PDA

View Full Version : Zimmer Hacker 16' Gentlemen's Runabout

andymay
09-15-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm interested in building the Zimmer Hacker 16' Gentlemen's Runabout as found in WoodenBoat Publications "Thirty Wooden Boats". Someone must have built one as there was a photo in an old Wooden Boat Store Catalogue a couple years ago. I'd like some additional photos of her complete and/or under construction plus any other information on building her form someone who's completed her.

This may be a little strange but I'd like to power her with an electric inboard. I sail on a resevoir where no gas or diesel power boats are allowed. Yes, it is as quiet as it sounds (not a jet ski for 50 miles!) and I'd like to keep it that way!

Thanks.

mcdenny
09-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Andymay, That 16' piece of varnished artwork will surely improve the scenery on your quiet lake but you could go faster and further in a boat designed for displacement speeds, considering the high weight and limited power of an electric drive system.

At 849 lbs displacement on its designed waterline there's not going to be much load carrying ability for a battery bank and the immersed transom, while not as bad as a modern deep V, will be just dragging water along at 5 or 6 mph.

Then again, the knock out appearance may be worth it.

Robmill0605
09-19-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm interested in building the Zimmer Hacker 16' Gentlemen's Runabout as found in WoodenBoat Publications "Thirty Wooden Boats". Someone must have built one as there was a photo in an old Wooden Boat Store Catalogue a couple years ago. I'd like some additional photos of her complete and/or under construction plus any other information on building her form someone who's completed her.

This may be a little strange but I'd like to power her with an electric inboard. I sail on a resevoir where no gas or diesel power boats are allowed. Yes, it is as quiet as it sounds (not a jet ski for 50 miles!) and I'd like to keep it that way!

Thanks.

I'm building one, http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=50665

This is NOT an easy boat to build. There is a lot of flare in the bow and a lot of shape in 16'.
Fair warning.
I'll be happy to answer questions you might have.

andymay
09-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Robmill0605, Thanks for the amazing photos; she's a beauty! Cold molding makes alot more sense than batten seam. Keep us all updated, okay?

Denny, My research agrees; Ray makes motors and controls but nothing bigger than a 5HP; barely get away from the dock. Back to the drawing board!

Boat Design Quarterly, No. 23 ($7.00 from WBS) has a little more data, Mike O'Brien suggests, "We might want to adapt one of the many four-cylinder automobile engines..." and Zimmer, according to O'Brein, wrote in '84 "In Germany during the early 1920s, several boats of this type were powered by outboard motors located where in inboard would otherwise reside."