X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe (SoCal)
    Banned
    • Feb 2002

7:28 p.m. Sunday Sept 24th 2006 Serious Accident

This is my first post after being in my first serious life threatening accident in my entire life.

I was traveling east on Fishkill Road at about 50 mph, when a car came off of rt. 9 at a high rate of speed, crossing the double yellow line. I pulled the wheel hard to the right and the little bit of rain caused it to skid I countered and the car slid sideways. The car rolled over and everything moved in slow motion. It went head over wheels and landed up right with the wheels on the ground. I was in so much shock I did not know what to do. The engine was still running and so I put the car in gear and just pulled the car out onto the road and drove home. the cars port side is a bit mashed but concidering the impact still drivable, obviously.

I arrived home shaken and upset about an hour ago. In all honesty I had been at the "Meeting House" earlier with some friends I had been sailing with and had 1 beer and 3 rum & cokes in 4 hours period along with a bunch of food. I had not overdone it at all. I'm more than confident that my BAC @ 190 lb. for 4 drinks in 4 hours was fine. I have never been in a self inflicted accident ever. It was very scary and the fact that the Saab went head over wheels and I ended up up right says a lot for the car and possibly my luck as a driver, even though it is a convertible I'm alive and left me utterly shaking.

I'm writing this email still shaking and coming down from this accident.

WHOA

Joe
  • Bruce Hooke
    • Mar 2000

Wow. Yikes. Thank God you survived. It is amazing that the car, a convertable no less, managed to roll over without killing or injuring you, and to top it off remained driveable afterwards.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
      • May 2002

Wow! ya gotta take a walk and try to get yourself setteled down...shock is bad even in moderate doses and needs to be delt with...maybe a hot shower or the walk...keep us posted (glad you are fit enough to post...)
      The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
      Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• Memphis Mike
        Banned
        • Jun 2001

Glad you are OK, Joe.

Comment

• R.I.Singer30
          PRO NOBLEM reisinger30
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson )

WHOA

Joe
          lucky dog
          LIVE FREE OR DIE..............TRYIN'

Comment

• Paul Pless
            pinko commie tree hugger
            • Oct 2003

damn dude, your lucky
            glad your okay
            Last edited by Paul Pless; 09-24-2006, 07:12 PM.
            Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• pcford
              boatwright/film/video
              • Jul 2002

Great that turned out well. Saabs have gone up in my estimation. Always knew that they are tough.

Comment

• StevenBauer
                LPBC member
                • Jan 2000

Holy crap! Glad you're OK. I remember how shaky I was after spinning some 360's at 65 mph on I-95 one time. Probably be sore tomorrow.

Steven

Comment

• Memphis Mike
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2001

Yep, you're gonna be sore as hell. It might do you well to take a hot soak in the tub and follow up with some over the counter pain relief before bedtime.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                    pinko commie tree hugger
                    • Oct 2003

When do we get pictures?
                    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Ed Harrow
                      Retro Member #1235
                      • Mar 2000

Nobody believes that slow motion thing unless they've been there. Glad you're OK.
                      "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Comment

• Meerkat
                        Senior Member #4667
                        • Feb 2002

Ak - you may be in trouble for leaving the scene of an accident!

I'm soooooooooooooooo glad you and the other occupants are ok!!!!
                        If you don't think for yourself, someone else will do it for you!

Comment

• Tar Devil
                          Original Invisible Man
                          • Nov 2001

You are very lucky on many fronts. Glad you're ok.

That's one reason why I never have more than a beer when I have to drive home. The accident may not be your fault, but the alcohol will make life very difficult.

Later,

Phil
                          Happiness is worth waiting for!

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                            • May 2002

I don't drink at all any more...never interested me much in the first place though I certinly have done so in the distant past.
                            The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
                            Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Market
                              Ak - you may be in trouble for leaving the scene of an accident!

I'm soooooooooooooooo glad you and the other occupants are auk!!!!
                              No accident occurred, I drove home.

Comment

Working...