PDA

View Full Version : Shapely buttocks

mcdenny
09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Just finished shaping the skeg for my 25' electric launch, Coyote II form Weston Farmer's book.

The glue lines in the plywood looked so cool I had to post a picture. At least they looked cool to me as they emerged after four hours of power plane, disk sander, wood rasp, orbital sander, hand sanding.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid214/p53cf7abd522f0b284947e5952e6d4dbb/ed05709d.jpg

JimConlin
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Positively callipygian!

Tom Lathrop
09-11-2006, 09:20 PM
What a disappointment! Fraud, fraud, where are the shapely buttocks?

Beautiful form anyway. I was also intrigued with Farmer's Coyote and the very efficient performance data he listed for it. I think he said it was about as efficient as a monohull could get. He gave it a bit more beam for greater stability than the original Coyote which required crew to keep their hair parted in the middle. How are you going to power it. Maybe found on of those old slow turning chuggers? Keep us posted.

Very interesting boat.

Todd Bradshaw
09-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I thought this was going to be another thread featuring Leon's wife..... In any case, it's a nice looking piece of boatbuilding.

mcdenny
09-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Tom, It will have a 6 hp electric motor and 500 lbs of batteries where Mr. Schock meant for a 500 lb, 10 hp gas engine to go in 1907. Slow turning without the chuggin'

Tom Lathrop
09-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Sounds like a good match to me Denny. What voltage to you plan to use and what are your performance projections. The 6hp electric motor should make it run very well. Is it a golf cart motor?

mcdenny
09-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Tom,

(8) 6 volt AGM batteries in series (48v) under the sole and a brushless DC motor, the same one Briggs & Stratton is using in their second generation electric outboard. The motor can handle 100 amps continuous which is a bit more than 6 hp. Gates 1.6:1 cogged belt driving a 10 x 9 prop.

It should go 9 mph for 9 miles or 7 mph for 15 miles or 6 mph for 30 miles. Top speed at full military power will be about 11 mph for a few minutes until the motor overheats.

A small, very quiet, Honda generator will be stored in the lazerette which can charge the batteries and/or drive the boat about 5 mph for 8 hours on one gallon of gas. Full battery charge from shore power costs about a dollar, takes about ten hours.

I hope to have the boat done in another couple of months and be able to verify these performance projections before the river freezes.

I think the same notions that are motivating people to buy hybrid cars will motivate some to electric boats - high cost of gas, politically unstable oil sources, global warming - plus what could be nicer than a quiet ride around the lake with a picnic supper, bottle of good wine, stereo playing softly and pleasant conversation with friends.