PDA

View Full Version : And the Crowd Goes Wild!

Concordia...41
09-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Docked the little yellow boat tonight solo, with an audience of 5 or so couples sitting on their balconies watching the sunset.

It wasn't that big of a deal - slack high tide, but my Capt. Rhonda approach made for quite a show and I could hear a little kid yelling in excitement as I did a little mental math to make sure my insurance policy / credit limit covered the boats in my path / damage I could do.

But it was one of those where the gods were smiling, the boat nosed into her slip on que, and I stepped off the boat, put a couple of wraps on the appropriate cleat, waved and took a bow :D :D

I don't recall anyone being on their feet, but they were all clapping!

[Sailing] Details at 11....

Paul Pless
09-16-2006, 08:27 PM
:) coolness

Katherine
09-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Nobody got wet! :eek: :D

pipefitter
09-16-2006, 09:42 PM
That's great! Surprised you didn't back out and do it again to show the first was no accident. :)

Wild Dingo
09-16-2006, 09:49 PM
If the crowd went wild without wild in it... imagine how wild it would go if wild WAS in it!! :D

I mean enthusiasm people!! ENTHUSIASM!!! Do a mad jumpin Irish jig do a mexican hat dance do... do... bloody hell get excited here!! let yer hair down and go nuts! THIS IS AMAZING STUFF!!! History in the makin the stuff dreams are made of for cryin out loud... get excited! :D

Man... sorry I wasnt there to boost the rather mundane audience participation rates Margo my girl but dont you worry your pretty flamin red headed noggin one day... one day!... you will try those fancy dockin manoovers and you will KNOW that youve done a brilliant job!

There will be this voice from amid the crowd a voice of reasoned quietness amid the booming celebrations a voice with a funny sounding nasal twang you wont see who owns the voice until the rest of the audience scatters to the four winds in embarrassment then you will see this short wheel based bloke with a curly totally unruley mess of hair on his head a wee tubby fella smilin an laughin as he cheers you on... "THATS MY GIRL!! THATS ME SHEILA!! GOOD ON YER BLUEY!! YOU TEACH THESE FLAMIN YOBBOS HOW ITS FLAMIN DONE YOU BLOODY LITTLE BEUWDY!!" something along those lines... Id be excited... and you would know it!! And then... THEN the crowd would go wild :D :D

Of course then Id expect you to turn a color closely resembling your hair color and run over and pick me up givin me your world renowned bear hug!! :eek: all the while laughin and smilin mutterin "DINGO YOU MAD FOOL YOU!" :D aahhh and all will be good with the world eh? :p

:cool: Am now patiently waitin for you to wake up and post the rest of the story with pics of that eventfull event and the enthusiastic crowd ;)

mmd
09-17-2006, 06:43 AM
To quote that abyssmal TV show from the '80's; "Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?"

Good on ya...

uncas
09-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Good show Margo. The first time done well is alway a good memory. After a few more, it will become old hat.
Frompersonal experience of course!

Phillip Allen
09-17-2006, 08:06 AM
I always liked the way Carl (owner of the ketch I crewed for three months) would point out the partialy hidden heads in the various boats watching the approach of a strange boat in some marina we were in; "there watching for f***-ups"

Mrleft8
09-17-2006, 08:11 AM
I would expect nothing less from you Margo! Now..... To get to Joe (CSOH) mighty "Sailorman" status, you need to do this under sail..... ;)

Phillip Allen
09-17-2006, 08:15 AM
one step at a time lefty...be content :)

Phillip Allen
09-17-2006, 08:17 AM
I have docked/landed and trailered a heavy boat many, many times but that all was close to 40 years ago...I'd need to re-learn some things I suspect

S/V Laura Ellen
09-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Docking reminds me of the TV show "The Wide World of Sports" tag line "The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat."

Margo:
Congratulation on your "thrill of Victory" and may the "agony of defeat" be a thing of the past.

uncas
09-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Doug..I know there are those here on the forum who do it all the time.
I have only done it once. In the rain. I did not enjoy it as it was a very tight slip. Single handed makes it tougher. The only advantage I had was a steady 20 knot wind on the nose. Only thing that saved me.

Damage..lost my post for my flag on the transom when it hit a piling.

htom
09-17-2006, 08:20 AM
A legitimate thrill in a world of faux. Congrats!

Concordia...41
09-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Actually, I've had two occasions of docking under sail, but since both were directly related to a sudden shortage of fuel, and thus by default rather than choice, I don't think they count ;)

- m

Mrleft8
09-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Nobady ashore need know the details Margo....

Phillip Allen
09-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Just re-read you original post...a fun post

uncas
09-17-2006, 08:26 AM
The cause of my sailing into a slip was not a shortage of fuel per se. Rather, a clogged fuel line. The outcome was the same. No engine.

Mrleft8
09-17-2006, 08:28 AM
The cause of my sailing into a slip was not a shortage of fuel per se. Rather, a clogged fuel line. The outcome was the same. No engine.
Clogged fuel line? Some bacon get loose or something? :D

uncas
09-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Nah
Fish scales from the fish I cleaned after I caught them with Canadian Bacon.

Claudia
09-17-2006, 09:42 AM
You better have had an Asti after that. I take it you are putting in those 50 hours of sailing alone that you talked about????;)

Ken Hutchins
09-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Docking reminds me of the TV show "The Wide World of Sports" tag line "The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat."

Margo:
Congratulation on your "thrill of Victory" and may the "agony of defeat" be a thing of the past.

Well said.
Congratulations.

Henning 4148
09-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Good thing you didn't give up after the initial mishaps and carried on with the learning curve. Not long now and you will cooly and critically judge the berthing operations of other people with the certain confidence of the expert who knows that she herself would do it just perfect! Good girl!

Joe (SoCal)
09-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Good on ya ;)

I've found that it takes a bit before you become an extenstion of your boat and you can feel her from stem to stern and just be able to do as you did almost everytime.

When we take Tidbit in this winter, I have my work cut out for me repairing little early season dock dings :(. All part of the learning curve. Soon margo you will be able to swing her in like those launch drivers in Newport. I could sit and watch them pilot a craft, spin it throw it in reverese and stop on a dime all day .