PDA

View Full Version : Sea-sick

Phillip Allen
10-06-2006, 05:53 AM
Okay, seeing as how I have every intention of sailing in spite of getting sick...

I sat reading my book the other day...in my porch swing and swinging widely. I got mildly sick and headachy...the next time I go sailing…

I intend to hit this plague with all that I can, including hypnosis if available...what is the best double, triple whammy to hit this irksome illness with?

I know we’ve talked about this before but nothing seems to have stayed in my head.

rbgarr
10-06-2006, 06:21 AM
I sat reading my book the other day...in my porch swing and swinging widely. I got mildly sick and headachy

If it wasn't the reading (and thus not focussing on balance and motion) I'd consider talking to a doctor about that. Try the swing again without reading?

John B
10-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Vitamin c, ginger, caffeine.
oh, and dry biscuits.

rbgarr
10-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Maybe you're pregnant!

Has anyone any knowledge about this oil applied to skin? http://www.motion-sickness.net/ My wife tends toward sea-sickness and is always applying lotion, so maybe I could doctor her skin cream!!

Gresham CA
10-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Those scopolomine patches work well for me.

uncas
10-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Having only been seasick once, North Sea June,64, I don't know what I would recommend. A lot like the patches but on the other side of the coin, a lot who have tried them would rather be sick.

Joe (SoCal)
10-06-2006, 08:05 AM
The old saying is everyone gets sea sick its just a matter of time. That said, some people are more prone than others. My wife is very prone, Tess is not. I most certainly am not, as Jamie ( Uncas ) can attest. We were rounding Port Judith in some heavy seas as Katrina made her way up the eastern seaboard. I went forward to help with the Jib, on this leg of the trip it was just Jamie and I ( Captain & Cabin Boy :D ) I was holding on to the halyard and doing elevator drops with every swell. We were rocking pretty nice with both pitch and yaw. I went back to the cockpit and popped open a fresh Coors Light and said to Jamie well I guess I'm not sea sick prone :D

But I'm sure my time will come. I hear ginger works.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-06-2006, 08:12 AM
People is all different...

SWMBO does not get sea-sick, can (as in I've seen her do it) cook liver and onions going to weather in an F7 - with an average crew this is either about as pointless as superglueing the spout on the chocolate teapot or it is vindictive...

Here try this it will.. no? Bucket then?

But give her five days on a boat and watch what happens when she gets off....
Bucket dear?

shamus
10-06-2006, 08:13 AM
I were seasick once coming around South West Cape. Can't understand it because looking on the map it's quite clearly protected water, in the lee of Cape Horn, some miles to the west.

Michael s/v Sannyasin
10-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I've only gotten seasick once; went out fishing on a guy's small fishing boat, sat there rolling slowly from side to side in the hot sun for a few hours, then took a bite out of my tuna sandwich with mayo that had probably turned by then...

There is a lot to be said for the training... the heavier the seas get, the better I feel. But then, I used to do trampolines and gymnastics... and I learned to sail on C15's which we'd take out in the open ocean and sometimes got some pretty good roller coaster rides on.

If I ever do get a little queasy, some fresh air on deck and a gaze at the horizon usually does the trick.

I've heard a lot recently that stress and/or anxiety will predispose a person to seasickness. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy if you're anxious about getting seasick. Yet another good reason to practice meditation on a regular basis ;-)

I've noticed from scuba diving that I should leave out acidic things from my breakfast if I'm going out that day... no pinapple, no orange juice etc.

A diving friend of mine used to get seasick all the time. She had the right attitude though, never worried about it, never mentioned it, a few minutes after the dive boat would head out, she'd nonchalantly walk to the back of the boat, upchuck, come back, take a swig of water and continue the conversation.

