PDA

View Full Version : People of Perth: meet your new landlords -- the Nyoongar

Nicholas Carey
09-19-2006, 08:18 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1744596.htm

Nyoongar people win native title over Perth

A native title claim, which incorporates the whole of the Perth metropolitan area, has been upheld in the Perth Federal Court today.

In his findings, Justice Murray Wilcox recognises the Nyoongar people still have a connection to the land.

He has ruled that they do hold native title in the metropolitan area, although Rottnest Island has been excluded from the claim.

The decision allows the Nyoongar people to conserve and use the natural resources of the area, maintain and protect sites, hunt on the land and use it for traditional purposes.

Meerkat
09-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Oiks - Shane, you better stay clear of Perth - or is Dingo not on their menu? ;)

Hwyl
09-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Shane is probably a Nyoongar . He's declared himself lord muckity muck and at this moment is being pulled around Perth in a cart being pulled by formerly wealthy whitebread sheilas

shamus
09-20-2006, 04:57 AM
I haven't bothered to read that link (bit slow here) but I doubt it will come to "landlord". As far as I know the Native Title Act excludes freehold land from being susceptible, therefore this ruling will apply to such areas of Crown land which various folk can show they have had a continuing association with. Good on 'em.

Wild Dingo
09-20-2006, 06:27 AM
The winning of the case is a major win for the Aboriginal people here but it was announced today that it will be appealed by the state and federal governments.

Its basic premise is that of giving the Aboriginal people of the region the right to fish hunt and live in a tribal way on virtually ANY peice of crown land that is free from encrumbrances or development... it doesnt cover private land freehold in specific in other words the people of perth can rest easy that the Aboringinals wont stake a claim and move onto their backyards.

Interestingly with this result I am left wondering how many Noongyars will actually take up their "rights" and go back to living in brush humpys wearing a cloth over their lower privates or even for that matter taking up the tribal rites of passage of "law"... as I said more for recognition rather than reality... few Aboriginals and less Noongyars live fish hunt or go through tribal law that this wont change that.

Basic summise of land rights over Perth is to give them the ability to say "This is my land" and whole of community recogintion of continuity of tie to the land from perpetutity to perpetutity... its more symbolic than actual right to the land of greater Perth albeit they will with this happening have right to the land and use of it of any commenwealth or state owned land that isnt presently being used... in other words the beautiful Kings Park with its wonderful bush veiws overlooking the Swan River and Perth itself is fair game by this ruling.

By the way I am Yamitjii not Noongyar (spelling as used by the Noongyar people) it doesnt impact on me or my people until the next level is attained... although we have ties tribally... the next level being the Noongyar peoples claim on the whole southwest region of Western Australia from Jurian Bay to Esperance including Albany and Kalgoorlie...

This result is only a small win and will be contested and appealed by the government the next level will be the big test... if they win the appeal AND then win the next level there are cases waiting in the wings for such an opening... it will be interesting.

Nicholas Carey
09-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I haven't bothered to read that link (bit slow here) but I doubt it will come to "landlord". As far as I know the Native Title Act excludes freehold land from being susceptible, therefore this ruling will apply to such areas of Crown land which various folk can show they have had a continuing association with. Good on 'em.I know that...I was just having some fun.

I have a hard time imagining a decision like this coming down in the US regarding our own aboriginal peoples.