PDA

View Full Version : Tabernacle for small boats?

Dunhill_BKK
09-13-2006, 09:53 PM
G'day, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm finally narrowing down my choices, but I was wondering about the use/need for a tabernacle in smallish boats, such as Iain Oughtred's Fulmar, Gannet or Ness Yawl.

I was thinking that it might be handy, but haven't seen anything to match the very functional/well designed tabernacle in the old 12Msq British Sharpies. Any advice and/or pictures of good wooden taberancles would be helpful.

The boats I'm currently considering as a project are the Fulmar and the Ness Yawl. I may also build a small clinker plywood rowboat first to get into the swing of things.

Cheers,

Boatmik
09-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Howdy,

I have experience with a couple of these boats - the masts are not that laborious to get up - so tabernacle may not be needed.

If you like the one on the 12sqm - why not just use it? If you are choosing the stayed rig for the various boats you mentioned there will be no probs with directly stealing the idea.

That's where I've got all my best building and design ideas.

MIK

Dunhill_BKK
09-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Has anyone got any good photos diagrams of good tabernacles for me to compare. I've seen some steel ones, which look strong, but I reckon I'd prefer an entirely wooden structure, just for good looks.

Cheers,

brian.cunningham
01-05-2007, 06:51 AM
http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/princess%20thumb7.jpg
There's also a few threads on the forum about them.
Do a search on 'tabernacles'