Paul Pless
10-06-2006, 10:46 AM
A lazy nap under a shade tree.:D

John of Phoenix
10-06-2006, 11:18 AM
...cook liver and onions going to weather in an F7
I got queezy just reading that. Bleegh!

nedL
10-06-2006, 12:14 PM
"...cook liver and onions going to weather in an F7"....... "I got queezy just reading that. Bleegh!"
Agreed! As others have said, everyone is differant. My dad would have enjoyed that F7 liver & onions. Me on the other hand, I've always gotten sea sick, even when I worked commercial fishing offshore. After the first three days things would improve some, but even after being out a week or so I had to get in my bunk ASAP when going below (was always OK when lying down & sleeping). The chronic smell of cigarette smoke & bengay in the focsle didn't help any.
Best advise I can give is to stay topsides & keep your eyes on the horizon. Things are often better on a sailboat as there is less of that slow nauziating rolling. Most of all Enjoy! :D

Hal Forsen
10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
I myself am not afflicted with mal de mer but I've seen ginger help people on several occasions.
A few years ago I was on a 3 day tuna trip and the weather got snotty. I saw this one guy was getting a little green around the gills and I offered him 4 of the Sailors Secret ginger pills I keep for the wife. In about 20 minutes he was back in the pink and catching fish and very appreciative.
Candied Ginger, Ginger Snaps, Ginger Candy, Ginger Ale, Whatever.

BTW you may want to check out the neat little book entitled "Heave Ho! My Little Green Book of Seasickness "
From it;
There once was a man from Nantucket
Who at sea always carried a bucket.
When was asked why
He replied with a sigh
"I never know when I'll upchuck it." :p

I think it's at least 50% mental; I remember when I was in the Navy there were a handfull of guys who would start getting ill before we'd even left the harbor!
HF

ken_nyus
10-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Mythbusters did their take on sea-sickness, and they found only Ginger or prescription drugs to help.

Rob Hazard
10-06-2006, 04:44 PM
I have always been prone to seasickness. The patches work, but they take several hours to kick in. Nowadays I take Bonine if I'm going out. Chewable, takes effect in about 30 minutes, lasts half a day or so. With it I can sail, fish, or surf ocean rock gardens in my kayak. Without it, I'm toast in the mildest of ocean swells.

I love ginger, chomp it down like candy, and I have spewed it all over my deck on a calm summer afternoon!

PeterSibley
10-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I were seasick once coming around South West Cape. Can't understand it because looking on the map it's quite clearly protected water, in the lee of Cape Horn, some miles to the west.

:D:D:D

PeterSibley
10-06-2006, 04:54 PM
In the old days when I worked on fishing trawlers ,sea sickness would be my companion for the first 5 days of rough weather ...I'd be fine until things kicked up.After the five days life would return to normal.

Interestingly enough I remember one old mate on one of the boats ( hmmmm...old ,he was my age now ;) ).He explained that he was sick for a week everytime he joined a new boat,it made for loyalty :).

Apparently the brain gets used to a particular motion and every boat is different .Good luck Phil.Remember horses are generally motion sickness free .

WX
10-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I don't about the US but some time back, there was an acupressure wriststrap on the market that was supposed to work.
I took up sailing when I found that I didn't get seasick easily...well that was one reason but it will do for now....have had a couple of dry bread only days though but I was only a passenger at the time with nothing to occupy myself with.

Tristan
10-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Be of good cheer. Often the first few days aboard can bring on a bit of queasiness. DON"T get into rough water during those first days. (I'm pretty good but when the first sea we hit while leaving Government Cut sent water clear over the house I knew I'd be puking in four or five hours). After one gets used to mild motion one can usually handle much more. We had a guy aboard our research vessels who ALWAYS got sick in bad weather his first few cruises. He kept at it, and soon he was free of seasickness and was the permanent scientist in charge of research cruises. As has been said, in bad weather one is often sick the first few days. Not good if you have to take thyroid meds or such. Of course there's the occasional person who will continue to have problems. I hope you are not one of those. Ease into it and Good luck

Tristan
10-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I should add that when I get sick I get very sick, just want to lie in my bunk (where I'll be OK, but getting back on my feet makes me puke).

