PDA

View Full Version : 'The Man' announces retirement

Paul Pless
09-11-2006, 08:55 AM
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5241391,00.jpg

I've gotten a lot of pleasure watching this man's career.

uncas
09-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Heck, I thought this thread was gonna be about Tony Blair.

Paul Pless
09-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Spew!!!

LOL!!!:D

Heck make it what you will, I'm guessing Michael won't get much play here, even amongst the internation bilgerats.

S/V Laura Ellen
09-11-2006, 09:08 AM
He is an amazing driver. He is also an amazing jacka$$. I can't I will be too sorry to see him leave. His legacy will be around for a long time though.

uncas
09-11-2006, 09:10 AM
So, who is he? Yes, I figured out he raced cars but...

Paul Pless
09-11-2006, 09:12 AM
He's Michael Schumacher.

Many claim, and his poles, podiums, wins, and championships bear them out, that he is the greatest Formula 1 driver of all time.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-11-2006, 09:43 AM
As a driver he may very well be the greatest team builder ever.

Quiz: whose stats are these?
Grand Prix Starts: 72 Pole Positions: 32(44.44%)

martin schulz
09-11-2006, 10:11 AM
I've gotten a lot of pleasure watching this man's career.

You did? Well I didn't. The guy is just one of those arrogant snobs. Perhaps he is always too careful to voice his real opinions, but his TV apearances always got me biting a pillow. The perfect boring, wisecrack son-in-law.

Paul Pless
09-11-2006, 10:18 AM
PISN, I've rolled those numbers around in my head, and can't for the life of me think who it is.

Martin, perhaps we in America have been somewhat 'protected' from his oftrack personality. A typical F1 race coverage for us begins at about 5:00 in the morning with the drivers on the sighting lap and ends when the various national anthems play. I am well aware of his offtrack personality though and was mainly referring to his driving prowess. I think it should be noted many of the current F1 drivers are arrogant jerks off the track. Makes one long for the days of Senna and Prost or even earlier...

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-11-2006, 10:35 AM
See Here (http://www.formula1.com/archive/halloffame/driver/125.html)

I think it will be some time before there is a well balanced appraisal of Schuey's place in the pantheon, one of the greats - yes - better than Fangio - who can tell.

What is true beyond doubt is that the sport is much safer now than it was in the sixties - M.S. has had a fifteen year career contrast that with the death rate 35 years back....

Ross M
09-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Dang it, PISN - I just figured it out and then you posted the answer :p

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/images/clark3.jpg

Immediately after Senna's demise the subject of "all time best" was much discussed. Some wag pointed out he crashed more in any given season than Fangio did in his entire career.

While I don't know if that is true, it is certainly a complication in determining "all time best".

Ross

bamamick
09-11-2006, 11:35 AM
I had thought of him as being an icon. Shows how much an American knows about F-1. I thought that the Germans worshipped the guy.

Mickey Lake

martin schulz
09-11-2006, 12:10 PM
I had thought of him as being an icon. Shows how much an American knows about F-1. I thought that the Germans worshipped the guy.

Mickey Lake

Of course the "lower classes" do, but us educated people are above those mindless worshipping...;)

The main yellow press paper once urged us to copy Schumi's heroic attitude. Perhaps I should because this guy has transfered all his money first to Monaco and then to Switzerland where he is paying his reduced taxes now. What a real german hero...

Phillip Allen
09-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Anyone who can be entertained with car racing can also be entertained with a little sticky on his fingers and a feather...

bamamick
09-11-2006, 12:27 PM
when I first visited Germany he and Steffi Graf were easily the two most popluar sportsmen/persons in the country. I suppose now that it's Dirk Nowitski (sic?)? I always thought that that was why the Sportcanal carried so much tennis and F-1 during the broadcasts.

I know that a lot of the Brits in the entertainment business have moved their residences to other places because of the tax situation. Wasn't aware of any anymosity towards Shumacher because he had done the same.

I will say this one last thing: he MUST have been a hell of a driver for me to even have heard of him :). I can watch auto racing for just about as long as it takes for my brain to register that that is what I am seeing.

Mickey Lake

Lew Barrett
09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Anybody want to speculate regarding bike racers as well? Traditionally, it was lore that Hailwood was the greatest. This in a time when 80HP was the norm, but no traction control, different power delivery, less aerodynamics, entirely different world. Is there any question that Valentino Rossi is the world's best today? But how would he do on an MV Agusta or 750SS compared to Hailwood, Reed or even Ago? I'm thinking he would have done fine.

Ross M
09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Anyone who can be entertained with car racing can also be entertained with a little sticky on his fingers and a feather...

Thanks, Phillip. Great contribution to the punchbowl.

Ross

John Meachen
09-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Michael Schumacher's retirement certainly marks the end of an era.I know he was/is an exceptionally good driver.The thing is,he didn't have too much opposition during most of his era.At the time he entered Formula1, there were people such as Senna,Prost,Piquet and Mansell to beat.By mid 1994 they had all gone and with the exception of Hakkinen and lately Alonso,the depth of opposition had gone.To be the focus of the massive efforts of the Ferrari team could hardly lead to anything other than success.In essence the earlier posts have it right-how can you compare drivers from different eras?

