PDA

View Full Version : Question on Macgregor Canoe

allans
04-14-2003, 09:42 PM
I am building Ian Oughtred's Macgregor canoe. I am doing it strip planked instead of lapstrake. I am new at this, so this may seem like a stupid question...here goes. This boat has a "hog" or keelson. The cross sections on the construction plans clearly show the planking going over this hog and the keel on top of the planking. But how does this resolve it self toward the outer stem/keel scarf? The outer stem is clearly shown not sitting on top of the planking, it is directly on top of the inner stem. Now I understand that at the fwd end of the inner stem the planking comes to an end and the outer stem caps it off, but what happens towards the bottom of the boat? The planking has to go somewhere, but the inner and outer stems are molded together so they don't accomodate planking between them. I guess the whole boat could be planked over the inner stem and hog and then the outer stem could be molded in place, but that's not how they show it and that's not how I did it. salzman18@attbi.com

ishmael
04-15-2003, 06:59 AM
I don't know the answer to your question. Adapting a design in this way usually involves a series of 'spatial decisions', which, when the project is done you will doubtless second guess. It's a fairly good reason to build to the design. The designer has already thought all this out.

Keep after it! Hopefully bringing this to the top will solicite a more helpful answer.

NormMessinger
04-15-2003, 08:02 AM
It merges with the keel. The strakes lay upon the keelson and terminate on the inner stem and stern. A keel is laid on the bottom and the outer stem and stern are laminated in place to merge with the keel. No sweat.

Don Maurer
04-15-2003, 08:08 AM
It seems to me, it would be done the same way as you do lapstrake construction. The inner stem is tapered so that the planking fits beside it. The base of the outer stem is wider than the tip of the inner stem by the thickness of the planks. The profile looks like a "T" with the ends of the planks held in place by the base of the outer stem.

Jim M
04-18-2003, 07:26 PM
planking is on top of inner keel and inner stem. Outer stem and keel are on top of planking, scarfed to each other.