Concordia...41
10-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Has anyone any knowledge about this oil applied to skin? http://www.motion-sickness.net/

I bought some of this at last year's WBS and would give it an 8 on a 1-10 scale (for me [history of getting car sick as a kid and sporadic incidents on the water as an adult]). It's heavy on the eucalyptus oil, but whatever works...

Unfortunately I either lost or left the vial of stuff somewhere... :( I've been through my FW jacket pockets etc. no luck and was too cheap / aggravated at my stupid self / hopeful of finding it to buy another box at this year's show. :rolleyes:

The problem with the scopolamine patches is that it's a one-size-fit-all patch. I was telling my GP that as often as not, I take off the patch because in medium seas the side effects of the patch - blurred vision, dry mouth, drowsiness, etc. seem as bad as a bout of Mal de mer, and he pointed out that it is because the patches only come in one dosage size. If you're a 325 lb guy or a slightly built woman, it's the same dose. Hence my negative reaction.

Sooooo what I've done is put the patch on 24 hours before leaving. Yes, I feel like crap and have kind of a foggy thing going - especially fun as you run in circles trying to wrap up things and organize provisions :( - but that's my work-around-solution.

I also have a stash of patches I've only had on for a few hours. I've yet to try a "used"patch, but it's something I plan to incorporate into the experiment.

Tomorrow night we have an offshore race - 7 pm gun - St. Augustine to Mayport (due north) and back. Forecast is for a front to move in with winds N - NNE @ 17-20.

Plan = get good sleep tonight. Eat nothing after noon tomorrow. I'll clean the boat and take care of things early, put on a fresh patch about noon, try to get an afternoon nap, and pray for the best. :eek:

I'll report when I'm able...

Edited to add - same as Tristan, horizontal - deck, cockpit, or in a bunk, I'm just fine. It's the movement involved in getting vertical and/or getting from Horizontal Point A to Horizontal Point B that was my undoing :(

At the worst of the worst trip (so far) I had 36 hours with zero fluid intake. I could lie flat on my back and think about how this probably wasn't good, feel ok and then get up, and in the time it took me to get to my feet -- from my bunk the companion way was two steps to the left - head was three steps to the right -- I'd have to head for the head :rolleyes: :(

Nanoose
10-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Before we headed off shore, I heard from a number of people that Stugeron was the only thing that worked for them - after trying the patches and every other seasickness concoction out there. Got some - it was amazing stuff, and I am very prone to motion sickness.

Not in Canada or US - but available in Britain and Mexico (British friends sent it to us).

Lew Barrett
10-06-2006, 10:11 PM
I never seem to get sick around here working the boat, even in the nasty stuff, but a couple of years back a bunch of us set out from Key West in one of those 35-40 foot generic glass sports fishers after a big business meeting. We were all guests of the boss, and I believe there were five boats. However, somehow the big guy was on our boat. Eight foot rolling seas, hot sun, no strikes, and of a sudden one of our foursome turns bright red and lets it go. And then again. He plops down exhausted on the cockpit floor and the next guy starts in. Now they are both going at it, and it is pitiful. Now, everybody knows I'm a boater, and the boss is looking comfortable. Meanwhile, I've been giving the "keep your eyes out of the boat" advice, but a bit to my surprise, I'm queasy as all hell. I think, well, it's a matter of pride. So I just somehow hold it down , but to be clear, I'm thinking, "this sun, the frequency of this swell, no bites...." I can't wait for the boss to call it off. However, the longer I control it, the more I realize I can hack it, but it is taking some effort. Watching those guys go back and forth to the rail....not a pretty sight....did not help me maintain my 'tude, but I did get through. I don't think I could have made it for three days under the circumstances, however, and a certain myth...that I can't get seasick.....was dispelled. It hasn't happened again, but then again I find I'm not as interested in big game fishing in hot climes on windy days anymore.
I think some people have a natural inclination to find motion at sea uncomfortable, but on the whole, I'm not one of them and I do think staying busy, not being around a bunch of folks that are puking their guts out, and knowing that you can ride it through all helps. On the other hand, being tired, under stress, and being suggestable will work against you. Get lots of rest; don't go out tired or hungry, and know, if it strikes, even the most seasoned sailor can have an attack. Maybe the ginger? Or the sturgeon? Whatever, it will pass. That's when you get your "sea legs." Welcome on Rita anytime, Phil. We'll keep the bucket out for ya!

