PDA

View Full Version : Leather attachement

cs
03-22-2002, 02:16 PM
My sharpie has a free standing roatating mast. When I put the hole in the partner for the mast I oversized it a bit so I could wrap the mast in leather. Well I finally bought some scrap leather. What I plan on doing is wraping the mast at the partner to protect it agaisn't abrasion. How is the best way to attach the leather? Should I laminate with thickned epoxy or would tacks be better?

Chad

Alan D. Hyde
03-22-2002, 02:39 PM
Tacks make holes that may promote rot and weaken the mast.

Why not just punch the leather and sew it on, perhaps over a little white lead/linseed oil paste ?

Alan

Ian McColgin
03-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Absolutely sew it on. No goo to set it in. Cut it a bit small - for a mast I should think a nearly 3/8" gap would work - wet the leather, and use a herringbone stitch to pull it in.

The thread will lie down in the leather and I doubt chafe will be a problem.

G'luck

cs
03-22-2002, 03:14 PM
Why use the herringbone stitch? Can I just lace it like a shoe?

Chad

Ian McColgin
03-22-2002, 03:57 PM
Can't help but think you're funning me but, just incase . . .

They're structurally the same.

NormMessinger
03-22-2002, 04:10 PM
Better, the "Baseball stitich," eh? ;)

--Norm

cs
03-22-2002, 04:25 PM
I'm sorry, cause I ain't funnin you. Sewing and stitching is one subject I know nothing about.

I did look up the herringbone stich on the net and this is what I found.

http://www.anu.edu.au/ITA/CSA/textiles/sharonb/stitches/dictgifs/Herringbone.jpg

Is this the one you are talking about? The reason I asked about the "shoe string" method is that the holes would be eaiser to do. All you would have to do is punch holes oppisite each other.

Chad

Ian McColgin
03-22-2002, 04:38 PM
Norm's right. I've for years thought the terms 'herringbone' and 'baseball' stitch were synonomous but no . . .

Should'a kept my fingers still and let a real stitch artist answer.

But anyway, now you've got the idea. . .

By the way, when you punch the holes in the leather, make it a slit at an angle to the line of stitching

not o o o o

not - - - -

but / / / / (not such a steep angle)

This keeps the leather from tearing. I just flattened and sharpened an awl for the job but it's really cool to use a tool with multiple tines.

[ 03-22-2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Ian McColgin ]

Pete Roth
03-22-2002, 04:49 PM
Not knowing the accepted way of protecting the mast I cut approx. 3" pieces of 1/4" brass half oval and spaced them about 3/4" or 1" apart around the mast at the mast collar. They are fastened with small ring nails as I remember. Yes, it puts small holes in the mast but my boat sits on a trailer and I keep everything well varnished so water shouldn't get under the half ovals. Another approach that looks nice and has held up well after three seasons. I also have no shrouds on my boat and strength hasn't been a problem.

Don Maurer
03-22-2002, 07:20 PM
You could also leather the mast partner. Here is a link that explains how.

http://www.woodenboat.net.nz/featurestories/Leatherpartnersfolder/leatherpartners.html

cs
03-25-2002, 08:08 AM
Got the leather laced on to the mast yesterday. It seems to be in place real good. Laced it on real tight while it was wet. I'm assumeing that once it drys and shrinks it should be there with no chance of slippage. In fact it don't slip no at all now.

I do have one concern though. The leather is a bit thicker than what I had planned on and I hope it will fit through the partner. If not I will make the hole in the partner a little bigger.

Thanks for your help.

Chad

Scott Rosen
03-25-2002, 11:20 AM
Where do you get your leather? This may sound silly, but I was looking to buy some last year, and it seems no one sells it around here. I even called a tack shop, and they wouldn't sell it to me except in huge sheets.

cs
03-25-2002, 12:12 PM
I found it at The Leather Factory:

http://www.leatherfactory.com/

They are only about a mile away from the office. I bought mine out of the scrap bin for $1.50 a pound. Let me know what you need and maybe I can go down there and find it for you.

Chad

NormMessinger
03-25-2002, 12:27 PM
I tried to get some scraps of shoe leather from a nearby shoe repair shop shop. He refered me to his supplier who was not in the yellow pages. The supplier had everything from scraps to whole hides in dozens of varieties. Scraps sold by the pound.

--Norm