I can make in my standard metalworking shop. I'm not set up for powder coating, anodizing and such.
Just making a few for my Air Force son to take with him next month when he goes off to the mideast. Something to amuse the guys fighting our war. Maybe something to give to a local person.

Finish ideas? Other puzzle ideas to make of metal would be welcome also.

Thanks, Al.

[ 10-08-2004, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: alteran ]

Dave Fleming
10-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Heat the puzzle in a charcoal brazier and when almost red hot, dump in a pail of oil doesn't need to be fresh oil, just deep enough to handle the pieces.

OH>>>>don't be worried if FLAMES arise from the pail they will so die out.

Blacksmith in Anacortes did that to the brackets for my shop sign. It hung outside in all weather for over 2 years without a bit of rust.

alteran
10-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Does it have to be heated in charcoal to work? I can do that but just heating it with a torch would be easier. And after thats done and rinsed off is it a finsh that would make your hands dirty when you manipulate it?

Thanks for the info, Al.

Ian Wright
10-09-2004, 02:01 AM
,,,,,, Scandahoovian galvanising: get it red hot (blow torch is fine) Quench in a, linseed oil, or b. Stockholm tar, or c. fresh whale blubber. OK, I haven't tried the blubber method myself but I bet it works. Beeswax is good too, and I have tried that on blacksmith made wrought iron items. So,,,,,, first hot, then quench in oil/fat/tar/wax. There you go.
IanW

[ 10-09-2004, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Ian Wright ]

Big Red
10-09-2004, 03:29 AM
What Dave said, or you can get them Zinc plated fairly cheaply. Well over hear you can.