WX
10-06-2006, 10:37 PM
read a story once about a couple who sailed across the Great Australian Bight, he got seasick. Reckons at first he was afraid he was going to die...then he was afraid he wasn't going to die :D
I met them at a party on a yacht a year or so later, she had had a few drinks...maybe one or two too many. Anyway when they were leaving, she missed the dinghy...Pitwater was quite refreshing that time of year.

Art Read
10-07-2006, 05:38 AM
Only one sure, guaranteed cure for seasickness... A nice long nap underneath an apple tree. (Advice most amusingly given about a thousand miles from land...) Seriously, three days continuously at sea should cure most sufferers. Longer than that and dehydration becomes a serious concern. A good reason to vet offshore crew candidates carefully. I've had folk with twenty years inshore experience with out ever a problem become useless after 36 hours offshore. It's all what you're used to.

(My own personal sure cure? Soon as as I feal the saliva start flowing and the headache kicking in, I immeadiatly chug a warm beer and chain smoke 'till I can let my belly go to leeward.... That usually cures me...)

Phillip Allen
10-07-2006, 06:08 AM
After spending 3 months on that 41 foot ketch and (earlier in life) 3 months doing temp duty on an old LSD (hull number 2) in the US Navy the longest continuous stint at sea for me was 5 days just before landing in Singapore. I went ashore at Singapore right away and found I couldn’t walk on land…Ha!

I wonder that maybe the sickness for me is that I have gone to using bifocals…?

Ian McColgin
10-10-2006, 07:54 AM
PAYBACK

“Rise and whine,” called the Captain. “There’s a great placed for breakfast but we should try to beat the Cotuit regulars.”

Cara slipped into her jeans and a flannel shirt. She hit the head and splashed her face. Then she went out the companionway with her foul weather top and sandals in hand. The Captain was swaying Tibbotts out on the foresail halyard. Cara walked up along the starboard deck and held the dinghy out from the rail as the Captain lowered it to the water.

“Less than four minutes from call to turn-out,” the Captain smiled. “You’re on your way to being a real sailor.”

“Seventeenth letter of the Pirate Alphabet to you too. Breakfast better be good.”

It took only ten minutes to row down wind to the Cotuit Landing and another fifteen minutes stroll to buy a Sunday Cape Cod Times and settle in at the Kettle Ho. Coffee was served, breakfast ordered, and the paper rendered into constituent parts all before 0715. A leisurely hour later, breakfast and the paper had both surrendered and the Kettle Ho was beginning to fill up. The Captain was ready to leave when a couple hovered over him and asked, “May we join you?”

“Steve. Jo. You bet. This is my goddaughter Cara. Cara, Steve and Jo are owned by a slick little Baybird and some horses. Hey guys, we took less than an hour from the Hyannisport mooring to anchored off Cordwood.”

“Yes,” Jo said. “I was riding Zamboni up on the Highland and caught a glimpse of you tearing out of the Seapuit and across the bay. Steve and I thought of rowing out but it was so windy and then we saw you guys row away. Figured you’d be here this morning.”

“So,” the Captain asked, “Are you here to cadge a sail back to Hyannisport. A little thrill on the high and riotous sea?”

“Negatory,” said Steve. “Breakfast tastes best just once. The only preventative for seasickness is to sit on the shady side of a peaceful country chapel on a warm summer afternoon. Cara, have you been to the rail yet? Or better yet, have you seen that Captain of yours go for distance in the competitive hurling?”

Cara looked at the Captain and his friends. “Why is it that you guys all seem to remember every up chuck ever chucked up?”

