PDA

View Full Version : Chemist? reducer for interlux 404/414

JimConlin
06-04-2003, 10:18 PM
In a pinch, what less proprietary solvent can be used for interlux 404/414 epoxy primer?
I note that xylene is a named ingredient of 404

Popeye
06-05-2003, 07:27 AM
try toluene, hexane or acetone. experiemnt with a small batch. toluene is the solvent in contact cement i think, and acetone is nail polish remover. hexane is the stuff used in labs to dissolve sticky organics for analysis. in either case experiment in small scale and keep it off your skin. shop thru the automtive section and read the content labels on fuel additives that clean injectors, they typically contain solvents.

thechemist
06-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Is that interlux primer a songle-component oil-base "primer" or a two-component epoxy-type product?

Less polar molecules dissolve in less polar solvents...generally. There is a rule-of-thumb that "like dissolves like". Thus, hexane, a really non-polar molecule, will solvate oilseed oils and indeed is used to solvent-extract many natural oils from seed-pulp and such. Hexane is VERY volatile, like high-octane gasoline. Not a good brushing thinner. Acetone is much more polar but evaporates so fast it will seem like the "Fastest draw in the West" [Wanna see it? Wanna see it again?].

I gotta know what that stuff is. Howzabout a link to a MSDS? The fact that it contains one thing does not mean that adding a lot more of that one thing will be a Good Thing. Sometimes a solvent diluent, added in excess, gives Goo Precipitation, and the mess separates into a two-phase mixture. Negative outcome. Not good.

Ross Faneuf
06-05-2003, 05:41 PM
404 is a 2-part epoxy primer. There is a standard Interlux reducer for it; is it not available to you? I don't have the product number off-hand, but it's in the instructions on the can - 2316N or 2333N, probably. Emphatically wear VOC respirator. Excellent product.

And 404 is the commonest of all Web errors smile.gif

JimConlin
06-05-2003, 06:10 PM
The interlux thinner for brushing is #2333n . It costs $12.79 per quart at Jamestown. Dunno whether it gets hazardous shipping treatment.

I'm just wondering whether a more generic solvent will serve the same function.

The relevant MSDS are:
404 (http://194.128.184.165/msds/Y404_A7_US.pdf)

414 (http://194.128.184.165/msds/Y414_A7_US.pdf)

2333n (http://194.128.184.165/msds/Y2333N_A1_US.pdf)

Scott Rosen
06-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Jim,

404/414 is an expensive and very durable product that should last for many years. It's really false economy to try to save a couple of bucks on thinner, when you're probably paying $50/quart or more for the epoxy.

I just used the 404/414 for the first time a few weeks ago. My only complaint is that it doesn't level very well. I rolled and tipped my cabin overhead, and the brush marks from tipping never quite leveled. I guess I'll have some sanding to do.

Do any of you have some tips on using this stuff?

JimConlin
06-05-2003, 09:08 PM
It's really pretty reasonably priced. If you buy a couple of gallons, the 404/414 combination is a bit cheaper than the $13/qt. solvent. I just wonder if there is an alternative.

Yes, it needs a little fussing to get it levelled out. Foam brushes do the job but don't last long. It sands out very nicely, though.

Popeye
06-06-2003, 07:42 AM
try ethyl alcohol at $20 a quart, it's my favorite solvent for diluzing espos, expossk, eposky.. ah.. glue.

thechemist
06-07-2003, 08:29 PM
You should be able to use lacquer thinner, but it may evaporate too fast. That recommended solvent mix of theirs is fairly polar and slow-evaporating solvents, just what you need to hold those resins in solution as the faster-evaporating solvents in the paint flash off.

Easiest is to stay with their solvent.

Dave Hadfield
06-08-2003, 12:02 PM
The trouble is finding it. I just ordered some of this coating, but forgot to order the thinner. No one carries it in stock, not around here.

I guess I'll use it out of the can and clean up with laquer thinner.

thechemist
06-08-2003, 08:09 PM
A clean-up solvent is one thing, and lacquer thinner should work.

A brushing reducer to give good flow and leveling is quite another thing.

It depends on your need. If you brush the A+B mix straight-as-it-comes-from-the-cans and it brushes out nicely, you will only need a clean-up solvent.

Their formulation seemed more of a very-slow-evaporating brushing reducer that would also serve for clean-up.

Scott Rosen
06-09-2003, 05:57 AM
I think the stuff would be near impossible to brush without thinning.

Dave Hadfield
06-09-2003, 10:35 AM
Really? Then I guess I'd better order their solvent. Thanks.