PDA

View Full Version : Skiff flooring

CayoHueso
07-11-2001, 10:22 AM
I am going to build a 12' skiff this winter, and wanted to put in some unique finishing touches. I have a bit of antique heart pine t&g flooring left over from a home improvement project. Was wondering if that would make a durable floor, if properly sealed. The boat would be stored on a trailer under cover, so daily moisture would not be an issue.

Bateau Boy
07-11-2001, 12:21 PM
Seal it with good epoxy and either paint it or varnish it and if you would like to you can also put clear awlquip with fine nonskid mixed in it. The best way is to cut the t%g off of it and plane it down depending on the support frames in the bottom to around 1/2". Good luck with tender project.

Bruce Hooke
07-11-2001, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a great plan to me. The stuff is probably tough as nails since it's old growth wood, so it should be plenty durable. I would consider simply oiling it if that would fit with the finish on the rest of the boat. There was a seperate thread recently on similar issues:

http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002839.html

CayoHueso
07-12-2001, 12:46 PM
Was at my favorite specialty hardwood lumber yard yesterday afternoon. He showed me some Ipe that was absolutely beautiful. Heavy, yes, but durable and strong. Any opinions out there?

Bateau Boy
07-12-2001, 07:36 PM
If you have the pine, then use it. Figure you are recycling it. Good for mother earth, and it is a known product. If it is a 12' skiff, the theory of use it and abuse it applies here. If you put it down in small strips, you can always pull it up and change it. You will probably be pulling it in and out of the water so think of the weight. Just my opinion.