“Because he lures everyone out there for a bit of the rolly-polly and the uppity-downity,” said Jo. “Most of us learn from just once. Though what’s her name sails with you a lot.”

“You must mean Scott,” said the Captain. “She’s sort of like a Medieval Sin Eater in that she gets sea sick for all the rest of us..”

Steve looked thoughtful. “I had mal de mer once. If someone had killed me then, I’d have made him my sole heir. How’s that old limerick go?
As the ship and I tossed on a wave
And my stomach had naught left to save
I let out with a shout,
‘Twould be better, no doubt,
To be lying quite still in my grave.’”

Forty minutes later, the Captain continued with his nausea stories as he rowed Tibbotts against the gale back to Grace, and Cara idled in the stern sheets. “I was so lucky that the first time I was wildly motion sick I also learned that it need not matter. It was my seventh birthday. Dad rented a plane rated for aerobatics. I was in the front seat but too small to see out the windshield. The only time I saw ground was when we were upside down in a roll. No amusement park ride could ever shake lunch loose like Dad pretending he was a fighter pilot again. I turned that cockpit green. At least half the mess was blown back and plastered all over Dad. He was whooping and laughing so much that I was whooping and laughing as well, in between heaves.

“Then there was that first trip when Scott got sick. She was hanging grimly on to the weather rail, totally afraid to go to the leeward side and in denial about her stomach. When she finally offered up breakfast, it blew back all over both her and me. That cost me my breakfast in sympathy. Now, I was sitting on the helm box and Grace was heeled over about forty degrees, so this wasn’t such a feat as it might be on another boat. Anyway, she watched in horror as I reared back and then threw my head forward for a little extra distance and made a clean hurl right over the leeward rail. I turned to smile at her. She just snarled, ‘You’re having fun, aren’t you?’”

As they reached Grace, the Captain said, “It’s almost low tide now. I’d like to sail back with the best of the flood since it will also kick up the waves a bit more, working against the wind. Just to show some different aspects of rough weather sailing. Let’s leave about eleven hundred.”

At exactly 1100 the double reefed mizzen was up, the engine was ticking over, and they weighed anchor. The Captain added the double reefed foresail and jib as Cara swung Grace southwest onto a very fast broad reach through Cotuit. In just seven minutes they rounded up to the east around the red and green buoy. The Captain dropped the jib and foresail as Cara powered across the Bay towards Grand Island. Back in the cockpit, the Captain dropped the mizzen as well. They were moving very slowly against the gale. The Captain opened his mouth, but Cara forestalled him.

“About three knots.”
As they puttered up the Seapuit, the Captain laid a line along each side deck from the cleats on the gammon iron back to the stern cleat. He rummaged around below and emerged with the two inflatable life vests with built-in harnesses.

“I really was remiss,” he said, “Not rigging the jack lines yesterday. This is not an odd mistake. More than one drowning has been caused by being just too warm and comfortable running down wind when it’s blowing. Any little thing goes wrong – something of value blows overboard – and the helmsman rounds up without thinking. All of a sudden, the boat heels way over, feels the waves more sharply and the wind more fiercely, stuff comes adrift, crew members loose their footing, and maybe you broach. It just gets better. Maybe someone slips overboard and you’re forever beyond them before you can even think. Or you forgot to dog the forehatch and your poor boat swallows a few thousand gallons per second in a plunging sea.

“Well, should have rigged yesterday but will today. These two jack lines run uninterrupted the length of the boat so once clipped on you can go all the way fore and aft. You’ll be able to do anything on either side of the boat up on the bow or at the stern. Between the masts, you might have to plan what side to go out on. I’ve seen you snicker at people who are afraid of the lee side and struggle along moving about only along the weather rail. You know that it’s easier to move about on the leeward side since you can lean into the boat and have better handholds So, just be clipped in any time you don’t have at least one foot on the cockpit sole.”

