PDA

View Full Version : I did something yesterday I've never done before..

Joe Dupere
10-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Not many people around here do it, only a couple that I know of and they were both there. Most people in my town would raise their eyebrows and look at me with distaste. My wife is jealous, because it's something she's always wanted to do, but just hasn't been able to make it happen. But, this is the bilge, and people here are very accepting of personal eccentricities, so I'm sharing it with allaya'll.

I milked a goat.

Oh, man, does that feel good to get that out in the open!! Actually it was pretty cool. A couple friends of mine have a small dairy goat herd and I stopped by yesterday to pick up some milk and they let me milk their teaching goat, the one they use to train relief milkers. She was pretty docile, which was nice, because I was very slow!! My wife has been interested in getting a dairy goat, but we haven't checked the zoning regs yet to see if we'd be able to do it where we are. But someday, maybe after we get the bees going...

Joe, FPoP

geeman
10-05-2006, 05:39 PM
GOOD Grief!!!!!!!!!! DONT Let JACK see this one,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

Phillip Allen
10-05-2006, 05:56 PM
How far are you toward getting bees?

Tar Devil
10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
GOOD Grief!!!!!!!!!! DONT Let JACK see this one,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

Dammit! Gotta clean my screen again!:D

Joe (SoCal)
10-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Dammit! Gotta clean my screen again!:D

Goat Milk Spew :D :D :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid170/p68ad5e3c23b2a3915ed22228b7538ad5/f3eea4b2.gif

huisjen
10-05-2006, 06:17 PM
I milk mine once a day, if you can call it that. Really I just strip her out. The kid (F2) is still here, and I usually find the mom (Hefeweisen) has an empty bag and goat spit on her nipples. Once the kid is gone I'll see how much she can really produce. Since this is her first lactation, she has really small teats (pronounced "tits"). I milk with thumb and first two fingers only. I look at some of those goats at the fair with 3" or 4" teats and think how easy they must be to milk. Maybe milking twice a day rather than once every 20 minutes (as F2 does) will streatch her out some. Her's are only about 1 1/2" long, but they started at about 1" long when F2 was born, so we're making progress.

Dan

Claudia
10-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Geeman, LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Tristan
10-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Oh boy, I was worried. I was afraid you'd had sex with a rabbit or used a spell to turn yourself into a toad. Milking a goat ain't so odd. My daddy used to hand milk a barn full of cows every morning before his college classes.

Phillip Allen
10-05-2006, 06:41 PM
I tried milking a cow once and it made my hands hurt...prolly did it wrong but still, it is a lot of work

geeman
10-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Right hand , or left hand???????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Phillip Allen
10-05-2006, 06:44 PM
both...

Tar Devil
10-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Geeman, LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Claudia, come up for air?

How's it going?

Later,

Phil

geeman
10-05-2006, 06:47 PM
On a similar note, let it be known that in Gatlinburg TENN, the law is still on the books that a single man cannot own a sheep in the city limits,,,,,,

The Bigfella
10-05-2006, 06:57 PM
I was afraid you'd had sex with a rabbit

Hey, that's our territory - we just had a court case about this (Kiwi) drug-using finance jockey in the city who was buying fluffy bunnies from the pet store in town. Use your imagination for the rest.

On a similar note, let it be known that in Gatlinburg TENN, the law is still on the books that a single man cannot own a sheep in the city limits,,,,,,

We had one still on the books about 25 years back that said you could herd sheep over the Sydney Harbour Bridge for a farthing per head. Some of my uni cohorts decided to do it - at peak hour one morning. I believe the law was changed after that.

Claudia
10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Sorry for the thread drift..Phil, I'm great but I think David is going to cut me off soon, he keeps pushing coffee. Your not very far away from us, a few people mentioned getting together in the spring, but a few are close enough for a day trip.:D

geeman
10-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Dont sheep have big teeth?,,,,,,,,

Paul Girouard
10-05-2006, 07:14 PM
At least it wasn't a bull. Now that would be a ,ah ,issue :D

You rock Joe :cool:

huisjen
10-05-2006, 07:28 PM
I had to look up what a farthing was worth: a quarter penny. LOL. Yes, that would uphold the reputation Australians have.

Now, about Gatlinburg: What if they guy had the sheep prior to a divorce?

Sheep have incisors only on the bottom. They have a tough plate on top, and molars in back. Old sheep loose their teeth and are called "gummers".

Dan

geeman
10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Uhhhhhhh I'll have to get back to you on that one Huisjen!!!!!!!!

glenallen
10-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Speaking of Jack, where is that hombre?
Don't make me come up there, Jack!

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-05-2006, 09:23 PM
When I was a teenager I worked on my Uncle Floyd's dairy farm in the summer months. We'd milk 40 cows, twice a day. Of course we used milking machines but imagine cleaning up the poop from 40 cows twice a day. Talk about yer crappy jobs. I have to admit if nothing else it prepared me for my current job.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-05-2006, 11:08 PM
http://www.swingingsteaks.com/images/cowmuck.gif

George Roberts
10-06-2006, 12:06 AM
That is a terrible picture of a goat.

I remember my wife going out to milk the goats one Sunday morning then coming in the house and giving birth.

Tristan
10-06-2006, 07:42 AM
When I was a teenager I worked on my Uncle Floyd's dairy farm in the summer months. We'd milk 40 cows, twice a day. Of course we used milking machines but imagine cleaning up the poop from 40 cows twice a day. Talk about yer crappy jobs. I have to admit if nothing else it prepared me for my current job.

In Miami I knew a couple guys who hand milked cows. They happened to be in a store where there was a hand grip testing machine that a bunch of the UM football players were testing their grips on. These two good old boys went over and showed those football players what a REAL hand grip was like.

uncas
10-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Got Goat!

All "kid"ing aside. I've never milked one. Seen it done. So billy, I mean bully for you.

Joe Dupere
10-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Phillp, we'll be doing a bee school put on by one of the local beekeepers groups next spring, and gettting a couple of hives after that. It's too late in the season up here to think about getting any.

Geeman, I was milking a goat, not a cat...

Joe, obviously that's Pina Colada spew, goat spew is curdled. Besides,
goat people know how to wear a hat..

Uncas, your book is in the mail.

Dan, the goat I milked had teats about 3 inches long and were pretty easy to milk. The biggest problem I had was that they don't have a milking stool and I had to sit sideways and twist my body to reach the udder. My back was cramping up more than my hands.

Tristan, a rabbit!!?? Land sakes, ya'll have some odd customs down in Florida..

Domesticated MKIA - that's one of the nice things about goats. They
can't get their tails covered in manure and then smack you in the head when you're trying to milk them.

Joe, FPoP

geeman
10-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Joe LOL I was referring to not giving Jack any "new" ideas LOL