PDA

View Full Version : Glazing Putty Compound

maa. melee
09-25-2006, 04:40 PM
On a traditional solid plank on frame wood boat, does the BLO/whiting/white lead/jap drier (glazing putty and white lead) putty work for puttying over nail holes and small surface imperfections? This compound isn't going to be used for seams but rather filling small cracks and over nail heads for above and below the water line on a dry sailed boat covered in paint.

Jay Greer
09-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Yes it will work. However, we prefer to use Z-Spar # 2 glaze or an automotive glaze called "Nitrostan" as they dry faster and sand more easily.
JG

JimConlin
09-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Is the 3M acrylic spot putty in the same category? I've had good luck with that.

maa. melee
09-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I mixed up a small batch tonite and puttied it into some checks and surface imperfections on a piece of scrap 2x4. It trowels very easily but isn't runny. It began to stiffen so I added a few more drops of boiled linseed oil. It smelled wonderful too! I will check on its hardness tomorrow and see how well it sands. How long can I expect this type of putty to last in marine conditions? Exterior home conditions?

maa. melee
10-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Three days and it's still soft...and I used boiled linseed oil...weird.

ssor
10-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I have repaired hundred year old houses that had common bright nails, set, puttied over and painted and the nails were still in excellant condition.

maa. melee
10-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I've seen similar. I'm just worried this stuff won't set up harder like an off the shelf product. Well, I do have the time so I'll just wait it out.

Jay Greer
10-03-2006, 10:54 AM
One alternative that, usually, is ready to sand in several hours on a hot day is micro balloons mixed with fast dry West System Epoxy.
I build a small dam, with masking tape, under the ding or fastening hole to keep the mixture from drooling down the hull. Once set up, it can be planed off with a sharp block plane and then sanded.

maa. melee
10-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Sorry, Jay. No epoxy for this project. :):)