At 1135 the Captain hoisted the mizzen and two minutes later set the foresail, forestaysail and jib. Cara swung south out the West Bay channel while the Captain trimmed the sails. Grace picked up speed quickly and the Captain signaled for Cara to shut down the engine. Five minutes had them clear of the channel and Cara bore up to a course of 170 degrees, at which point the Captain told her to hold that. He reminded her of the discussion of the day before and how in a high wind steering sixty degrees off the wind was about as good as Grace would do. But Grace was laboring hard in the high wind and steep seas and the Captain had all the sails luffing a great deal.

“No sense hurting ourselves,” said the Captain as he struck the mizzen. He then eased along the leeward rail to the foremast and released the jib halyard. Cara noticed that the wind held the jib up until the Captain pulled on the downhaul. He allowed the downhaul to trail off to leeward while he worked his way out on the bowsprit and began to furl the jib against the pulpit. He then picked up the downhaul and began a chain knot down the sail, furling it against the rail as he went. She’d always thought this procedure a bit over-done in the calm of the anchorage, but now understood that it was the only way one person could easily tame the sail.

Grace certainly handled more easily under just the little bit of foresail and forestaysail. It was easy to hold the course. The angle of heel was reduced to thirty five or forty degrees and the Captain trimmed the two sails so they were not luffing. At sixty degrees off the wind, a tight reach more than a beat, Grace had ample power to take the waves at an oblique angle. The sea was very confused, with foam from the breaking white horses all around, and there was no parallel shore line. Cara was unsure how fast Grace was moving but her helm response was firm. Cara figured they were doing three or four knots.

The Captain had taken bearings on several landmarks astern and disappeared below to mark the chart and log. Cara knew that he’d also look at the GPS. She leaned over the companionway and said, “How fast are we going? And what’s our track?”

“About four knots at one six five magnetic.”

“Yah-Who. We’re getting a lee bow lift. I’ve been steering one seven oh.”

“Sounds good, but things might change as we get out. Better current but far worse waves. Stand on till about noon and we’ll see. I’m going to foozle around down here if you’re all right.”

“Yeah. This is great.”

Ian McColgin
10-10-2006, 07:57 AM
And it was, for Cara. The waves seemed closer and higher than the day before. As they slogged out it seemed they were just hanging in a sea of confusion. The wind was so strong that spray from the leeward bow was blown at least one hundred feet straight to leeward like the jet from a fire hose. She fell into an easy rhythm as Grace all but steered herself. She was amazed that twenty tons of boat could be moved against this gale by only three hundred square feet of sail.

By noon things were not so good. The waves were breaking everywhere and the spume was pushing Grace off to leeward at the crest of each wave. The Captain emerged looking a bit thoughtful and glowered at the horizon.

“Should we tack?” asked Cara.

“Yeah. In a minute. I was down there a bit longer than was wise and . . .”

“And you always say that such things don’t matter. ‘Just do your job,’ you say.”

“La bitch sans mercy. Well, I’m about to do my job,” announced the Captain as he hurled himself to the leeward rail, got a death grip on the lifeline, and vomited with vigor.

He looked up. “But why this qualmish? Whence this queasy mood?”

He punctuated the line by turning once more to the rail.

“Have I swilled flagons? Swallowed noisome food?”

And, again, the rail.

“No mental loathings float upon the brain,
No dire prognosis from a tribe insane
Disease the fancy – yet – slow langours creep,
Contagion low’rs – chill dews the temples steep,
Man’s proud pre-eminence expiring lies,
And the last banquet – soon – too soon will rise.
Let’s tack. Drive her off to one seven five to get some speed. Start the turn just as you’re mounting the smallest wave you see. And remember you’re going way around. End up on the starboard tack at about oh five oh.”

“Aye. Aye. Tacking.”

As Grace squared away on the new tack, the Captain called out, “Beautiful!” He more or less fell to the new leeward rail and christened Grace’s port side. Then he lurched below and emerged with two small water bottles and a tube of crackers. He gave Cara one water bottle and all but inhaled the other with crackers. Then he attacked the leeward rail with renewed enthusiasm.

