PDA

View Full Version : Riveting catspaw dinghy

Tom Mac
10-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Hello, I am finishing a 12 1/2, and have a bit of wood left over. Iwas reading the catspaw book. It looks like when you put the planks on, you nail them with the copper nails, then you turn the boat over right side up, and put the roves on and rivet it up. Now if that is what I read , what holds the planking together when you turn it right side up? the nails? Thanks Tom Mac

orphan314
10-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Tom, congrats on your 12-1/2. When I build lapstrake I generally build over frames rather than frame it up later. Then you can screw fasten to the frames and drive the copper nails between frames. Later you can remove the screws in the frames and put rivets there as well if so desired. Dave

Thad
10-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Herreshoff's practice was to tack with escutchion pins until the boat was off the molds and then rivet.

Paul Scheuer
10-01-2006, 04:27 PM
I set the rivets as I planked the Yankee Tender. Up-side-down riveting is right up there with overhead painting on my list of least favorite things. On my project there are only four planks. If I faced it again or had to do three times as many planks, I'd look for an easier way. My guess is that since the rivets are to be driven into undersized round holes, they would be tight enough to hold the allignment until the boat was turned. If things seemed to be getting loose, you could temporarily hold it with a few screws and nuts, or maybe just set a few rivets in strategic places.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid18/pf5cd0ce29f8fe26ff22aacc2a26a68c5/fdcc740d.jpg

orphan314
10-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Herreshoff's practice was to tack with escutchion pins until the boat was off the molds and then rivet.

Thad, where did you find this info. I know that some people who have built small Herreshoff dinghy's have done this but I haven't seen info that suggests that Herreshoff did it this way.

Herreshoff was always concerned about efficiency. Why not pin the planks with the actual rivets as opposed to pinning them with escutheon pins and then pulling them out to put rivets in. The reason I use short screws in the frames is due to the fact that the moulds are right under the frames (ie frames are bent over the moulds) and I don't want to pin the boat to the moulds.

Thad
10-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Building the Herreshoff Dinghy, the builders method -- a Mystic Seaport book Barry Thomas put together working with Charlie Sylvester, who built many of the dinghys, working at Herreshoff's from 1912 til 1940. I would say that the pin being set was not in danger of being jarred in the building process. I have used screws myself, and rivetted the ribs put in later. #4 x 1" screws would be removable for replacement but larger screws would likely have shank size larger than the copper nail.

Tom Mac
10-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Hello, and thanks, looks like I got the information I wanted, Yes I could put in small screws and then when ready turn it right side up and remove the screws with rivets.Or go half and half with screws and rivet nails. I'm now thinking of a warm body to hold up the bucking bar. Thanks Tom Mac