Phillip Allen
09-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks, Phillip. Great contribution to the punchbowl.

Ross

Glad you liked it Ross... :)

brian.cunningham
09-11-2006, 04:46 PM
I think he's making a good choice, retiring at the top of his game, and not waiting to be a has-been.

It will be nice to see if he goes on to other series. Sportscars? LeMans? Nascar? ;)

John B
09-11-2006, 04:59 PM
First good laugh of the day Philip.:D ( unsticks sellotape from forefinger)

Its just tall poppy stuff this Shu mocking isn't it. Is he really any more arrogant than anyone is at the top of his sport .

bamamick
09-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Olympic gold medal. He was getting on in years, and I was on my way up (at least I thought that I was. Apparently what I was on was a couple of degree incline for about 25 years, and it looks like the top of my slope was far below where I thought that it would be at 20). Anyway, I used to be disgusted by the way everyone used to kiss up to this guy and made my feelings known. Several times we spoke to one another and I always felt the arrogance in every conversation. It really got to me.

Once we were through sailing and were sitting around talking and I said something to the affect of 'that guy is always such a jerk', etc. The friend that I was speaking to was quite a bit older than myself. He just looked at me and said 'give the guy a break. If you had people bending over themselves all day long kissing your butt and just wanting to be around you to make themselves look good how would you act?'. I thought about that a lot then and have never stopped. If you suspected every single person that you meet of wanting to use you for some reason or of having some ulterior motive for everything that they do how would you treat people? Yeah, me either. I am not sure how I would respond, so once again I try not to judge people unless I am forced into it.

Just another point of view. I am certainly not disputing Martin's respected opinion, but things are sometimes not all that they seem.

Mickey Lake

Ross M
09-11-2006, 07:02 PM
...It will be nice to see if he goes on to other series. Sportscars? LeMans? Nascar? ;)

I would be surprised if we don't see him driving sportscars in a few years. Then again, rumour has it he has a thing for, believe it or not, rodeo...

...Its just tall poppy stuff this Shu mocking isn't it...

hehe - Robin Miller recently wrote a very funny article about Drivers We Love to Hate (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/31225/)

Shuey wasn't in this particular article - but he could have been, especially after the recent "spin for the pole" incident.

Ross

Ed Harrow
09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Bah. There hasn't been an driver come close to Juan Fandango, or Girling Foss, not to mention Phil Dill or von Grips for that matter.

Chris.
09-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Nothing ever happens, except in the pits!

I'm with Lew. Give me the MotoGP bike races any day. Those guys ride 130kg bikes with about 250 bhp, and tire/road contact patches smaller than your hand-print. Lean angles in turns are now such that elbows scrape - not just knees.

Find the MotoGP races on Fox, and watch one. I know they get little coverage in the US, but this year the likely world champion is one Nicky Hayden, from Kentucky. Unless Rossi can get him in the next couple of races.

During the last weeks Sepang GP in Malaysia there were more passing moves in a lap than in a whole season of F1. And I won't even mention the 125 cc kids - total madness but super racing.

Someone mentioned arrogance, but I don't think it is Schu's fault or of any other driver. The F1 circus and Bernie Ecclestone are the arrogant ones; its all so bloody commercial now - all about sponsors and TV coverage of the Beautiful People. Actual racing seems to be a distant third.

Unfortunately, I see this is what Americas Cup racing has become.

Rant over. :D

formerlyknownasprince
09-11-2006, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE]Many claim, and his poles, podiums, wins, and championships bear them out, that he is the greatest Formula 1 driver of all time.[/QUOTE

I note that the word "sportsmanship" has not appeared here. Schuey is a dud - a prick of a sportsman - remember the two incidents where he speared into opponents so that he would win the championship?

Not only is he a dud sport - what about the FIA - anyone who saw the footage of the "incident" that led to Alonso being penalised knows that this is rapidly becoming a sport that is on the nose.

I agree with Chris - MotoGP is much more exciting - but I did stay up till after midnight watching the race on Sunday.

Ian

martin schulz
09-12-2006, 03:26 AM
I think he's making a good choice, retiring at the top of his game, and not waiting to be a has-been.

It will be nice to see if he goes on to other series. Sportscars? LeMans? Nascar? ;)

I don't think so. That's not his style. He will probably take a job as Ferrari representative and play football on charity-events.

With 7 world champion titles he is probably the best F1 driver ever, but on the other hand he is not much of a popstar or sport icon. He is just the typical german Mr. Niceguy who is exceptionally good in driving cars - nothing more, nothing less. No wonder Hakkinen was more asked for as comercialfigure. The guy is funny, has an attractive smirk and was goodlooking (as is his wife). MS is just a boring perfectionist.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-12-2006, 05:24 AM
I saw him at Macao (F3) the year before he entered FI.

Makes me feel rather old.

I don't think we can compare drivers from different generations, but I wonder if anyone will ever beat Schumacher's record. He put Ferrari, a team once dismissed as hopeless, firmly back in front.