“Some healing hand for pity hold my brows –
Seraphic pens, record spontaneous vows!
If once on shore – away – a sluice prevails,
The world is deluged – sponges, mops and pails.
I gotta keep this fueled. Let me have your water. I’ll get you more. You feeling OK ? Hang on to the helm. I’ll be right back.”

After yet another rail session, the Captain lurched below and emerged juggling several bottles of water, a tin of Saltines, and some oranges. “Now I’ll prove that it’s not just talk, my theory. When seasick, keep watch, replenish fluids, and try to recycle some solids. You know, rough as it is, there’s no spray back here and it’s sunny. I think I’ll bring the chart up and stay on deck a while. Man, this orange is great.”

About five minutes, one pint of water, a half dozen Saltines, and an orange later the Captain thoughtfully added, “Yeah. That was so good I guess I’ll have to try it twice. Excuse me.”

Cara had heard at length the Captain’s theory that children vomit with pleasure, so why not adults. She figured that the Captain was simply in touch with his inner child. At any rate, Cara delighted in how Grace was sailing and she felt great. She was a bit amazed when the Captain disappeared below for ten minutes and returned with coffee, cocoa and crullers. As the Captain turned his attention to these treats, after a trip to the rail, Cara asked him with exaggerated innocence, “Do you enjoy it twice as much as I do?”

The Captain struck a declamatory pose:
“At sea the food seems quite delicious
And I’m sure that it must be nutritious.
I don’t mean for me.
It won’t stay down, you see.
I’m referring to feeding the fishes.
Anyway, we’re about on Wianno Shoal. Let’s tack.”

As they tacked, the Captain took a bearing on a flag pole on the beach and on the eastern jetty to West Bay, transferred the bearing to the chart, and marked the time: 1227. Then he sat back to about twenty minutes of the joy of watching a person begin to master rough weather sailing in the most felicitous of circumstances: a large boat driving easily. The broken clouds gave racing contrasts of dark greenish gray and iridescent white on the foam covered Sound. Cara looked wholly alert as she stood easily in front of the helm. Sometimes she braced her right foot on the leeward cockpit seat and the left on the sole, putting her feet on a nearly horizontal plane against Grace’s extreme heel. Her right hand kept her in light balance as Grace pitched over the waves. Then she’d vary her stance by having both of her heels together, right foot pointed nearly athawartships and left pointed about ahead, leaving her body turned just slightly to starboard, right hand on the wheel and free to sway and turn in all directions. The Captain noted the benefit of her training in both dance and meditation as her knees were never locked and she easily kept centered, cooperating with Grace’s increasingly vigorous pitching and heaving.

As they moved south into the North Channel, the longer fetch for the seas to build and the stronger current working against the sea build very large, close and steep seas, Grace noticeably labored in the foam as she mounted each wave. She seemed to be blown sideways in the foam at the crest of each wave. She all but stopped as she crashed into the trough.

“We’re slow and sluggish on the helm,” Cara said.

“Right. Let’s tack.”

But the tack failed. Grace settled into irons facing the wind and beginning to move backwards with the sails luffing violently.

The Captain clipped his tether to the port jackline and said, “Center the helm and hang on to it hard. I’ll go forward and back the staysail to bring us around. As we fall off, ease the foresail a bit and let her charge north till we get some speed and I get back in the cockpit. Then we can bear up on course again.”

“Aye. Aye. Center the helm and try for a starboard beam reach.”

The Captain scampered to the bow and pushed the forestaysail out to starboard. The sail filled backwards with the wind and almost immediately the bow started blowing off to port. The Captain held the staysail out till the foresail had filled and Grace was committed to the starboard tack.

They settled back into a sloppy hobby horsing towards Craigville Beach. As they passed Collier Ledge, the waves were noticeably reduced, though still steep and broken. The Captain glanced below at the GPS to confirm that they were again tracking 050, just the heading that they were steering. At that, he looked perkier and sat on the weather rail with his cruller and no cold coffee.

