PDA

View Full Version : Cuprinol...

maa. melee
09-22-2006, 06:37 PM
...is no longer carried by my local paint store. Shame really. Some kid there suggested I use Thompson's 'wood preserver' as a substitute...I sighed and said 'No.' So where does one find some curinol??

Donn
09-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Google it. Lots of folks, including Jamestown Distributors, sell it.

Bob Smalser
09-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Any difference between this stuff and plain old green copper napthenate sold at Home Depot and Lowes?

maa. melee
09-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Does HD and Lowes carry CN based preservers? Know the alias it goes by, Bob?

Bob Smalser
09-22-2006, 07:28 PM
It's usually stocked near the linseed oil. In 1-gallon turps-style cans with white labels.

http://www.nelson-paint.com/msds/MS18_01.pdf#search=%22manufacturer%20copper%20napt henate%22

I think it's the same thing as Cuprinol green. Looks like green-colored kerosene. Takes weeks to dry before painting.

Ken Hutchins
09-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Ok here is the situation as I know it. Cuprinol used to be a separate company, but was bought out by Sherwin Williams, gradually SW 'watered down' and phased out all the good old Cuprinol products and the green stuff was the last item to disappear.
Just about the time I wanted some for my boat it was all but gone, no longer available at any SW store or warehouse, except I found that Jamestown had 6 gallons, I bought 4 of the six, that was a year ago, I have 2 left:D .
Anyhow when Lowe's opened a store near here I found some Green copper preservative in that store made by Jasco, it even has a slightly higher % of the copper Napthelyne (sp) than Cuprinol had. Upon doing a WEB search on Jasco I found that they also have a clear copper preservative, and a brown and a black.
Also search the Jabsco site I found that it is available from HD, Ace hardware and also Do-it-best hardware.
I wanted some clear for the interior, HD idiots didn't want to play the special order game with me, Ace wanted me to order a full case of 6 gallons, but the good news was the Do-it-best hardware store would order the 3 gallons I wanted, the gal working there ordered it in less than a minute over the phone to the warehouse, 2 days later I got a call to pick it up.:) :) :) :) 4 smilies for the Do-it-best hardware store and for Jasco.
So from now on just drop the Cuprinol name it doesn't exist (might as well ignore SW also) refer to it as Creen copper preservative and toss out the Jasco name.

Ken Hutchins
09-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Oh and another item when I was searching the SW stores for the no longer to be had Cuprinol, what does a manager at one of the SW stores tell me? "SW has bought Thompsons" So don't bother looking for more of the good Thompsons products either I'm sure SW will water that down and destroy it also.

Dave Carnell
09-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Clear Cuprinol or generic is zinc naphthenate.

RonW
09-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Copper napthenate Dave, copper..

I think everyone should make a copy of Ken's post, the true story behind the demise of cuprinol..
Home depot is also carrying Jasco now.....

Frank Wentzel
09-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Ron

Dave is right. The clear preservative contains zinc naphthenate which while not as potent as copper naphthenate still does a good job. It can be used on canvas and other items where the green color of CN might be objectionable. In our area a local paint company (Mobile Paint, I believe) marketed them under the names "coppertox" and "zinctox". I'm not sure if they are still selling it.

/// Frank ///

RonW
09-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Well that leads me to the question, is there 2 varieties, the clear which is zinc napthenate, and the green which is copper napthenate?
Any reason to choose one over the other?

I am sure the green variety sold by jasco states copper mapthenate.
I also remember reading on a coast guard site about wooden boat building, that they supposedly have discovered that this will conduct a very mild electrical current.

paladin
09-23-2006, 10:37 AM
will conduct...but then again, so does salt water....

maa. melee
09-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Wow thanks for all the information. I've always turned to this local paint store that carries all brands of paints, mostly Cabot however. Its getting harder and harder finding paints that kill. Pretty soon all paints will be edible and smell nice too...;)

Ian McColgin
09-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Cuprinol gives off toxic vapor for its useful life, which is not problem in an open boat but is a health risk in a cruising boat, especially a well used cruiser.

maa. melee
09-23-2006, 01:49 PM
I can live with that, should be fine for what I'm using it for.

Ken Hutchins
09-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Jasco makes a clear COPPER preservative AND a zinc based preservative.
http://www.jasco-help.com/products/prod_wp.htm

maa. melee
09-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Found what I needed at Home Depot of all places in the deck and siding stain section. Made by Behr. 9.08% Copper Napthenate. Takes about a week or more to dry.

http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/products_detail?prodGroupId=67&catName=Specialty&catId=10#126

RonW
09-24-2006, 01:12 PM
The Jasco brand is 25% copper napthenate, and usually home depot and lowes have it....
generally next to the solvents, beside the xylene (more good stuff )
excellent for rashes, poison ivy and healthy livers....

donald branscom
09-24-2006, 02:33 PM
...is no longer carried by my local paint store. Shame really. Some kid there suggested I use Thompson's 'wood preserver' as a substitute...I sighed and said 'No.' So where does one find some curinol??

I know what you mean. Yard Birds just had two stores closed in the area where I live in northern California because they were taken over by Home Depot. VERY BAD NEWS!!!

Yard Birds had the best selection of bolts,Nuts and other fasteners any where in the area. You could get a stainless metric fastener in different thread pitches if you wanted. Just about anything. Also a selection of brass for model making and small sheets of steel and aluminum for small projects.
The employees (most of them) knew the product they were selling and had a lot of usefull information. They liked working in hardware.

Home depot store that took over doesn't have any of that now.They only have what they can sell that day practically.Sometimes a young kid doesn't really want to wait on you if you have ANY questions.

A real shame and they will be sorry .Now i buy my stuff online but of course I must wait a week for everything.

paladin
09-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Home Despot carries BEHR brand....cuprinol...but apparently they intend to discontinue it as it doesn't sell as fast as Thompsons to the home owner...

maa. melee
09-24-2006, 03:40 PM
My local Home Depot doesn't carry Jasco (anymore?).

paladin
09-24-2006, 03:42 PM
actually...not every Home Despot carries the same stuff.....and the on-line stores are another thing again....

MarEng
10-03-2006, 02:56 PM
The local Lowe's sells something called Termin-8 (clever huh). It's Copper Napthenate but dyed brown - to make it more appealing. Look in the section with deck stains, etc.

Hugh Conway
05-15-2013, 03:52 PM
The local Lowe's sells something called Termin-8 (clever huh). It's Copper Napthenate but dyed brown - to make it more appealing. Look in the section with deck stains, etc.

You can also get copper napthenate at Tack Shops for treating Thrush. You'll need to dilute it some to get proper concentration. Things like this:
http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.php?pid=100811&key=300125&cat=Hoof+Supplements
are much higher concentrations (here 37.5%)

The problem, at least in my experimenting, was it bled substantially when painted and/or filled, at least if you were using oil products for that. So I didn't bother for the Wood Canvas canoe. For a skinframe boat why not just use synthetic fabrics?