At 1342 they tacked under the lee of Squaw Island and beat out for a half hour, tacking again near Hodges Rock. This tack brought them past the Hyannisport breakwater at 1458.

“So, about three hours to do what we did yesterday in less than one. Still, faster than it might have been and you’ll notice that there were no other boats even trying.” The Captain was preening a bit. We could actually sail all the way back behind the Pine without too much stress. Just the beat across Lewis Bay. The actual entrance is about south. I bet we could rejoin the raft up without turning the engine on.”

“Sure, lets try.”

Safely rafted up with suitable beverages, the Captain basked a bit when Amanda remarked, “That was pretty slick the way Cara raised the mizzen and you struck the fore and forestay sails as you rounded up, then dropped the anchor, and came to rest right here.”

troutman
10-10-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm a brook trout guy not a striper guy partly because I get sick every time I'm on salt water. Found out the hard way that if the wind is coming directly from the direction of that big Rock Hall water tower it can take you all day to get there with that fussy tacking buisness. Heaved all the way there. Now I peel and place that perscription patch behind my ear and all is well. It really works.

The Gentleman Sawyer
10-10-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm prone to it and use the patches and they work, but after I take them off I get very sick. I'm to the point where I'd rather just go ahead and get over the seasickness than use the patch.

Ken

troutman
10-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Go below and read a book and your done for sure. When you feel the initial queezyness your shot but you can forstall puking by keeping visually related to the horizon. Look down at a book, chart or to untangle fishing line and you speed your trip to the rail. Funny though, as soon as your on solid ground your ready for a burger and a beer.

KNOCKABOUT
10-10-2006, 02:06 PM
I never get seasick, but the smell of Navy food being prepared in the galley made me want to toss my cookies more than once...

Henrik
06-02-2007, 03:17 PM
I get sea sick, bus sick , plane sick..... and so on.
aboard a boat the best I can do is to have the rudder in hand, and
pay attention to the horizon, and not the sails! (not to much at least.)
It seems to me that the chause is that if you pay attention to something
that doesn't move relative to you (like reading, staring on the sails or what ever) the brain gets confused bechause the signals from the balanze tells it that everything is moving a lot, and your eyes tells it that youre stable and at rest relative to the surroundings.
This notion has actually helped at sea!
(but not in planes, buses cars and so on)
Sometimes I have also gotten help from homeopathic medisine (and/or the local witch-doctor)

Good luck and dont give up.

Best Regards
Henrik

Concordia...41
06-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Quote I heard on this last trip:

"No wonder I was sick, my stomach was full of puke!"

:D :D :D

geeman
06-03-2007, 12:07 AM
I didnt read back on all the old posts in this thread but,,,,,,
Could it possibly be aggravated by a sinus infection?
It doesnt take much to throw your balance off,and I have seen people have balance problems that turned out to be a sinus infection they didnt even know they had.
A sinus infection can make you feel "floaty", and make you sick on your stomach,,,,,,,,
Just a thought,,,,,,,

Phillip Allen
06-03-2007, 06:21 AM
I don't remember what I wrote now but briefly:

2 1/2 months aboard and we never were out of port or away from anchorage for more than maybe 36 hours at a time and mostly at sea for 12 or 14 hours or less between stops. I never got my sea legs in all that time and tended to either sleep or stand at helm while moving (to avoid being sick). Recovery after stopping was usually a quick dive searching for supper or maybe a short nap and all was better...but the sea sick was impossible to avoid and I hated it...it made me miss a lot.

Leon m
06-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I didnt read back on all the old posts in this thread but,,,,,,
Could it possibly be aggravated by a sinus infection?
It doesnt take much to throw your balance off,and I have seen people have balance problems that turned out to be a sinus infection they didnt even know they had.
A sinus infection can make you feel "floaty", and make you sick on your stomach,,,,,,,,
Just a thought,,,,,,,

I've had the same experiance with an ear infection